Random Politics Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Meera
Global Moderator

Re: Random Politics Thread

Postby Meera » 2017-07-12, 16:11

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:Ironically an email may bring down Drumpf.

Jesus. I should read the news more often.

His son sent emails to a Russian to get damning info on Clinton and the Drumpf team including his son then met this person. Its way more complicated than that, but basically Drumpf junior released the email and a lot of damning info in it.

Wow, that's even more ironic than I thought. Okay. Thanks! :)

Haha yeah exactly since it was Hillary's emails that most Trump supporters complained about :lol:
अहिंसा/เจ
True Love: (hi)
TAC 2017: (hi) (ja) (ko)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-12, 23:38

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Wow, that's even more ironic than I thought. Okay. Thanks! :)

Haha yeah exactly since it was Hillary's emails that most Trump supporters complained about :lol:

That's what I was thinking at first, but now I learned from you that not only is the media focusing on their e-mails just like it had earlier with hers, but also the e-mails with all this damning info were e-mails about her. Oh, the irony!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-07-13, 4:22

Should've used a more secure email server. Sad!!!

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-07-13, 4:29

Practical tip: OMEMO is the encryption scheme that could have prevented this. It has built in plausible deniability.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"

Meera
Global Moderator

Postby Meera » 2017-07-13, 16:03

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Wow, that's even more ironic than I thought. Okay. Thanks! :)

Haha yeah exactly since it was Hillary's emails that most Drumpf supporters complained about :lol:

That's what I was thinking at first, but now I learned from you that not only is the media focusing on their e-mails just like it had earlier with hers, but also the e-mails with all this damning info were e-mails about her. Oh, the irony!

Yup, I am an atheist but seeing this news almost made me believe in karma :P And remember how they shouted "lock her up!" at the RNC over her emails? They should shout this at Trump jr now.

Btw the senate judiciary committee is asking for Trump jr to testify.
अहिंसा/เจ

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-07-13, 18:52

To me, the far right's animosity towards Obama seemed way out of proportion with whatever faults he had, even granting political differences of opinion. I therefore assumed that racism must play some role in it for a considerable amount of the people. But no, that same irrational hatred existed towards Hillary, indeed it seemed even stronger in her case. So I take back whatever charges of racism I may have made towards the far right. The vast majority of them probably aren't racist, just brainwashed and/or stupid.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-07-13, 19:34

Yasna wrote:To me, the far right's animosity towards Obama seemed way out of proportion with whatever faults he had, even granting political differences of opinion. I therefore assumed that racism must play some role in it for a considerable amount of the people. But no, that same irrational hatred existed towards Hillary, indeed it seemed even stronger in her case. So I take back whatever charges of racism I may have made towards the far right. The vast majority of them probably aren't racist, just brainwashed and/or stupid.

This is a pretty elementary logical error. It's perfectly possible to hate two different politicians from the same party for different reasons.

There is plenty of evidence that racism played a significant role in both the 2008 and 2012 elections. And plenty of evidence that sexism played a role in opposition to Clinton in 2016.

In general, I don't think calling a particular group "stupid" has much explanatory power. It mostly seems to mean "doesn't see things the same way I do". That's doubly true of "brainwashed". If you ask conservatives, it's liberal universities which have "brainwashed" us.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Meera
Global Moderator

Postby Meera » 2017-07-13, 22:01

Yasna wrote:To me, the far right's animosity towards Obama seemed way out of proportion with whatever faults he had, even granting political differences of opinion. I therefore assumed that racism must play some role in it for a considerable amount of the people. But no, that same irrational hatred existed towards Hillary, indeed it seemed even stronger in her case. So I take back whatever charges of racism I may have made towards the far right. The vast majority of them probably aren't racist, just brainwashed and/or stupid.

A lot them hated Hillary though because of her stance on BLM, and hated her because she was for allowing Syrian refugees, being open to immigration etc. Right-wingers were horrified that she had a commercial condemning police brutality. You should have seen the comments about her on twitter majority of it was that Hillary loves immigrants, black people, Muslims etc. They were also pretty sexist to her, many of the things she was accused of wouldn't even have been relevant if she were a man.I think I mentioned this before on here, but on the eve of the election I was watching coverage of Hillary in Philadelphia on CSPAN, they had a call in show afterward and one man called in and said something like, "Hillary Clinton can't be president because she is a woman and god doesn't allow women to be president." Not those exact words, but pretty close. A lot of churches in the south were preaching this nonsense. I know a lot of people argue that it didn't, but I think sexism also played a role in her loss.

Also look what her opponent was promising, closed borders and a ban on all Muslims entering the country and a huge symbolic racist wall. With Trump's slogan "Make America Great Again" he was basically saying make America white again, take it back to a time when minorities and women didn't have as many rights as they do now. So racism had a huge role in this election.
अहिंसा/เจ

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-07-13, 22:05

Meera wrote:A lot them hated Hillary though because of her stance on BLM, and hated her because she was for allowing Syrian refugees, being open to immigration etc. Right-wingers were horrified that she had a commercial condemning police brutality. You should have seen the comments about her on twitter majority of it was that Hillary loves immigrants, black people, Muslims etc. They were also pretty sexist to her, many of the things she was accused of wouldn't even have been relevant if she were a man.

Seriously, it's not like Clinton didn't give racists plenty of reason to hate her. Just the fact that she was so popular with African-Americans in the primaries was probably reasons enough for some people.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Meera
Global Moderator

Postby Meera » 2017-07-13, 22:17

linguoboy wrote:
Meera wrote:A lot them hated Hillary though because of her stance on BLM, and hated her because she was for allowing Syrian refugees, being open to immigration etc. Right-wingers were horrified that she had a commercial condemning police brutality. You should have seen the comments about her on twitter majority of it was that Hillary loves immigrants, black people, Muslims etc. They were also pretty sexist to her, many of the things she was accused of wouldn't even have been relevant if she were a man.

Seriously, it's not like Clinton didn't give racists plenty of reason to hate her. Just the fact that she was so popular with African-Americans in the primaries was probably reasons enough for some people.

Yeah exactly, during the election some middle aged guy told me Hillary wants police officers to die and that she supports white genocide. Yeah okay she supports the genocide of her own race :roll: I really don't understand how people get these crazy ideas.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-13, 23:36

Meera wrote:on the eve of the election I was watching coverage of Hillary in Philadelphia on CSPAN, they had a call in show afterward and one man called in and said something like, "Hillary Clinton can't be president because she is a woman and god doesn't allow women to be president." Not those exact words, but pretty close.

Jesus. That sounds like something the Taliban would say.
Yeah exactly, during the election some middle aged guy told me Hillary wants police officers to die and that she supports white genocide. Yeah okay she supports the genocide of her own race :roll:

:lol:
I really don't understand how people get these crazy ideas.

By not thinking about them much? And perhaps believing everything they hear on Facebook

Meera
Global Moderator

Postby Meera » 2017-07-14, 1:52

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:on the eve of the election I was watching coverage of Hillary in Philadelphia on CSPAN, they had a call in show afterward and one man called in and said something like, "Hillary Clinton can't be president because she is a woman and god doesn't allow women to be president." Not those exact words, but pretty close.

Jesus. That sounds like something the Taliban would say.

Yeah, religious crazies in the United States are terrified of Muslim fundamentalists but in a lot of ways they are exactly like them.
अहिंसा/เจ

Michael

Postby Michael » 2017-07-14, 2:23

Meera wrote:Yeah, religious crazies in the United States are terrified of Muslim fundamentalists but in a lot of ways they are exactly like them.

Something that's come to mind from early on as well. Just goes to show how tribal we all still are collectively as a species, no matter what the creed.
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) Old English (en_old) A1
“Iċ eom māra þonne þes middanġeard; lǣssa þonne håndwyrm; leohtre þonne mōna; swiftre þonne sunne.”

Johanna
Forum Administrator

Postby Johanna » 2017-07-14, 22:00

What really scares me as an outsider is how many people with actual power who would like nothing more than turning the entire country into a Christian fundamentalist theocracy, and not even necessarily because they actually believe it's the right thing to do, but because it better serves their other political and personal goals.

It's not just some people on the fringe any more, they are in the actual government. And it affects me in one way or another, because the rest of the Western world is a lot about keeping the US happy, at least on the state level.It also doesn't matter what party is in charge, on either side.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2017-07-15, 1:54

Someone can be both racist and sexist? It's almost like the same kind of thinking underlies all prejudice.
Meera wrote:Yeah exactly, during the election some middle aged guy told me Hillary wants police officers to die and that she supports white genocide. Yeah okay she supports the genocide of her own race :roll: I really don't understand how people get these crazy ideas.
White supremacists believe any white person who disagrees with their racist agenda is a self-hating white. They're called "race traitors". It's hilariously similar to the pureblood supremacists in Harry Potter calling other wizards "Muggle-lovers" and "blood traitors".

Johanna
Forum Administrator

Postby Johanna » 2017-07-15, 2:05

Two words: Nordiska motståndsrörelsen.

Apparently, them being able to beat people up is just freedom of speech. People protesting them, now that is hate propaganda (the Police says so).

We are talking about a group that doesn't even try to hide that they are Nazi in the true sense, and revolutionary to boot.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Meera
Global Moderator

Postby Meera » 2017-07-15, 2:56

mōdgethanc wrote:Someone can be both racist and sexist? It's almost like the same kind of thinking underlies all prejudice.
Meera wrote:Yeah exactly, during the election some middle aged guy told me Hillary wants police officers to die and that she supports white genocide. Yeah okay she supports the genocide of her own race :roll: I really don't understand how people get these crazy ideas.
White supremacists believe any white person who disagrees with their racist agenda is a self-hating white. They're called "race traitors". It's hilariously similar to the pureblood supremacists in Harry Potter calling other wizards "Muggle-lovers" and "blood traitors".

Hahah well J.K Rowling is a smart lady :P
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-15, 5:25

Lately, my parents and their friends have been talking about the following events in Kerala:

• Dileep, possibly the biggest Malayalam movie star of the 21st century, has recently been arrested for conspiring, apparently for three years, to have a gang abduct an actress, take compromising pictures of her, and rape her. The actress has threatened to sue Dileep, after which the Kerala Women's Commission filed a case against him and three others.

• A woman in Kerala reported to the police and magistrate that she almost cut off a swami's penis after he raped her for several years. Since then, the woman has given several conflicting stories about what happened, including a story that he had not raped her at all but rather that the police and magistrate blackmailed him and a third person trying to convince her that the swami was a criminal had instructed the woman to cut off his penis, which she then found herself unable to do (but with no clear explanation regarding the subsequent damage to his penis). The swami has also claimed that he cut off his own penis. Indian news has been using the term "bobbitise" a lot (instead of bobbitt, for cutting off his penis). My parents call him the "Inorganic Swami" (because he (almost?) lost his organ). Some people apparently think the woman is telling different stories under pressure from her family.

From a quick scan of Google News in Malayalam, I learned of a third item of news:

• A twenty-year-old man has just been arrested for allegedly pouring gasoline on the house of a seventeen-year-old girl he was in love :?: with and killing her by setting it on fire because she refused to go out with him.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-07-20, 1:38

Trump halts covert arming of Syria rebels, a move likely to please Russia

Good move by Trump. Obama's policy was to give just enough support to the rebels to keep them in the game. The result? Indefinite civil war, which was about the worst possible outcome for the Syrian people.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-07-24, 2:32

Yeah as much as I hate Trump I was always kind of hoping he'd at least change US policy on Syria and Yemen.

Although I'm not sure how much the Russian government is actually willing to compromise in Syria, regardless of how many concessions the US makes...

Return to “Politics and Religion”