Libya's brighter future (?)

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Hannahanneke
Libya's brighter future (?)

Postby Hannahanneke » 2011-08-23, 9:21

http://www.therecord.com/opinion/editor ... ter-future
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... st-gaddafi

How do you think the future of Libya will look like? Are democrazy and elections a realistic outcome?

Yesterday on the news here (één) a professor said that the country could fall apart in 3 regions, 'cause of the different tribes and interests. Western interests in the oil could also influence the democratisation process. The rebels said they wouldn't take revenge on all the pro-Qadhafi people, but it looks like they're doing it now anyway.

I find the whole situation difficult to judge and the future of Libya looks very insecure. What do you think?

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Re: Libya's brighter future (?)

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-08-23, 9:34

I think the same as you and I doubt anyone can predict the future at this point.

What I find remarkeble was the way it was presented here in the press. It kept talking about 'opstandelingen' and 'rebellen', words with a quite negative tone, but at the same time it was quite clear for everyone that these were the good people, and that Kadafi was the bad one.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

MillMaths

Re: Libya’s brighter future (?)

Postby MillMaths » 2011-08-23, 10:02

Hannahanneke wrote:Yesterday on the news here (één) a professor said that the country could fall apart in 3 regions, 'cause of the different tribes and interests. Western interests in the oil could also influence the democratisation process. The rebels said they wouldn't take revenge on all the pro-Qadhafi people, but it looks like they're doing it now anyway.
I agree, from what I understand about the tribal nature of Libyan society, that tribal differences can be an obstacle to uniting the Libyans during the transition to a post-Gaddafi government, but that's what they have to do at this stage if the country is to avoid anarchy. Meanwhile the West should keep interference in Libyan affairs to a minimum. Okay, NATO has already sent in troops to protect Libyan citizens from being massacred by Gaddafi's supporters. If they're consistent, then they may also have to send in troops if the tables turn and the rebels start slaughtering pro-Gaddafi supporters. Western military intervention should only be limited to preventing bloodshed by either side, rebels or Gaddafi supporters, and should not encroach on the internal politics of the country. The present and future of Libya is for the Libyan people and the Libyan people alone to decide. And oil should never even come into the equation!

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:It kept talking about 'opstandelingen' and 'rebellen', words with a quite negative tone, but at the same time it was quite clear for everyone that these were the good people, and that Kadafi was the bad one.
The term "rebels" refers in general to those who are opposed to the people currently in power, regardless of which side is good or bad, right or wrong. It's just as conceivable that a government regarded as "good/right" is having to deal with rebels who are seen as "bad/wrong".

Hannahanneke wrote:Are democrazy and elections a realistic outcome?
I'd find them crazy too. :lol:

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Re: Libya’s brighter future (?)

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-08-23, 10:10

Sophie wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:It kept talking about 'opstandelingen' and 'rebellen', words with a quite negative tone, but at the same time it was quite clear for everyone that these were the good people, and that Kadafi was the bad one.
The term "rebels" refers in general to those who are opposed to the people currently in power, regardless of which side is good or bad, right or wrong. It's just as conceivable that a government regarded as "good/right" is having to deal with rebels who are seen as "bad/wrong".

Yes, maybe, but in Tunesia they were called 'demonstranten', which has a more positive connotation (at least for me) than the term 'rebellen' that were used for Libyan people. I guess the difference is that in Libya it turned into a war, it wasn't just protesting anymore.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-08-23, 16:08

Libya turned into a war because the colonel savagely put down the protests, remember.

I'm not sure what the outcome of this will be but I think that factionalism based on tribal or regional identity is unlikely. Both eastern and western Libyans have been united in their hatred of the colonel's regime and desire for more democracy. The question is whether that will actually happen or the revolution will get derailed like Egypt's seems to have been.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Hannahanneke

Postby Hannahanneke » 2011-08-24, 8:15

Chekhov wrote:I'm not sure what the outcome of this will be but I think that factionalism based on tribal or regional identity is unlikely. Both eastern and western Libyans have been united in their hatred of the colonel's regime and desire for more democracy. The question is whether that will actually happen or the revolution will get derailed like Egypt's seems to have been.

But maybe they were only united 'cause of the "shared" enemy and the shared goals? And they will fall apart again once "the shared enemy" is gone? I don't think that 'cause they were united for a while, they will stay united... It looks only like a small proof.

Me too, i'm afraid the revolution will get derailed. For which purpose did all the revolutions in the Arab spring serve if they get derailed anyway? They didn't bring Qadhafi down to have a president/leader friendly to the west for 10 years, who will be thrown off again by some leader from the army.

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-08-24, 10:17

Chekhov wrote:I'm not sure what the outcome of this will be but I think that factionalism based on tribal or regional identity is unlikely. Both eastern and western Libyans have been united in their hatred of the colonel's regime and desire for more democracy. The question is whether that will actually happen or the revolution will get derailed like Egypt's seems to have been.

Really? I thought the colonel had pretty strong support in Tripoli and coastal towns to the east, especially around his hometown.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-08-24, 16:36

Really? I thought the colonel had pretty strong support in Tripoli and coastal towns to the east, especially around his hometown.
Nope. The east has been firmly under the control of the rebels for months, and most of Tripoli welcomed the uprising and supported it. He does have pockets of loyalists in a few places, but I think most Libyans realize he's finished now.
But maybe they were only united 'cause of the "shared" enemy and the shared goals? And they will fall apart again once "the shared enemy" is gone?
It's a danger, but so far they've been able to avoid serious infighting and that's a good sign.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-08-24, 23:33

Chekhov wrote:
Nope. The east has been firmly under the control of the rebels for months, and most of Tripoli welcomed the uprising and supported it. He does have pockets of loyalists in a few places, but I think most Libyans realize he's finished now.

I meant immediately to the East, but not Cyrenaica.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-08-25, 0:37

The only significant town left around there to him is Sirte. The rest have been recaptured.

For all the TNC's faults, I still believe it's far better than Qaddafi ever was.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Saim

Postby Saim » 2011-08-25, 7:56

Chekhov wrote:The only significant town left around there to him is Sirte. The rest have been recaptured.

For all the TNC's faults, I still believe it's far better than Qaddafi ever was.

NTC.

I completely agree by the way. :P

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-08-27, 2:44

Both are correct.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Saim

Postby Saim » 2011-08-27, 10:01

Oh, damn, would you look at that. :oops: :lol:

Ashkhan

Postby Ashkhan » 2011-08-28, 14:40

http://www.al-bab.com/arab/docs/libya/L ... -Stage.pdf

Libya is an independent Democratic State wherein the people are the source of authorities. The city of Tripoli shall be the capital of the State. Islam is the Religion of the State and the principal source of legislation is Islamic Jurisprudence (Sharia).

Ouch.
Polish (pl) Native English (en) Fluent French (fr) (Re)Learning Russian (ru) Italian (it) Some day?

loqu

Postby loqu » 2011-08-28, 14:49

LOL. In the West's face.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-08-28, 18:02

ITT: people don't know what sharia really is or how it works.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Ashkhan

Postby Ashkhan » 2011-08-28, 18:18

Still, we know Sharia is in contradiction to Democracy.
Polish (pl) Native English (en) Fluent French (fr) (Re)Learning Russian (ru) Italian (it) Some day?

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-08-28, 19:00

Saif al-Islam the heir to Moammar said he wanted Libya to become an Islamic State, so there you go, Sharia either way.

Nah, Tunisia, Egypt and Libya will turn out fine, like Iran Indonesia.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-08-28, 19:20

Still, we know Sharia is in contradiction to Democracy.
No we don't. Interpretations of sharia are about as broad as those of the Torah, ie. extremely. If these revolutions have shown us anything it's that Islam is not incompatible with democracy at all.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Saim

Postby Saim » 2011-08-29, 2:04

There are also some good signs coming from the charter, though;

Arabic is its official language while preserving the linguistic and cultural rights of all components of the Libyan society. The State shall guarantee for non-Moslems the freedom of practicing religious rights [...]

The State shall guarantee for women all opportunities which shall allow her to participate entirely and actively in political, economic and social spheres.

Freedom of opinion for individuals and groups

While the statement about Shariah is certainly worrying I'm still hopeful that we could see a liberal democracy develop out of this. Certainly in the next few decades either scenario is possible. Then again, I don't see hardline Islamism in this charter, just some minimal implied social conservatism ("islamic jurisprudence", "the state shall promote marriage"), alongside some inspiring liberal sentiments. Honestly, I see this as a step in the right direction even though I'm disappointed by the reference to Shariah.

Return to “Politics and Religion”