Random Religion Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Religion?

Catholicism
12%
Protestantism
11%
Eastern Orthodox
5%
Judaism
2%
Sunni Islam
3%
Shiite Islam
1%
European Neo-Pagan
4%
Tribal Religion
1%
Hindu
1%
Buddhist
4%
Shinto
No votes
Atheism
34%
Agnostic
10%
Other (specify)
10%
Mormon
0%
Scientologist
No votes

Total votes: 224

Chekhov

Re: What religion are you?

Postby Chekhov » 2011-10-22, 16:02

Tenebrarum wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Buddhism appeals to me, too, but I don't consider it a "religion". At the very least, it's not a theistic one, so there's no contradiction between ticking both that and the "Atheist" box.
It can be a religion, a theistic one to boot. :wink: Buddhism can be... anything.
Buddhism is a religion whether theistic or not. How else do you explain supernatural concepts like reincarnation?
One of the firmest atheists here, btw.
Oh yeah? Come at me, bro.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-10-22, 16:45

Chekhov wrote:Buddhism is a religion whether theistic or not. How else do you explain supernatural concepts like reincarnation?

Reincarnation might or might not be the way you understand it. It might not even be in the original teaching of Buddha at all.

Even if Buddha indeed believed so himself, you can look at it as how he made sense of the universe. Of course that's only one view. But think: Parmenides postulated horror vacui, which sounds funny to us nowadays, but does that make what he taught a religion?

So Buddhism can be either a religion or a very esoteric philosophy. Up to you.

Chekhov wrote:
One of the firmest atheists here, btw.

Oh yeah? Come at me, bro.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-10-22, 21:06

Remis wrote:Huh. That seems weird. I guess it's a Norway-thing then (or a Norway and some other countries-thing, for that matter).

Confirmation is done here in Finland as well. I think it's an Evangelical-Lutheran thing, which I guess covers most Nordic countries as the dominant religion. Most Finns go through confirmation at 15, there's a camp that belongs to the process, too. Nowadays there's a secular alternative to it as well, the Prometheus camp. Confirmation is celebrated by a reasonably big celebration with (usually rather pricey) gifts expected from family members and relatives to the confirmee. Many teens go through it just for the gifts and the celebration.

Me, I'm an atheist, but whether I'm an agnostic or gnostic atheist I'm not fully sure of. Some days I think that it's obvious that there can be knowledge about the existence of God, some days I think it's obvious that there can't be such knowledge. But I definitely don't believe in god/gods, and that makes me atheist. (Here's a link if you don't see how I can be an agnostic or gnostic atheist.)

I was brought up by atheists, in a rather unreligious extended family, but since Evangelical-Lutheran Christianity is the state religion in Finland and 80% of people still belong to that church, I must have been very influenced by it. I've been baptised and went through confirmation and did attend Evangelical-Lutheran religion class in primary school and all that. I can't say I was ever religious, though. It's just not how my brain works. I love fantasy books that involve magic, but actually I believe in the supernatural even less than deities. I could imagine a natural deity, but never a supernatural one. I'm not even sure what "supernatural" is supposed to mean, really. I can't rationalise the term, because I don't believe things can happen in the natural world that somehow are not of the natural world, or unpredictable or unrepeatable. So in my head "supernatural" end up meaning "something that doesn't exist, or has no effect". A useless concept, in other words. Oh well.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-10-22, 21:19

So Buddhism can be either a religion or a very esoteric philosophy. Up to you.
Can't it be both? Christianity, Islam and Taoism have all made significant contributions to philosophy. I'd say they're a little of either.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2011-10-22, 22:46

I was baptised Eastern Orthodox, and since the Eastern Orthodox Churches do not practice confirmation, thankfully I did not have to go through it, otherwise it would have been an ethical dilemma for me. In reality I'm an atheist.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
My Youtube Channel
Last.fm

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2011-10-23, 0:32

I'm a Friday Night Chocolatarian Aphrodite Witness and don't you ever try converting me.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-10-23, 3:35

I guess Chekhov is right after all. I'm not one of the stoutest atheists, since my beliefs have to them a whiff of Pastafarianism.

Praised be His Holy Noodliness!
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-10-23, 9:11

Oleksij wrote:I was baptised Eastern Orthodox, and since the Eastern Orthodox Churches do not practice confirmation, thankfully I did not have to go through it, otherwise it would have been an ethical dilemma for me. In reality I'm an atheist.

To this day I'm not sure why it was not an ethical dilemma for me. I mean, confirmation is totally voluntary, and I was already 15 when I did it, and I was an atheist by that time. Probably it was just that I was so used to, from the general model of behaviour in this country, that religious stuff is empty rites. For me it was natural to think that only priests are really religious, the rest of us just go through the motions. That coupled with how I was relatively apathetic about religion in the first place at that age. Just a couple years later, I would have been so self-identified as an atheist already that doing the confirmation would have felt very wrong.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-10-23, 13:07

Other.

I was raised non-religious. My father too, my mother has been raised protestant (Nederlands-hervormd) though. And I grew up in a catholic area, so I guess christianity has formed my religious beliefs after all a bit.

Although religion has never played a part in my life when I grew up, I've been convinced God (or, at times: something like that) exists since I was 7. So I'm absolutely no atheist or agnost, but as I don't belong to any church, I don't really know what religion I am. I'm no exception in the Netherlands, lots of people here don't belong to a church but still believe firmly in God.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-10-23, 15:41

Tenebrarum wrote:I guess Chekhov is right after all. I'm not one of the stoutest atheists, since my beliefs have to them a whiff of Pastafarianism.

Praised be His Holy Noodliness!
TOUCHED BY HIS NOODLY APPENDAGE.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-10-26, 1:20

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-05-08, 3:06, edited 1 time in total.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2011-10-26, 2:04

Imyirtseshem wrote:The definition of what is 'supernatural' depends on whether you think something is natural or not. Rebirth could simply be a part of the universe and it's workings. "supernatural" can just be a term given to it by people who believe it to be false.
"Supernatural" doesn't imply unbelief, it's what can't be explained by science or something that humans can't understand. While for many people the things that can't be scientifically explained and the things they don't believe in are the same, you'll for instance find plenty of people who believe in and actively seek out ghosts but call them supernatural.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-10-26, 4:29

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-05-08, 3:06, edited 1 time in total.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-10-27, 7:49

Imyirtseshem wrote:Sure, I understand that. To me, there is only the natural. There can be nothing supernatural. Now, that depends on what I think is real or not real. Someone else will have different ideas on that. Because of that difference, we have such categories as 'natural' and 'supernatural'.

So someone who believes ghosts are real basically believe it's a natural phenomenon? That's how I would see it, too, because from my point of view there is only the natural too. But some people specifically say that they believe in the 'supernatural' and I don't really know what they mean when they say that. And if 'supernatural' simply refers to "that which I personally don't believe in", then wouldn't that more accurately be 'fictional' or 'imaginary'? I guess 'supernatural' is just a term that's supposed to sound more credible than 'magic/al'. A tricky concept it is, to be sure.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-10-27, 8:33

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-05-08, 3:01, edited 1 time in total.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2011-10-27, 22:16

By my definition, a supernatural phenomenon is one that can't be verified scientifically. As soon an alleged supernatural phenomenon is verified it's a natural one. The question is then whether there are real phenomena that can't even in principle be verified scientifically. I think so, but no one can ever experience any such phenomenon, so effectively (to us humans) they don't exist.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Imyirtseshem

Postby Imyirtseshem » 2011-10-28, 5:43

Last edited by Imyirtseshem on 2012-05-08, 3:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2011-10-28, 12:04

I voted for Eastern Orthodox. I'm baptised since childhood according to the tradition (everyone is baptised around) but I still don't know all (if any) dogmas of Orthodoxy and of course I have no idea if I'm a real Orthodox Christian. The main thing is your belief and not religious rules.
However, I like Buddhism and Paganism too :yep:

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2011-10-28, 13:39

Lada wrote:I voted for Eastern Orthodox. I'm baptised since childhood according to the tradition (everyone is baptised around) but I still don't know all (if any) dogmas of Orthodoxy

The three most contentious issues that separate Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy are

(1) the use of the 'filoque' clause (Et in Spiritum Sanctum, Dominum, et vivificantem: qui ex Patre Filioque procedit 'And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, and giver of life, who from the Father and the Son proceeds'), to which the Eastern Orthodox Church objects (Καὶ εἰς τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον, τὸ κύριον, τὸ ζωοποιόν, τὸ ἐκ τοῦ Πατρὸς ἐκπορευόμενον 'And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and the giver of life, which from the Father proceeds').

(2) the use of unleavened bread in the Western Church

(3) the issue of primacy of the Patriarchates, wherein the Catholic Church considers the Bishop of Rome (the Pope) to be the first, and most senior of all the bishops, while the Orthodox Church, while accepting his hierarchical primacy, considers him simply a primus inter pares, a first amongst equals.

There are other smaller disputes such as the issue of the priests' celibacy, baptism practices, etc. but they are not the main factors contributing to the Schism, officially. It should be said that the Catholic Church does not view the majority of the differences as significant enough to constitute a real schism, and considers them simply 'acceptable interpretational deviations' from ecclesiastical norm.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
My Youtube Channel
Last.fm

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2011-10-28, 21:15

I voted for Agnostic but I should've chosen Atheist... I took a glance in Wikipedia following Varislintu's post, and figured that Atheist could mean also a person who doesn't really know whether a deity exists or not - like I am. Well, I believe there is no deity, but I'm not sure about it and not sure it can be proven.

I'm also Jewish - better described as Hebrew, I suppose, since it's a matter of nationality rather than religion (I don't really know why the term Hebrew went out of use nowadays, it was used a lot during the earlier days of Zionism. Ooph). Anyway, my family is secular as well; my paternal grandfather was religious, even ordained as a rabbi (though he didn't serve as one since he hated the religious establishment), but my father became secular during his university studies and my mother's family was never religious. We did celebrate the holidays and I did undergo Brith and Bar-Mitzva, but all that was when I was younger. Today on holidays we just meet the family to feast, a good Jewish custom :lol:
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Return to “Politics and Religion”