Question on Political Correctness (N*gger & Blackman, et

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Lur

Re: Question on Political Correctness (N*gger & Blackman, et

Postby Lur » 2013-05-13, 21:35

I like yelling to the Spanish account of the Golden Dawn to go back to Greece with the rest of their dirty race.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-05-13, 21:42

They actually allow themselves to speak foreign languages? :shock:
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-05-13, 21:43

Luke wrote:A girl from my high school class I knew once started being racist against Moroccans. Fun part: she had been adopted by a Spanish couple. She'd been born in Casablanca. To this day, I still can't quite work out what was going to through her head when she started with that thing.I do know she's right wing and very Christian. And patriotic in the fake way like it's typical from right wing Spain.

It makes perfect sense to me, sadly. It's essentially the same as closeted homosexuals bullying out queers to prove their straightness to their bigoted peers.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lur

Postby Lur » 2013-05-14, 1:19

It did remind me of a Marvel's Loki situation but in a mundane way.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-05-15, 13:18

Also, what attitude does the majority of Romanians have regarding the Roma people? The few German speakers left? The Hungarian speakers?

Racism isn't only about skin colour, I'd say that it's even more about culture, language and arbitrarily defined groups.

Roma people:
Well, in that case YES, we are extremely racist. :(

When some Gypsies were leaving to France many people were happy
hoping that they will never come back.

If your skin is black then you are viewed as something exotic
but if you're a bit brown and dirty then many people will assume that you're Gypsy
and then they are likelly to keep a great distance from you.

Some years ago a mayor in some town tried to build a wall separating
the whites (Hungarians, Romanians) from the Gypsy neighbourhood.

Or recently during the last census a Hungarian mayor
was threatening the Gypsies from some small village that they won't get any money
if they won't declare themselves Hungarians.

Hungarians:
I say that the relationship is good.
There are a few people who are a bit racist but not seriously.

Many people like to say that the only common thing in Romanians and Hungarians
is that we both hate Gypsies.

I say that the Szekely Hungarians are a bit more racist than the Romanians
because there are a few who hope to get some kind of authonomy.

But it's more of a political issue, the usual Romanian or Hungarian doesn't give a fuck
and manages to live happily with the other one.

Germans:
Everyone has a good opinion about them.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-05-17, 1:47

That's President Obama as per Cypriot State TV comedy programme
vlcsnap-00009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-05-17, 12:48

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

md0

Postby md0 » 2013-05-17, 13:43

Well, for (barely visible) Cyprus, keep in mind that the vast majority of foreign residents are either Greeks, British or Russian. The Asian (South East Asia and Middle East) immigrants and the poorer Slavs are stashed away in small rooms within their workplaces. So when you ask a Cypriot if they mind a neighbour from a different race, British is the most different race they can imagine.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-05-17, 14:20

meidei wrote:Well, for (barely visible) Cyprus, keep in mind that the vast majority of foreign residents are either Greeks, British or Russian. The Asian (South East Asia and Middle East) immigrants and the poorer Slavs are stashed away in small rooms within their workplaces. So when you ask a Cypriot if they mind a neighbour from a different race, British is the most different race they can imagine.

And even so, more than 15% replied, "No thanks!"

He does a good job of addressing methodological limitations in his commentary, but one question he doesn't take up is the tricky one of determining "race". I guess that's simply up to every respondent to define as they will, but obviously the word choice in each local version of the survey would be of paramount importance in that case. (I wonder, for instance, if one of the reasons the figure for India is so high is that religious and caste background figure into their definition of "race" in this instance.)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2013-06-02, 10:04

I know that in Hindi-Urdu and Punjabi one of the most common translations of race, namely nasal, is used for both ethnolinguistic and caste backgrounds.

That said, I think a good deal of the Pakistani responders are lying. I can't imagine a good deal of Mohajir Muslims belonging to one of the tribes that claims Arab background wanting to live next to a Punjabi Christian belonging to a historically Dalit or Shudra caste.

Maybe they only thought of ethnolinguistic differences, since caste differences aren't really supposed to exist in Islam, even though in practice they're omnipresent. Or maybe they've just internalized the eternally repeated maxim Forget ethnic differences, we're all Muslims first and then Pakistanis. In that case, they would respond ideologically even though in reality they would act very differently.

In that sense, this may just indicate that Pakistanis are more nationalistic and extremely religious than Indians, rather than actually more tolerant in any real sense.

Return to “Politics and Religion”