Turkey in the EU

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

Should Turkey be admitted into the EU?

Turkey is suitable to be admitted now
14%
Turkey is not suitable at the present, but will be in the future
48%
Turkey should not be admitted now or in the future (explain your reasons)
38%

Total votes: 126

Saim
Re: Turkey in the EU

Postby Saim » 2019-10-25, 5:46

vijayjohn wrote:Is it ever?? I mean, provided you didn't already vote, of course. :D I still haven't.

I did vote. For 2. :cry:

I read over what you said (six years ago!) about your opinion, and...I mean, I get that Europe isn't doing so well, but is the Near East or whatever doing any better? :hmm: And does Turkey have a bad reputation there now?

Yes my old view was ignorant and idealistic.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-25, 11:16

Saim wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Is it ever?? I mean, provided you didn't already vote, of course. :D I still haven't.

I did vote. For 2. :cry:

Eh, I'm sure there's a loophole. :lol: You could argue that Turkey could be suitable for the European Union someday but not now without actually supporting the European Union in the first place! Or you could just say "I changed my mind but the poll doesn't let me take my vote away." :P Or you could just add "...in theory! :yep:"
I read over what you said (six years ago!) about your opinion, and...I mean, I get that Europe isn't doing so well, but is the Near East or whatever doing any better? :hmm: And does Turkey have a bad reputation there now?

Yes my old view was ignorant and idealistic.

Oh, so what's your new view?

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-12-13, 13:05

vijayjohn wrote:Oh, so what's your new view?

I support freedom of movement pretty much unconditionally. My view on confederations of states is the same as my view on states in general.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-12-14, 3:32

Which is that the question is moot because borders, wars, and nation-states should be abolished completely?

I think I look at this question assuming the status quo. In a world with borders, wars, and nation-states, should one nation-state currently outside the borders of a confederation be accepted into the confederation? I think it should on condition that it follows the requirements for other countries joining the confederation, which currently it doesn't.

Return to “Politics and Religion”