Random Politics Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random Politics Thread

Postby Johanna » 2018-03-18, 11:28

Saim wrote:
Johanna wrote:Nah, he mentioned Facebook and Google, which are places I suspect men will be reported more often because "being asked out" on those platforms more often translates to "being stalked by a creep" than "that clumsy coworker who doesn't really have a clue but he doesn't mean anything bad".

It seems he's referring to this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-f ... 018-2?IR=T

The Wall Street Journal reports that Facebook and Alphabet's Google have a policy stating employees can ask out a coworker just once.
An ambiguous response counts as a "no."
No matter where you work, it's important to know your company's policy on intra-office dating, and to proceed carefully.

Oh, OK

Still doesn't change anything in practice from what we discussed earlier though :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-18, 17:53

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Saim wrote:""Millenials"" are lazy and expect participation trophies

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/ ... ung-people

wtf

The bit in italics is mine, mocking some of the youth-bashing that was popular on the internet for a while.

Oh, I know. I was reacting to the article, not to you! :P
The article argues that young people are actually perfectionists and are getting severe issues of stress and anxiety due to pressure to succeed. My point was that the contents of the article contradict the idea that young people are lazy and entitled.

Ah. Huh. :hmm:

I mean, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I think both of these viewpoints have a grain of truth behind them but are still wrong and mostly just stereotyping over us. We're neither all lazy nor all perfectionist. Maybe it is true that we're reporting mental disorders a lot more than our parents did. It's certainly true that we have a lot of conveniences our parents didn't have; for instance, I can type something and have someone on the other side of the world see it in just seconds without paying anything, whereas our parents would have literally had to take a pen and paper and make sure to buy exactly the right kinds of stamps and aerograms and so on. But it's also true that a lot of us are facing and/or even just identifying problems that our parents never did. That's part of the reason why we're starting to talk about them more.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-03-18, 18:23

vijayjohn wrote:for instance, I can type something and have someone on the other side of the world see it in just seconds without paying anything

It's only free if someone else pays your internet bill or mobile data, and gifts you a device that can connect to the internet and allows you to input text and send whatever you typed to someone else or post it online.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-18, 19:12

Aurinĭa wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:for instance, I can type something and have someone on the other side of the world see it in just seconds without paying anything

It's only free if someone else pays your internet bill or mobile data, and gifts you a device that can connect to the internet and allows you to input text and send whatever you typed to someone else or post it online.

Okay, fair enough. Still, I can type something and have someone on the other side of the world see it in just seconds.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-03-18, 19:19

vijayjohn wrote:Still, I can type something and have someone on the other side of the world see it in just seconds.

As someone who met her partner and several friends online, I'm definitely aware of that. :P And glad I don't have to bother with letters and stamps to keep in touch with them.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-18, 20:31

Putin won again. What a surprise... :P
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-18, 21:14

I didn't even realize there was an election taking place. :doggy:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 14:15

Another bomb (i.e. after these three) went off yesterday on the road, injuring two bicyclists. Somehow, I feel like I'm not as terrified as I should be.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2018-03-19, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 14:23

How terrified should you be?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 15:36

Maybe not that much on a personal level, but it's hard to say. I've certainly never heard of anything like this happening in Austin before. The police arrested someone for making a bomb threat against SXSW, too. No one has even mentioned the bombs to me except my dad, but people on the Austin subreddit sound pretty terrified. One of my aunts all the way in D. C. is so worried she called my dad just now. He told her he trimmed the hedges on our lawn especially low(?) and told me earlier he thinks I should be careful when getting out of work (why specifically when getting out, I wonder? What about when I'm going there?).

The first three explosions were in East Austin; the last was in a predominantly white neighborhood in Southwest Austin. I live in neither, and none of the explosions so far seems to be particularly close to where I live or work, although the first explosion seems to be the one closest to this house and even closer to where I work. The victims of the first three explosions were all either black or Hispanic, but who knows? We still don't know for sure whether these attacks are linked, who did them, or what their motive(s) was/were. The last explosion was from some sort of device on the side of a road, possibly involving a tripwire, rather than a packaged bomb, which apparently suggests that whoever set it up is no amateur.

One thing that strikes me as very odd right now is how hard it seems to find certain pieces of information from the media, especially about the last attack. The police have been suggesting that the attacks were racially motivated, yet I can't seem to find any information on the ethnicity of the latest victims. Sure, it wasn't a packaged bomb this time, but who do they think is being targeted? Specifically black and Hispanic people? Just minorities in general? Austinites in general? People in general? Are we supposed to make assumptions about the latest victims' ethnicity or what? I read somewhere that a large proportion of the residents in the neighborhood are ethnic minorities, but where isn't that true in Austin?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 15:44

From the racial distribution map I found, looks like that's true of much of the area west of downtown.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 15:52

Aha! This time, both victims were white. And I was wrong to say they said the neighborhood had a large minority population or whatever - I reread the source where I saw that and saw that's what they were saying about the first three bombs, not the latest one.

But the police still think these bombs could be hate crimes? :hmm: Or have they changed their statement now and I'm just not aware of it? Or are they just clueless? They seem pretty clueless, honestly. Idk though, I'm even more clueless.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 15:57

vijayjohn wrote:But they still think these bombs could be hate crimes? :hmm: Or have they changed their statement now and I'm just not aware of it? Or are they just clueless? They seem pretty clueless, honestly. Idk though, I'm even more clueless.

The latest statement I saw said something along the lines of "we're not ruling anything out" which is probably as close as law enforcement ever comes to saying "we're clueless". They had an m.o. and a sketch of a motive and the latest bombing flies in the face of both--not just because the victims were white but because they were two random passers-by.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 16:04

linguoboy wrote:The latest statement I saw said something along the lines of "we're not ruling anything out" which is probably as close as law enforcement ever comes to saying "we're clueless".

Right?

So yeah, pretty scary :|

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-21, 16:18

So speaking of Chicago elections, we had our party primaries yesterday. As expected, the governor's race is going to be the Battle of the Billionaires: Republican incumbent Bruce Rauner (net worth: $1,000,000,000) vs Democratic challenger J.B. Pritzker (net worth: $3,400,000,000).

So far, Pritzker has spent $70 million of his own money for the privilege of taking on Rauner, which just astounds me. Illinois' finances are in terrible shape right now. I don't know why anyone would want the job of running it now, let alone be willing to pay tens of millions just for the chance.

Rauner is historically unpopular and almost lost his primary to a more conservative challenger whose attack ads were so extreme they could have passed for left-wing parodies. Add in the effect of the expected "Democratic wave" at the polls this November and the race is Pritzker's to lose.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-22, 15:21

In Conditt's confession video, "he does not at all mention anything about terrorism, nor does he mention anything about hate," Manley said. "Instead it is the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point." (Austin Police Chief Brian Manley, via the Los Angeles Times)

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-03-28, 22:41

Sixty-one percent of Republicans consider the president a good role model for children.

:shock:
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-28, 23:31

Well, my second cousin's otherwise-not-so-dumb kids freely admit to reading Breitbart and even asked my dad (an atheist who's never voted Republican) whether he reads it, so...

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-04-03, 0:43

An interesting critique of the recently popular qualifier "judeo-christian".

Jüdisch, ehrenhalber?

"Meinten sie jene fast tausendjährige Tradition, die damit begann, dass die Christen, nachdem Papst Urban 1096 zum Ersten Kreuzzug aufgerufen hatte, den Krieg auch im eigenen Land anzettelten, indem sie, vor allem in den Städten am Rhein und Donau, deren jüdische Bewohner ermordeten und vertrieben und ganze jüdische Gemeinden auslöschten?

Meinten sie die Rede von den Gottesmördern, den Brunnenvergiftern, die sich alle Juden, welche die ersten Pogrome überlebt hatten, von ihren christlichen Nachbarn anhören mussten, was für die Juden immer lebensgefährlich wurde, wenn es den Christen schlecht ging und Schuldige gefunden werden mussten – und noch viel schlimmer wurde es, als in den späten Vierzigern des 14. Jahrhunderts die Pest ausbrach. In dem hübschen kleinen Städtchen Weilheim, wo Alexander Dobrindt seinen Wahlkreis hat, gab es, wie die Chroniken berichten, im frühen Mittelalter eine jüdische Gemeinde. Nach dem Pestjahr 1349 lebte dort kein einziger Jude mehr. Und es dauerte fünfhundert Jahre, bis zur zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts, dass Juden sich wieder in diese Ecke von Oberbayern trauten."

"Kann sein, wäre verständlich – man muss sich aber immer vor Augen führen, was diese Menschen wohl dazu gesagt hätten, wenn man sie eingereiht hätte in eine jüdisch-christliche Tradition: Karl Marx, zum Beispiel, für den die Religion insgesamt widerlegt war und der über Martin Luther spottete, der habe „die Pfaffen in Laien verwandelt, weil er die Laien in Pfaffen verwandelt hat“. Oder Sigmund Freud, der die Religion ernst nahm, als Gegenstand der Kritik, als Ausdruck der seelischen Not derer, die sich einen Gott erschaffen mussten. Nein, als Verkörperungen des „jüdisch-christlichen Abendlands“ taugen die wenigsten."

"Diese Geschichte kann man sicher so erzählen (auch wenn Winkler die heidnische Antike und die Fortschreibung und Weitergabe des antiken Wissens durch die Araber weitgehend ausblendet); aber man muss sie als eine Geschichte der Kämpfe und Konflikte erzählen, in welchen die Religion und ihre Repräsentanten meistens auf der Gegenseite standen. Kein Papst hat die Trennung von Kirche und Staat verfügt. Kein König in seinem Gottesgnadentum hat die Erklärung der Menschenrechte erlassen – und selbst die Begründung dieser Rechte aus der Gottesebenbildlichkeit des Menschen heraus, darauf hat neulich der Theologe Friedrich Wilhelm Graf hingewiesen, war nachgereicht; sie kam erst auf, als diese Rechte, gegen die Kirchen, längst erkämpft waren."

"Insofern schließt die Rede von der „jüdisch-christlichen Prägung“ nicht nur den Islam aus – was ja der eigentliche Zweck dieser Behauptung ist. Auch Aufklärung und Atheismus, auch die, gerade in der deutschen Literaturgeschichte, so wichtige Sehnsucht nach jenem heitereren Himmel, in welchem die menschlicheren Götter der Griechen wohnen, werden von dieser Rede, wenn nicht ausgeschlossen, dann doch zu den Apokryphen einer Tradition, deren Kanon angeblich jüdisch-christlich ist (man möchte die Namen all derer, die diese Rede zu Fremden macht in der deutschen Kultur, gar nicht aufzählen müssen)."
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-03, 2:09

All you need to know about the term "Judeo-Christian" is that you never find it being used by Jews.

Return to “Politics and Religion”