Random Religion Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Religion?

Catholicism
11%
Protestantism
11%
Eastern Orthodox
5%
Judaism
3%
Sunni Islam
3%
Shiite Islam
1%
European Neo-Pagan
4%
Tribal Religion
1%
Hindu
1%
Buddhist
5%
Shinto
No votes
Atheism
33%
Agnostic
10%
Other (specify)
12%
Mormon
0%
Scientologist
No votes

Total votes: 232

'''
Re: What religion are you?

Postby ''' » 2011-10-22, 9:42

not to rain on the parade but I think I already started a topic like this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24652&p=469143&hilit=+religion#p469143
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Ashkhan

Postby Ashkhan » 2011-10-22, 9:48

Raised as a Catholic, growing as an Agnostic, reaching the Atheism stage as an adult. I refuse to believe I'm a puppet on the invisible strings attached to somewhere beyond the physical dimension.
Polish (pl) Native English (en) Fluent French (fr) (Re)Learning Russian (ru) Italian (it) Some day?

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-10-22, 9:51

''' wrote:not to rain on the parade but I think I already started a topic like this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24652&p=469143&hilit=+religion#p469143

Should the topics be merged then?

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-10-22, 9:52

God shall smite this forum for it is infested with non-believers

Ashkhan

Postby Ashkhan » 2011-10-22, 9:54

Rumpetroll wrote:God shall smite this forum for it is infested with non-believers

Which one? 'Cause, you know, there's a shitload of them.
Personally I want the Great Cthulhu to do this.
Polish (pl) Native English (en) Fluent French (fr) (Re)Learning Russian (ru) Italian (it) Some day?

MillMaths

Postby MillMaths » 2011-10-22, 10:01

Remis

Postby Remis » 2011-10-22, 10:27

My dad is atheist or agnostic, I think, and was raised non-religious. I think his parents were agnostics. My mum was raised non-religious as well (aside from going to Church as a tradition), but she is definitely either a spiritist or agnostic (likely the former; she believes in "spirits"/"powers," that there are "evil" powers/spirits, and also healing). Both my parents are baptised and confirmed, however. I'm pretty sure they are, anyway.
I'm atheist and was raised non-religious. I'm not baptised nor confirmed, and the only times I've been to Church have been when it was mandatory to go (during Christmas with class, during a baptisation/confirmation/wedding, etc.).

My mum took me to a healer once, who used this pendulum thing to determine whether my chakras/chi (apparently these guys mix up Hinduism and Chinese philosophy?), and uh... It didn't work that well for me.
Last edited by Remis on 2011-10-22, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-10-22, 10:31

I've always thought of confirmation as a purely Roman Catholic sort of thing. I didn't know Lutherans* did that as well.

(I'm making an assumption here)

Remis

Postby Remis » 2011-10-22, 10:36

Yeah, I'm talking about Lutherans/Protestants (those are not exactly the same thing, are they? I'm unsure; OED says that the Lutheran Church is a branch [or a part?] of Protestantism. The ones in Norway call themselves Protestants, anyway).
They do it in Norway at least; I don't know if it's a "thing" in other Lutheran countries. Most of the time when I mention confirmations to people from other countries, they don't know what I'm talking about until I say that it's something like a bar mitzvah.
It's pretty big in Norway; most people do it, even if they're not Christian (and many of the ones who aren't do it through an apparently Norway-exclusive thing called Secular Humanism, which is a lifestance rather than a religion).

Edit: A quick search on Wikipedia tells me that Norway's Evangelical-Lutheran. Okay then.
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-10-22, 10:52

To me, Lutherans are a branch of Protestant Christianity, but yeah, most Christians I know are Protestants and I've never been to a confirmation, nor have I heard of people going to one over here, but I do know what it is since I have Catholic relatives. I find secular humanism to be very popular philosophy in the west. It's pretty far from being a Norway-exclusive thing, in my opinion.

Remis

Postby Remis » 2011-10-22, 11:01

Huh. That seems weird. I guess it's a Norway-thing then (or a Norway and some other countries-thing, for that matter).
The "exclusive" thing I referred to is something we call "Humanetikk" (Humanethics), which is a branch of secular Humanism, I guess; I just misunderstood Wikipedia and thought that was the translation used for it. :P

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2011-10-22, 11:27

I am agnostic since I do not know and I can not know whether there is a god who created the universe, the earth and all earth's creatures. Yet it seems very unlikely to me, still I can not know, though. Therefore I am agnostic and not an atheist.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

'''

Postby ''' » 2011-10-22, 12:37

hlysnan wrote:
''' wrote:not to rain on the parade but I think I already started a topic like this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24652&p=469143&hilit=+religion#p469143

Should the topics be merged then?

Possibly, my one concern is the polls They are fragile things, tending to reset whenever you touch them.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

|-|[|=

Postby |-|[|= » 2011-10-22, 13:59

Poll edited (added other, mormon, scientology). Please revote.

johntm

Postby johntm » 2011-10-22, 14:02

|-|[|= wrote:cientology

I thought this was about religion, not cults...
Native: [flag]en-US[/flag]
Learning: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
"The goal [of learning foreign languages] is to speak not so that you can be understood, but so that you cannot be misunderstood."-Earl W. Stevick
"You either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses."-Anonymous

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-10-22, 14:06

johntm wrote:

Well, atheism isn't really a religion and it's up there as well.

Remis

Postby Remis » 2011-10-22, 14:29

Rumpetroll wrote:
johntm wrote:

Well, atheism isn't really a religion and it's up there as well.

"Non-religious" or "other" could work for both scientology and atheism (and agnosticism, because that's not a religion either).
That said, I think it's interesting to see the percentage of atheists/agnostics vs. religious people, so personally I think it should stay (Scientology though? Aren't they just extra crazy Christians? Might as well put Westboro Baptist up there).

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-10-22, 14:40

Remis wrote:Scientology though? Aren't they just extra crazy Christians?
Nope, not even close. They're more like your typical UFO cult, although they have bizarre doctrines all their own. Read the Wikipedia article on them sometime and try to not burst out laughing.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-10-22, 15:07

linguoboy wrote:Buddhism appeals to me, too, but I don't consider it a "religion". At the very least, it's not a theistic one, so there's no contradiction between ticking both that and the "Atheist" box.

It can be a religion, a theistic one to boot. :wink: Buddhism can be... anything.

One of the firmest atheists here, btw.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2011-10-22, 15:20

I went with "Other" since none of the other options suits me. I was raised as a Catholic but the idea of monotheism sounds just wrong to me, polytheism is slightly better but I don't believe in deities as such; I do believe in higher (or lower, maybe it's better to just say other) planes of existence beyond our own. So yeah ... no idea what that'd be called.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Return to “Politics and Religion”