Turkey in the EU

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Should Turkey be admitted into the EU?

Turkey is suitable to be admitted now
15%
Turkey is not suitable at the present, but will be in the future
49%
Turkey should not be admitted now or in the future (explain your reasons)
36%

Total votes: 121

Chekhov

Re: Turkey in the EU

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-18, 18:50

Am I supposed to feel touched by that or something?
No. You're supposed to think I'm not a colossal asshole like you normally seem to.
But thanks, it's just that I have no plight to speak of. I'm from the middle class, my ass is covered by my parents, and despite the fact that you don't make much money, or might get anywhere from 3 to 17 years for speaking up, or live in a bigoted, sexist, homophobic society, or can't travel anywhere outside of SE Asia (and Cuba) without a visa, things are pretty swell here for a middle class city guy.
If you say so. You seem to complain a lot about it if that's the case.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2011-12-18, 20:52

Tenebrarum wrote:What, chicken nuggets, fries and coke cost you one hour? :shock:

Well, a bit less, if we're talking about nuggets. I earn per hour about 8,50 € and a KFC menu with nuggets is around 6,10 € I think. The box menu is around 8 €, that's why I thought of an hour.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2011-12-18, 21:55

Tenebrarum wrote:A wearable t-shirt will most likely cost you one hour of your wage though. A KFC meal, half an hour.

For comparison purposes...

If you mean the most basis t-shirt, I could get one for $7.50 at H&M, which would require me to work for 45 minutes at the minimum wage ($9.65/hour). Now a decent t-shirt with some graphics is about $14.75, so an hour and half of work.

A normal KFC meal will most definitely requires an hour of work or a bit more. International chain fast food restaurants aren't the cheapest option compared to the local casse-coûte ones where I could get some steamé all-dressed (all-dressed steamed hotdogs) for at least $1.00. Or even better, some poutine for $5.00. :P

Oh, an extra: a medium bowl of pho requires from 45 minutes to an hour of work. How about Saigon?
Neferuj paħujkij!

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-18, 22:33

Fast food is not as cheap as people seem to think it is. A full meal of nuggets, fries and a drink could easily cost $10, which is almost an hour's work for me (I make $12/h).
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2011-12-18, 22:44

Yep, for $10, you could get a box of 50ish nuggets at the store. That's 2-3 meals there and all you gotta do is put them in the oven.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-12-19, 5:21

abcdefg wrote:
Tenebrarum wrote:A wearable t-shirt will most likely cost you one hour of your wage though.

What, only one hour?? :-O :shocked:
Your salary, uhm, must be over ten?!

Well it would cost me two hours of work, but I'm talking about someone who makes 6 chai a month here. :P

And I meant the kind of tshirt on sale in Coopmart. Yes, muck up them piles and find a non-shitty tee with no Engrish on it <-- true hard work.

JackFrost wrote:Oh, an extra: a medium bowl of pho requires from 45 minutes to an hour of work. How about Saigon?
Around 20,000 - 25,000 if you eat like a common man. I make close to 70,000 an hour, so... 20 minutes? But our bowl of phở is small, like the small one in US/Canada/Oz, and probably much less nutritious.

Chekhov wrote:You're supposed to think I'm not a colossal asshole like you normally seem to. [...] You seem to complain a lot about it if that's the case.
Isn't to live is to complain? If you don't, you'll turn into a rightwinger like Yasha, which is bad for your health. And you got the wrong impression there; I only think of you as a smug knowitall who believes in moral infallibility of the West, and trolls people but doesn't like to admit that he does; therefore, ignorage, sorry. That's how I truly think of you, sweetheart.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2011-12-19, 5:51

But our bowl of phở is small, like the small one in US/Canada/Oz, and probably much less nutritious.

Oh, a small would be about $5.50-6.50 then, so around 2/3 of an hour of work.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-19, 6:41

I hate when pho is full of lemongrass. Don't you hate that smell?
Isn't to live is to complain? If you don't, you'll turn into a rightwinger like Yasha, which is bad for your health.
He complains all the time. For example, about immigrants.
And you got the wrong impression there; I only think of you as a smug knowitall who believes in moral infallibility of the West
Moral superiority, not infallibility.

And you believe in the same thing or else you wouldn't believe in democracy.
and trolls people but doesn't like to admit that he does
Nah I've admitted it plenty of times.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-12-19, 8:20

Lemongrass in phở? I didn't know that was possible.

Chekhov wrote:
And you got the wrong impression there; I only think of you as a smug knowitall who believes in moral infallibility of the West

Moral superiority, not infallibility.

And you believe in the same thing or else you wouldn't believe in democracy.

What is that, Insane Troll Logic? :? Are you gonna go ahead and say Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and India are all Western?

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2011-12-19, 8:31

Tenebrarum wrote:Lemongrass in phở? I didn't know that was possible.

I think he's talking about bún bò Huế.

Lemongrass doesn't bother me really.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-19, 8:37

Lemongrass in phở? I didn't know that was possible.
I didn't know it was possible for a Vietnamese dish not to contain it. At least, not here.
I think he's talking about bún bò Huế.
Yeah that has it too.
Are you gonna go ahead and say Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and India are all Western?
Westernized, yeah. I'm not going to pretend liberal democracy isn't a Western invention, because ... that's not true.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2011-12-19, 8:42

It is indeed somewhat odd that pho could have lemongrass (flavour) in it. Could you say the names in Vietnamese? I never really pay attention to the French/English translations on the menus and labels since they're not consistent.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-12-19, 8:42

Lemongrass = sả.

Chekhov wrote:I didn't know it was possible for a Vietnamese dish not to contain it. At least, not here.
The percentage of dishes that contain lemongrass is very small, and those are mostly grilled or seafood-y - snails in particular. Never with canh (what you translate as soup). BBH broth can be cooked with sả, but phở... I've never heard of that.

This is because it's hard to combine the smell of sả with something else.

Westernized, yeah. I'm not going to pretend liberal democracy isn't a Western invention, because ... that's not true.
And... that's irrelevant. China is Westernized as well.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-19, 18:15

JackFrost wrote:It is indeed somewhat odd that pho could have lemongrass (flavour) in it. Could you say the names in Vietnamese? I never really pay attention to the French/English translations on the menus and labels since they're not consistent.
Unfortunately no. I don't really pay attention to the Vietnamese names because I don't know the language. But I think you're right and I'm just mistaking a similar dish for pho. That or the smell of lemongrass is so overpowering that I assume it must be in everything I eat. Goddammit I hate that smell.
And... that's irrelevant.
You're right, it is irrelevant. Good ideas are good ideas regardless of where they come from. So are bad ideas. Democracy and communism are both European, and one is good and the other is bad.
China is Westernized as well.
Only superficially. Its political system is straight-up Soviet.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-12-19, 18:24

Are you okay? You're making me worried.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-19, 21:24

Why? You already know I hate lemongrass and communism.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-02, 23:16

I voted the last option, but mainly because Turkey just doesn't seem very European to me. Of course, if there's a big enough movement, I won't do anything to stop it, but it seems like asking if Baja California should become part of the U.S.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-02-02, 23:21

Take a look at the southern EU state. Anyone that looks particularly European?
I am in favour. Despite all the drawbacks of the EU financially, and how European integration lost it's appeal, EU still works as a basic safety net for human rights to southern states, and Turkish people as well as minorities living in Turkey will benefit from that as well. Sadly, I don't think that Turkey is still deeply invested in the idea.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-03, 3:05

meidei wrote:Take a look at the southern EU state. Anyone that looks particularly European?

Uh... what?

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2013-02-03, 3:09

I think he means that a lot of southern Europe looks way more Turkish than Finnish.

Not to mention that few would deny for example Albania the right to join, provided they sort out their problems first, so religion is clearly not an issue.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Return to “Politics and Religion”