Random Religion Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Religion?

Catholicism
11%
Protestantism
11%
Eastern Orthodox
5%
Judaism
3%
Sunni Islam
3%
Shiite Islam
1%
European Neo-Pagan
4%
Tribal Religion
1%
Hindu
1%
Buddhist
5%
Shinto
No votes
Atheism
33%
Agnostic
10%
Other (specify)
12%
Mormon
0%
Scientologist
No votes

Total votes: 232

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Random Religion Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-24, 4:11

It's like how el Día de Muertos has its origins in pre-Hispanic/indigenous Mexican festivals for honoring the dead but was later associated with All Saints' Day/Día de Todos los Santos.

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-20, 1:53

I know this forum is overwhelmingly unreligious but if there is some Christian/Jewish person reading this, I'd like to know how you feel about the story of Babel. I've always found the idea that linguistic diversity is a punishment from God very degrading, and if I were Christian or Jewish, I think I'd feel weird loving so much something that is meant to be a punishment.

Also, does anybody know more positive myths on how linguistic diversity came to be?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-12-20, 6:20

Synalepha wrote:I know this forum is overwhelmingly unreligious but if there is some Christian/Jewish person reading this, I'd like to know how you feel about the story of Babel. I've always found the idea that linguistic diversity is a punishment from God very degrading, and if I were Christian or Jewish, I think I'd feel weird loving so much something that is meant to be a punishment.

Also, does anybody know more positive myths on how linguistic diversity came to be?

Yes, I have to say that I couldn’t understand why it was considered, according to the Bible passage of Babel, like a curse from God, So I “investigated” a little, and in Catholicism there is a counterpart story to this one. It is the “Pentecostes” story, and also explanation of this holiday that here is called “Segunda Pascua”, and nobody knows really why.

It explains the story of the Apostles receiving the “gift of tongues” in order that they could be understood by everybody. I have read, that this story is seen as a forgiveness from God, related to the punishment of Babel.

You can look on the internet for “the miracle of Pentecostes”.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2019-12-21, 22:42

This poll is proof that culture isn't contagious.. :partyhat:

I chose Judaism because it's really nice, old and good laws. Of course my chosen faith is Odinism because of ancestry. Then growing up i was forced to be Christianized and go to private school.. so I have no opinion on religion. I see it as a man-made construct separate from real life
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2019-12-22, 13:17

Funny enough i had to spend some days in hospital recently, and before that was paperwork where the nurse asked me (verbally) "what's your religion?". I said "Christian" because it's one of those small hospitals with the saintly names.. so yeah convenience :para: :wink:

On Judaism: anyone can be converted if you want. It's kind of difficult and expensive unless you get married to one tho.. Still, it's possible :idea:

-G

Vlürch wrote:For what it's worth, though, I don't consider myself a Christian and have never done so, except when it's the only possibility; if a Christian asks me if I'm a Christian with the implication that me not being a Christian is bad, I'll call myself a Christian for that moment. Same goes for a Muslim asking me if I'm a Muslim with the implication that me not being a Muslim is bad, so I'll call myself a Muslim for that moment. I wouldn't call myself a Jew under any circumstances, though, although I guess in an inclusive Pan-Abrahamic way it would be kind of antisemitic to imply that if I'm a Christian and Muslim, I'm not a Jew as well... but the Bible says something about it being bad for people to call themselves Jews if they aren't really Jews, so... I mean, I don't really take the Bible literally, but still. It's also different since Jews are an ethnic group with their own cultures and languages and everything, and not anyone can just convert to Judaism.
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-06-22, 20:47

I am trying to read the firsts verses of the Bible in its original language, that is in Hebrew, if I am not mistaken. But someone told me that it was not the same text for Christian and for Jewish religion, and I always thought that the Genesis was the same for both. Does anybody have any idea about it that could confirm this or not? :hmm:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-22, 22:15

It's the same except for the New Testament which was written in Ancient Greek. The Old Testament was written in Biblical Hebrew but people actually spoke Aramaic in public

If you get a copy of the Tanakh you'll see that it's just the Old Testament since Judaism doesn't recognize the New Testament

Maybe you're thinking of the Talmud. That was written later on for Jewish laws. I think there's actually written Aramaic in Jewish mystical texts as well as in the Apocrypha

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-06-23, 1:08

Antea wrote:I am trying to read the firsts verses of the Bible in its original language, that is in Hebrew, if I am not mistaken. But someone told me that it was not the same text for Christian and for Jewish religion, and I always thought that the Genesis was the same for both. Does anybody have any idea about it that could confirm this or not?

It's complicated.

We don't have an extant copy of the original version of any Hebrew scriptures. The version of the Hebrew Bible considered authoritative by Jews is called the Masoretic Text. It was codified in its present form at some point between the 2nd century BCE and the 2nd century CE but not completely finalised until about the 10th century CE. The Samaritans have their own authoritative version of the first five books (the only ones they consider canonical) called the Samaritan Pentateuch, which is more confidently dated to the 2nd century BCE. There are over 6,000 differences between the two texts. And then there's the Septuagint, a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible that was completed in the 3rd and 2nd centuries BCE. It differs somewhat from both the Masoretic Text and the Samaritan Pentateuch.

At this point, it's impossible to say which text's version of Genesis is closest to the original Hebrew text, which was composed in the 6th and 5th centuries BCE. At the time of the composition of the New Testament, most early Christians could only read Greek and not Hebrew so they read the scriptures in Greek translation (the Septuagint) and this influenced how they interpreted the Pentateuch and other books of the Hebrew Bible.

As a result, even though most modern Christian translations of the Hebrew Bible are based primarily on the Masoretic Text, translators often refer to the Septuagint to make sense of certain passages. (Jerome, who produced the Latin Vulgate, which was the only authoritative version in the Roman Catholic Church until relatively recently, even translated entire books from the Septuagint and not the Masoretic Text.) I don't know much about versions of the Masoretic Text produced by Christian scholars, but I don't see how they wouldn't take into account differences in the Septuagint (and possibly other scriptural variants as well, like the Dead Sea Scrolls).

Meanwhile, Jewish scholars produced their own body of interpretations, some of which was codified as the Talmud (in more than one version!) and some of which exists outside of it. Naturally, these interpretations influenced the "corrections" to the Masoretic Text which were made between the 6th century BCE and the 10th century CE!

Fortunately, the differences are relatively minor--but small differences can have a big impact in theology! For your purposes, though, I doubt it will matter much.

tl;dr: There probably are some differences between a Hebrew Bible text produced by Jewish scholars for religious use and one produced by Christian scholars for religious use, but they're pretty insignificant.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-06-23, 2:21

linguoboy wrote:
Antea wrote:I am trying to read the firsts verses of the Bible in its original language, that is in Hebrew, if I am not mistaken. But someone told me that it was not the same text for Christian and for Jewish religion, and I always thought that the Genesis was the same for both. Does anybody have any idea about it that could confirm this or not?

It's complicated. (...)

Thanks a lot for your complete explanation !! It helped me a lot to understand. Now it is much more clearer :yep:

Gormur wrote:It's the same except for the New Testament which was written in Ancient Greek. The Old Testament was written in Biblical Hebrew but people actually spoke Aramaic in public

If you get a copy of the Tanakh you'll see that it's just the Old Testament since Judaism doesn't recognize the New Testament

Maybe you're thinking of the Talmud. That was written later on for Jewish laws. I think there's actually written Aramaic in Jewish mystical texts as well as in the Apocrypha

Thanks !! :D

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-11-25, 5:16

I didn't know where to put this. Basically, I'm starting to wonder if people from the New Testament existed, including authors. Don't worry I've read the entire Christian Bible and was forced to learn about it growing up. I'm getting into apocryphal texts and the more I read the less I believe that some of these people existed

I don't even think it matters whether or not Paul or his ilk existed since whoever wrote under that name seems to be a liar. If he was a Pharisee he would've written in Biblical Hebrew and if he didn't know it, he was just a secular Jew aka a heretic

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2021-04-06, 11:53

Det er mot min religiøn til å skrive på engelsk her. :para:
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-04-07, 12:45

Mas que pecado!
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2021-04-08, 17:15

Osias wrote:Mas que pecado!

Nettopp. Verre en synd!
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Return to “Politics and Religion”