Random Religion Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Religion?

Catholicism
12%
Protestantism
11%
Eastern Orthodox
5%
Judaism
2%
Sunni Islam
3%
Shiite Islam
1%
European Neo-Pagan
4%
Tribal Religion
1%
Hindu
1%
Buddhist
4%
Shinto
No votes
Atheism
34%
Agnostic
10%
Other (specify)
10%
Mormon
0%
Scientologist
No votes

Total votes: 224

ILuvEire

Re: What religion are you?

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-10-29, 5:53

Oleksij wrote:There are other smaller disputes such as the issue of the priests' celibacy, baptism practices, etc.
BEARDS. Don't forget the beards.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2011-10-30, 0:29

Babelfish wrote:Well, I believe there is no deity, but I'm not sure about it and not sure it can be proven.

Then, you are agnostic atheist, right?
Native: [flag=]pt-br[/flag]
Learning: [flag=]en-us[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag]

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2011-11-04, 17:48

Well, I'm not sure it can't be proven either, and haven't given this issue that much thought. I'll stick with atheist.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-11-04, 17:59

I'm just another first-generation American Catholic kid baptized from birth and confirmed more than a decade later. Even though we follow some Catholic traditions we don't really tend to give much thought to the Church besides that. Needless to say I'm not that religious but I'm still encouraged to keep a bit of respect towards the Church. The only rule I live by is "do not steal".
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2011-11-04, 21:27

Michael wrote:The only rule I live by is "do not steal".
Yeah, the irrationally fundamentalistic "do not kill" isn't particularly important in modern society.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2011-11-04, 21:47

Killing is acceptable in extreme circumstances, such as killing in self-defence. On the other hand, stealing is not acceptable under any circumstances. You may not steal in self-defence.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2011-11-04, 22:00

Sophie wrote:Killing is acceptable in extreme circumstances, such as killing in self-defence. On the other hand, stealing is not acceptable under any circumstances. You may not steal in self-defence.

What about to defend yourself against death?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

|-|[|=

Postby |-|[|= » 2011-11-05, 1:38

You don't need to kill in self defense.

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2011-11-05, 1:57

I didn't say you had to kill in self-defence, did I? What I mean is that if in defending your own life you accidentally kill your attacker, then you have done nothing wrong.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2011-11-05, 3:18

Sophie wrote:Killing is acceptable in extreme circumstances, such as killing in self-defence. On the other hand, stealing is not acceptable under any circumstances. You may not steal in self-defence.
You could steal to survive starvation, though. :hmm:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-11-05, 3:21

You don't need to kill in self defense.
Sometimes you do, or rather, you have to use deadly force. Like Sophie said, if they die because of it, you're not at fault.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-11-05, 5:01

Sophie wrote:Killing is acceptable in extreme circumstances, such as killing in self-defence. On the other hand, stealing is not acceptable under any circumstances.
What about copyright infringement? A lot of people act as though it is acceptable.

johntm

Postby johntm » 2011-11-05, 6:39

|-|[|= wrote:You don't need to kill in self defense.

Actually, sometimes you do (and I believe the Bible says something on this, but I can't remember where so that's not much help).
Native: [flag]en-US[/flag]
Learning: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
"The goal [of learning foreign languages] is to speak not so that you can be understood, but so that you cannot be misunderstood."-Earl W. Stevick
"You either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses."-Anonymous

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2011-11-05, 7:59

johntm wrote:I believe the Bible says something on this, but I can't remember where so that's not much help).
Genesis 9:6 – "Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed …." If the Bible sanctions that, then I think you can safely say it also sanctions killing in self-defence.

Hunef wrote:You could steal to survive starvation, though.
But then the owner of the loaf of bread would be morally bound to save your life by offering you his food – so taking it from him wouldn't count as stealing.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-11-05, 13:54

But then the owner of the loaf of bread would be morally bound to save your life by offering you his food – so taking it from him wouldn't count as stealing.
Only if the owner of the loaf followed those morals. I think they did a study on peoples' ability to harm someone else, and people make a distinction between say harming someone by doing something (e.g. pushing someone into the river), and harming someone by failing to do something.

Wishful Learner

Postby Wishful Learner » 2011-11-05, 16:18

I prefer to just say 'non-religious', but I guess I'm agnostic. Religious beliefs don't really have a place in my life, it's not something I really have much of an opinion on. I prefer to focus on life and living, and worry about death when I get to it (although I do admit the thought of dying scares me a lot).
Native | Pas mal, nicht schlecht, no es malo | mi piace | Het is goed, niet waar? | わかりません | 我 是 英国人。| שלום, נעים מאוד | Quero...

Pawb at y peth y bo

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-11-05, 16:46

The Old Testament is not the New Testament.
What about copyright infringement? A lot of people act as though it is acceptable.
Because it's a victimless crime, maybe?
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-11-05, 16:52

How is it a victimless crime? Isn't the victim the music company and the artist?

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-11-05, 19:00

If you're simply making a duplicate of an existing file, they're still getting paid royalties. Nobody is being harmed by it. At worst there's a small loss of revenue, which is more or less inconsequential when you're a multimillionaire who makes most of your money from touring, not sales.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

'''

Postby ''' » 2011-11-06, 8:10

Not to mention that often time I won't buy something even if I can't get it "illegally". If I have downloaded something though, and I like it, I'm more likely to get the real version, because I do prefer things in physical form. It can raise revenue to let people dl something.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Return to “Politics and Religion”