Switzerland bans construction of minarets

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Babelfish

Re: Switzerland bans construction of minarets

Postby Babelfish » 2012-09-22, 16:04

モモンガ wrote:Isn't Minaret a tower attached to a Mosque? :shock:
It's like Saudi Arabia banning on building Church towers.

Wikipedia wrote:There are no churches or other non-Muslim houses of worship permitted in the country.[210] Even private prayer services are forbidden in practice and the Saudi religious police reportedly regularly search the homes of Christians.
Which is pretty much what I remembered.
It doesn't mean of course other countries should behave towards Islam like Saudi Arabia does towards other religions, but be careful about examples...
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-09-22, 23:35

Anyway I support the freedom of religion.

Even in Poland we have some Mosques for Tatar minority group.

Don't have Suiss people more important things to do?

I kind of started wondering about this too. As far as I know minaret has about the same function as church tower too so doesn't seem esential (I mean the small muslim comunity of Latvia as I've heard has set up mosque in apartment building), so what's the point?

And about imigration mentioned in few posts before too - for me it totaly would make a sense, it's not like EU countries never limited immigration from new member countries, except hardly anybody goes there :lol:

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2012-09-23, 16:39

Switzerland is not a EU country. :wink:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-09-23, 20:53

I was contrasting Swistzerland with EU, I am very much aware that they almost never take part in anything :P I have no intention to argue about that part, just my opinion, especialy considering how pissed EU was about it. I am merely noting that some actions of Swiss seem weird and wondering why the hell they need it. I mean - no appearent benefit for them, plus the international scandals

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-09-25, 7:29

Babelfish wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:There are no churches or other non-Muslim houses of worship permitted in the country.[210] Even private prayer services are forbidden in practice and the Saudi religious police reportedly regularly search the homes of Christians.
Which is pretty much what I remembered.
It doesn't mean of course other countries should behave towards Islam like Saudi Arabia does towards other religions, but be careful about examples...

I think that's pretty much what he was saying, that Switzerland was being like Saudi Arabia in this regard.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2012-09-28, 15:37

Saim wrote:...
I think that's pretty much what he was saying, that Switzerland was being like Saudi Arabia in this regard.
Right, that could be what he meant...

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2012-11-08, 14:17

I am happy that at least one user understood what I intended to say.

Well, I should have said 'Turkey' instead of 'Saudi Arabia' to get my point across.
Saudi Arabia is very 'conservative' when it comes to religion.
I think it can be the only country where women are not allowed to vote yet (they plan to grant them this right in few years).
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-11-08, 16:41

モモンガ wrote:I think it can be the only country where women are not allowed to vote yet (they plan to grant them this right in few years).

Depends what you consider Vatican City to be (speaking of benighted theocracies).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2012-11-09, 15:06

well yes, Wikipedia lists 5 countries without the women suffrage, but in Brunei 'women and men have no right to vote'.

Or in Syria women can vote only if they are educated.

Vatican is a very specific kind of country, and its more a fault of the Catholic priesthood system than the state policy itself, I guess.

It's sad that Muslim countries which used to celebrate modernity and science in Medieval times now lag behind the rest of the world (not all Muslim countries, I am only talking about some of them).

Osman Empire accepted Jewish refugees when they were persecuted in Christian Spain.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2012-11-20, 22:40

Babelfish wrote:
Saim wrote:...
Right, that could be what he meant...

I think it's best to assume that is what he meant. :|

The vatican is less of a country than sealand yet it has all sorts of insane priviliges.
not to mention it's a supremely theocratic dictatorship.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-11-21, 5:01

I mean, are there really any people living in the Vatican City who aren't affiliated with the church? I got the impression that there aren't really citizens there being actively oppressed by a theocratic dictatorship; it's just a state made up a bunch of religious officials.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-11-21, 13:43

So it's not oppression if you can walk away from it?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2012-11-21, 18:42

I was only describing my view on what would best determine what the political structure of the vatican is like, so technically not what the popes behaviour is towards the members bellow him.
A state being made up entirely of officials reeks of a bad idea regardless of how it's run anyway.

linguoboy wrote:So it's not oppression if you can walk away from it?

Seams to be what IluvErie seams to be arguing however :para: .

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-11-22, 9:15

Maybe I don't understand the Vatican. It wasn't a rhetorical question, I was just offering my understanding of the situation. Are there people actually being oppressed there? Because that's not what I had understand (but this is apparently wrong).

I'm not trying to imply anything, just offer the understanding that I have so that you guys (who know what you're talking about) can explain to me what's wrong with my understanding, which is extremely limited and obviously flawed.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2012-11-26, 22:56

Well, no but the description of calling it a theocratic dictatorship actually has nothing to do with people actually being oppressed in my oppinion, so assuming that the ultimate results of the system are not deterimed by how the system works but by who makes the decisions. However it might depend on how one interprets dictator.
More oppinion I admit I don't really know the exact innerworking I'm not sure if I want to know.
their is no step inbetween and the power of the pope is really quite absolute.

johnklepac

Postby johnklepac » 2013-02-02, 23:12

ILuvEire wrote:Maybe I don't understand the Vatican. It wasn't a rhetorical question, I was just offering my understanding of the situation. Are there people actually being oppressed there? Because that's not what I had understand (but this is apparently wrong).

I'm not trying to imply anything, just offer the understanding that I have so that you guys (who know what you're talking about) can explain to me what's wrong with my understanding, which is extremely limited and obviously flawed.

Doesn't the Vatican only have, like, 800 people? That seems like an appropriate population for a church of that magnitude. I'm no more educated than you on the subject, but I'm also under the impression that there aren't any permanent residents unaffiliated with the Church.

Personally, I'm against this ban. I think Switzerland's kinda cool from a linguistic point of view... that's about it. Otherwise it just seems like the U.S. of Europe, and not in a good way.

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2013-03-21, 20:53

to all the people who say muslim countries don't tolerate christianity and judaism

last time i checked, the majority of the non-muslim population of morocco were christians
and silly me, i always thought this building in the heart of tetouan was a church.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... etouan.jpg
native: (ar-MA) (nl)
very comfortable: (en-US)
somewhat comfortable: (de) (es) (af)
forgetting: (fr) (ar-arb)
touristy level: (ro) (sv)(ber)(pl)
someday hopefully: (ja) (sq) (cs) (tr) and many others

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-03-21, 21:01

languagepotato wrote:to all the people who say muslim countries don't tolerate christianity and judaism

last time i checked, the majority of the non-muslim population of morocco were christians
and silly me, i always thought this building in the heart of tetouan was a church.

You're taking the piss, right? That church was built in 1919. Who do you think was in charge of governing Tetouan at that time?

languagepotato

Postby languagepotato » 2013-03-21, 21:51

linguoboy wrote:
languagepotato wrote:to all the people who say muslim countries don't tolerate christianity and judaism

You're taking the piss, right? That church was built in 1919. Who do you think was in charge of governing Tetouan at that time?

well, i used that church as an example, considering the fact that i see it often because i have family in tetouan. but there are a lot of other churches built earlier and later in and outside tetouan.
native: (ar-MA) (nl)
very comfortable: (en-US)
somewhat comfortable: (de) (es) (af)
forgetting: (fr) (ar-arb)
touristy level: (ro) (sv)(ber)(pl)
someday hopefully: (ja) (sq) (cs) (tr) and many others

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-03-21, 22:09

languagepotato wrote:well, i used that church as an example, considering the fact that i see it often because i have family in tetouan. but there are a lot of other churches built earlier and later in and outside tetouan.

What are some examples from the last fifty years?

Return to “Politics and Religion”