Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Random Politics 2

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-21, 17:59

I don't agree with either of you.
DissidentRage wrote:I'm sure it's just a coincidence they're concerned about the safety of Jewish people around the time apartheid Israel is attacking Palestinians.

Israel is not an apartheid state.
Yeah, who exactly is perpetrating anti-semitic violence? Oh, it's right-wingers? Imagine my shark.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: It's both left- and right-wingers.
Oh look, a naked appeal to rugged individualism. No, don't think of your external conditions!

I don't understand what this is intended to mean.
Yasna wrote:Every news source to the right of center is totally Nazi media.

In the US? Yeah, pretty much.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-06-22, 15:06

vijayjohn wrote:

I strongly encourage you to read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-06-28, 21:24

Where’s the Equity for Black Murder Victims?

And we are talking about a disparity that couldn’t be any more stark — black men are killed, usually gunned down, in cold blood at vastly higher rates than any other group in society (albeit overwhelmingly at the hands of other black men). If you are a progressive who believes that any racial disparity is a function of institutional racism, this is a devastating commentary on racial discrimination in America, but it is met with a relative shrug and certainly none of the passion of, say, the resistance to the Georgia voting law.

Of course, it’s worse than that. Progressives have made this disparity worse. It is their narratives, their policies, and their elected officials who have enabled the current surge in murder, making a long-standing phenomenon even more pronounced.

Do they feel guilty about it, abashed in any way? There’s no sign of it, and indeed while gun homicides have increased since 2014, they’ve kept hammering on the police.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-06-28, 23:14

Chicago's Dismal Murder Solve Rate Even Worse When Victims Are Black

It's on detectives to earn that trust, according to Teny Gross, executive director of the Institute for Nonviolence Chicago, a group in Austin that works with gang members and relatives of murder victims. "Those in power need to go the extra mile to serve the communities." It starts with the mothers of gun violence victims. "Many complain they don't get regular calls back [from detectives] and relationship-building with the family. To earn trust is a very difficult thing and every field has to do it — medicine, street outreach, social workers, teachers and police," Gross said. "We can't whine about it. We're paid by the taxpayers."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-06-30, 15:34

I wonder what effect lying to the black community that racist cops are going around murdering black people has on the black community's cooperation with the police and thus on the solve rate.
I wonder what effect demonizing police officers as white supremacist pigs has on their job performance and the solve rate.

It's almost as if holding onto the ideology of "police = bad" takes priority over actually saving black lives.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-07-03, 19:51

Yasna wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

I strongly encourage you to read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.

I strongly encourage you to stop being so goddamn racist. It isn't even doing you any favors. At this point, outside the forum, several forum members have independently expressed sheer disgust with your comments on POCs* without me even breathing a word about it to any of them, usually before anyone responds to the latest thing you said.

*EDIT: not to mention the fact that you are ignoring all the comments by the only POC arguing with you on the racism thread
lying to the black community that racist cops are going around murdering black people

It's not a lie. This is actually happening.
demonizing police officers as white supremacist pigs

Many of them are members of white supremacist organizations.
It's almost as if holding onto the ideology of "police = bad" takes priority over actually saving black lives.

It's more like attacking people for calling out racism takes priority over saving any lives, very likely including the lives of those doing the attacking.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-07-06, 15:26

Yasna wrote:

I wonder what effect lying to the black community that racist cops are going around murdering black people has on the black community's cooperation with the police and thus on the solve rate.

Who's "lying" about this? The CPD do go around murdering Black people. This is not disputed by reasonable people[*].

Yasna wrote:I wonder what effect demonizing police officers as white supremacist pigs has on their job performance and the solve rate.

Or, alternatively, that the police actually are bad.

How bad? I suggest you read this: http://chicagopoliceconsentdecree.org/. What is it? It's a consent decree signed between the US Federal Government and the City of Chicago because--to quote the document--"The...CPD has a history of serious problems endangering the lives of both residents and police officers." (My emphasis.) If you don't have time to read the entire document, at least read the "About" section, which gives a capsule history of the issues which led to its creation.

Only someone far removed from the daily realities of policing in Chicago would think hatred of the police here was something ginned up by agitators as opposed to a reasonable response to a long history of brutality and misconduct.

[*] I'm reminded of that quote of C.K. Chesterston's: “If it be true (as it certainly is) that a man can feel exquisite happiness in skinning a cat, then the religious philosopher can only draw one of two deductions. He must either deny the existence of God, as all atheists do; or he must deny the present union between God and man, as all Christians do. The new theologians seem to think it a highly rationalistic solution to deny the cat.” I'll leave it to you to figure out who in this case is analogous to the atheist, the religious philosopher, and new theologians, respectively.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-07-27, 0:39

vijayjohn wrote:I strongly encourage you to stop being so goddamn racist. It isn't even doing you any favors. At this point, outside the forum, several forum members have independently expressed sheer disgust with your comments on POCs* without me even breathing a word about it to any of them, usually before anyone responds to the latest thing you said.

*EDIT: not to mention the fact that you are ignoring all the comments by the only POC arguing with you on the racism thread

I don't give a shit if you and your anonymous (imaginary?) friends think I'm "so goddamn racist". You've demonstrated time and time again your paranoid mindset of seeing racism everywhere you look.

The reason I stopped engaging you on political topics years ago has nothing to do with your race. When I discuss politics with linguoboy or Saim, I sometimes learn something new, and occasionally I change my mind about something. My political discussions with you on the other hand were utterly unproductive, due to your uncanny propensity to miss the point at every turn, your complete inability to marshal a coherent argument, and the soaring degree of bad faith you bring to every discussion.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-07-29, 15:14

linguoboy wrote:Who's "lying" about this? The CPD do go around murdering Black people. This is not disputed by reasonable people[*].

Either you're misusing the word "murder" for dramatic effect, or you don't understand the nature of most police encounters that end in a death. Spend a little time on this channel if you want to better understand police encounters. It has videos of police doing good deeds, videos of police misconduct, and everything in between.

Bad compared to what? What police force of a city of millions awash in guns and violent young men does a significantly better job? Mexico City's? Rio de Janeiro's?

How bad? I suggest you read this: http://chicagopoliceconsentdecree.org/. What is it? It's a consent decree signed between the US Federal Government and the City of Chicago because--to quote the document--"The...CPD has a history of serious problems endangering the lives of both residents and police officers." (My emphasis.) If you don't have time to read the entire document, at least read the "About" section, which gives a capsule history of the issues which led to its creation.

The stuff highlighted in that document could be said of any police force of a city of millions awash in guns and violent young men. To be clear, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, only that the expectations for those improvements seem to be wildly unrealistic given the facts of the policing environment. I hope the decree has a positive effect, but I'm not optimistic.

Only someone far removed from the daily realities of policing in Chicago would think hatred of the police here was something ginned up by agitators as opposed to a reasonable response to a long history of brutality and misconduct.

I can fully understand a certain degree of mistrust towards police in Chicago. But the hatred absolutely has been ginned up by agitators from bottom to top.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-08-03, 22:30

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2021-08-06, 5:34

vijayjohn wrote:Israel is not an apartheid state.
It's very unwise to break my self-imposed rule about talking about Israel online, but this surprised me a bit. I'm not a hardcore anti-Zionist or anything but I've become more convinced over the years that the apartheid analogy is fairly appropriate for Israel, at least in its occupied territories. Or at least, it's better than some things I've heard Israel called. Maybe I'll have to rethink it.
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: It's both left- and right-wingers.
Yes. This is a fact. Antisemitism is overall worse on the right but it definitely exists on the left. Always has.
I think he was accusing you of the (typically right-leaning) belief that the individual is the main or only thing that matters in determining our behaviour, and societal factors are downplayed. That is very bizarre since I know you do not think this way at all.
But this is going too far I think. I can agree the American centre-right is bad and has a strong tendency to be racist, but they are not Nazis. The far-right in America though, yeah, pretty strongly influenced by neo-Nazism.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-08-07, 19:07

Yasna wrote:I don't give a shit if you and your anonymous (imaginary?) friends think I'm "so goddamn racist".

They are not necessarily my friends, but they are all UniLangers, and considering that the platform you're using is, well, UniLang, you should give a shit.
You've demonstrated time and time again your paranoid mindset of seeing racism everywhere you look.

Bullshit. I see racism in, and only in, your statements.
The reason I stopped engaging you on political topics years ago has nothing to do with your race.

Bullshit again. It has everything to do with my race. Anyone who has been paying attention can clearly see this.
When I discuss politics with linguoboy or Saim,

Linguoboy does not engage with you that often, and Saim talks to you even less often. Linguoboy lives in the US but is not a POC, and Saim is a POC but does not live in the US. I both live in the US and am a POC. I have much more at stake here than either of them. That is why I am so determined to counter you at every turn.

POCs in the US are dying on the street at disproportionate rates compared to white people. People in this country occasionally kill us Indians in hate crimes, and you know it. It is precisely this rhetoric about how people are bashing the police too much, POCs are racist against white people, the real problem is the liberals, etc. that is enabling hate crimes against us POCs. Engaging in this kind of rhetoric is completely irresponsible, and I will not rest until you stop it.

EDIT:
Yasna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Who's "lying" about this? The CPD do go around murdering Black people. This is not disputed by reasonable people[*].

Either you're misusing the word "murder" for dramatic effect, or you don't understand the nature of most police encounters that end in a death. Spend a little time on this channel if you want to better understand police encounters. It has videos of police doing good deeds, videos of police misconduct, and everything in between.

1. Non sequitur
2. ...They are actually murdering Black people.
3. "Most" is a really broad term to use here and I think at least requires reliable stats to back it up.

Bad compared to what? What police force of a city of millions awash in guns and violent young men does a significantly better job? Mexico City's? Rio de Janeiro's?

Wow, so when you criticize me for missing the point, it's really just projection.

Killing innocent people is bad enough. Targeting them because of their race is even worse. The police do both.
The stuff highlighted in that document could be said of any police force of a city of millions awash in guns and violent young men.

Then prove it.
To be clear, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, only that the expectations for those improvements seem to be wildly unrealistic given the facts of the policing environment. I hope the decree has a positive effect, but I'm not optimistic.

I think linguoboy has a better idea of what crime in Chicago looks like than you do.
I can fully understand a certain degree of mistrust towards police in Chicago. But the hatred absolutely has been ginned up by agitators from bottom to top.

I don't think you're in a position to lecture anyone on hatred.
mōdgethanc wrote:It's very unwise to break my self-imposed rule about talking about Israel online, but this surprised me a bit. I'm not a hardcore anti-Zionist or anything but I've become more convinced over the years that the apartheid analogy is fairly appropriate for Israel, at least in its occupied territories. Or at least, it's better than some things I've heard Israel called. Maybe I'll have to rethink it.

Talking about Israel can be dangerous, but it is a conflict that gets brought up a lot, so I think understanding things about that conflict is good. While Palestinians are definitely denied many of the opportunities available to Israelis and the administration has been very oppressive, this is not quite the same thing as apartheid. In South Africa, apartheid was about race. Apartheid was not just about concentrating Black people in the homelands/Bantustans but also about forcing them to e.g. use separate facilities throughout the country. As far as I understand, this is not what is happening in Israel.
But this is going too far I think. I can agree the American centre-right is bad and has a strong tendency to be racist, but they are not Nazis. The far-right in America though, yeah, pretty strongly influenced by neo-Nazism.

The center right in the US in recent years threw its support behind Chump, so I don't see the usefulness of this distinction.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-08-07, 21:29

Yasna wrote:Either you're misusing the word "murder" for dramatic effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Laquan_McDonald

How can I be "misusing" the term when I'm literally quoting the court verdict?

Yasna wrote:or you don't understand the nature of most police encounters that end in a death. Spend a little time on this channel if you want to better understand police encounters.

I give you a Federal report on police misconduct in Chicago (up to and including murder) and you respond with a YouTube channel of police saving puppies? Vijay was right to call this a complete non sequitur.

Yasna wrote:

This is simply whattaboutism. "Mexico City police are worse, therefore you can't criticise Chicago's police." I can and I will--and, once again, I'm in very good company.

Yasna wrote:The stuff highlighted in that document could be said of any police force of a city of millions awash in guns and violent young men.

So. Close. To. Getting. It.

Yasna wrote:To be clear, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement...

...just strongly suggesting that.

Yasna wrote:I hope the decree has a positive effect, but I'm not optimistic.

They really give the game away in the second paragraph when they talk of "phantom police bias". Again, its existence is simply not disputed by reasonable people. See, for instance: https://techcrunch.com/2021/02/11/newly-released-data-show-major-racial-disparity-in-chicago-cops-use-of-force/.
Some of the specific findings can be summarized as follows:
  • Minority officers (Black and Hispanic, self-identified) “receive vastly different patrol assignments,” something that had to be controlled for in order to provide effective comparisons for the other findings.
  • Black officers use force 35% less than white officers on average, with most of the difference coming from force used against Black civilians.
  • Black officers perform far fewer “discretionary stops” for “suspicious behavior.”
  • Hispanic officers showed similar, but smaller reductions.
  • Female officers use force considerably less often than male ones, again especially when it comes to Black civilians.
  • Much of the disparity in stops, arrests and use of force results from differences in pursuing low-level offenses, especially in Black-majority neighborhoods.

Yasna wrote:

Seriously? "It's all Obama's fault" is your argument? (Or--too be completely fair, I guess--your argument is that if Obama had issued stronger condemnations of a handful of crimes where racial animosity toward white men was considered a probable motive, unarmed Black men in Chicago would be less afraid that local officers would shoot them sixteen times in the back and then lie about it on the record? Is that actually what you're trying to say by linking to that editorial in this context?)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2021-08-08, 12:02

vijayjohn wrote:Talking about Israel can be dangerous, but it is a conflict that gets brought up a lot, so I think understanding things about that conflict is good. While Palestinians are definitely denied many of the opportunities available to Israelis and the administration has been very oppressive, this is not quite the same thing as apartheid. In South Africa, apartheid was about race. Apartheid was not just about concentrating Black people in the homelands/Bantustans but also about forcing them to e.g. use separate facilities throughout the country. As far as I understand, this is not what is happening in Israel.
Israel-Palestine is an ethnic thing rather than race per se, true. Which is not a huge distinction but yes, within Israel it's not as segregated in that way. I can see how within the territories it is more like South Africa though since they seem an awful lot like Bantustans to me. But this might not be a great analogy. Idk, I'll think about it some more.
The center right in the US in recent years threw its support behind Chump, so I don't see the usefulness of this distinction.
Sorry, this is gonna be long.

Why do I care about this distinction? Because Trump's not a Nazi. He's a racist, nationalist and chauvinist, but he's not a Nazi. I get why this might not seem like a big difference. There's overlap. However if Trump had somehow gained absolute power and become the supreme leader of the US, I don't think he would have invaded Mexico and genocided 6 million Latinos. That is the difference between him and a Nazi, more or less. I do believe he helped turn America into a much worse place and further entrenched racism and white supremacy. The key thing I'm trying to say though is that as bad as Trump was, it can get much worse than him. Notwithstanding that bizarre and pathetic coup attempt, Trump did not abolish democracy, he did not turn America into a one-party state, he did not start a world war nor did he build death camps. What he did do was radicalize the right-wing base in that direction. He was very, very dangerous. But that wasn't because he was a Nazi. It was because he was what leads to Nazism.

I'm not saying he has nothing in common with Nazis or that some of his supporters were not neo-Nazis. I just don't think that MAGA is, at the core, a neo-Nazi movement. It seems more like the Know-Nothing Party or other xenophobic movements in American history. Again this might all seem academic to you since you're American and it's all just angry white Americans being racist, and it's much more of a threat to you than it is to me. I get that. I might be being overly pedantic here as well and I am aware of that. I just am very strict about the usage of the word "Nazi" because it is overused so much that I don't want it to lose its meaning. It's like how Israel has things in common with apartheid South Africa, but I can agree with you it's a flawed analogy. Likewise Trumpism has things in common with Nazism but it's not the same thing.

To state again, why do I care so much: because I think the true danger with Trumpism is that it normalizes extreme beliefs and paves the way for something worse (i.e. real Nazism, or something very close to it). And we need to distinguish them to know what that looks like.

(Also not that I want to defend the right-wing in America 'cause as a rule they suck but some of them at least strongly opposed Trump. A few.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2021-08-08, 12:14

(Postscript for Vijay: I really, really don't want to get into a long argument over this, and you know that will happen if we don't let it, because a. this is such a contentious topic and b. you know that both you and I are wordy as fuck and both like to write super-long detailed posts that pick apart every single point of someone else's arguments. Please do me this favour: if you reply to my above post, try to be as brief as you can, and I will do the same. Also, this isn't me trying to tell you what to do or have the last word or anything like that, but you don't have to reply if you don't feel like it. Up to you! I just don't want this to get heated.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-08-08, 15:04

Don't worry, you're fine. I agree; it isn't literally Nazi media.

But to me, it is more important that the US is coming anywhere close to Nazism than it is that it hasn't quite gotten there yet. This is why I said, "yeah, pretty much"; it's not exactly Nazi media, but it is getting alarmingly close.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot this!
mōdgethanc wrote:
I think he was accusing you of the (typically right-leaning) belief that the individual is the main or only thing that matters in determining our behaviour, and societal factors are downplayed. That is very bizarre since I know you do not think this way at all.

Everything he said was addressed to Yasna. I was just saying I disagreed with some of what he said and didn't understand this particular thing he said.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-08-08, 23:02

linguoboy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Laquan_McDonald

One murder in the course of millions of police encounters does not show that "the CPD go around murdering Black people". By that ridiculous statistical standard you could say "doctors go around murdering people" and a thousand other highly misleading things.

I give you a Federal report on police misconduct in Chicago (up to and including murder) and you respond with a YouTube channel of police saving puppies?

That's a lot of dishonesty packed into one sentence. One, I posted a link to that channel not in response to that report, but to something else you wrote, as anyone can see by scrolling up a bit. Two, that's a dishonest description of the channel. Like I said above, it contains videos of good deeds, bad deeds, and everything in between.

This is simply whattaboutism. "Mexico City police are worse, therefore you can't criticise Chicago's police." I can and I will--and, once again, I'm in very good company.

I never said nor suggested that Chicago's police or any other police cannot or should not be criticized. I'm taking issue with your particular criticism, and suggesting that comparing Chicago to similar policing environments would allow for a fairer assessment of the CPD. Furthermore, the Obama Justice Department, Amnesty International, and the ACLU are not neutral arbiters of truth. A group of progressive institutions criticizing the police is about as surprising as conservative institutions criticizing Planned Parenthood.

...just strongly suggesting that.

How does taking issue with the characterization of a police department as "going around murdering black people" suggest I think there is no room for improvement? Is any position in between those two extremes too much nuance for you to handle?

They really give the game away in the second paragraph when they talk of "phantom police bias". Again, its existence is simply not disputed by reasonable people. See, for instance: https://techcrunch.com/2021/02/11/newly-released-data-show-major-racial-disparity-in-chicago-cops-use-of-force/.

The article is from 2017, and rigorous studies demonstrating police bias have been hard to come by until recently AFAIK. Anyway, her point about the trade-offs involved in efforts to eliminate police bias stands, and anyone who doesn't consider these trade-offs isn't being serious. Regardless, thank you for the link. As the writer says, it's a rare apples-to-apples comparison and certainly interesting.

Seriously? "It's all Obama's fault" is your argument? (Or--too be completely fair, I guess--your argument is that if Obama had issued stronger condemnations of a handful of crimes where racial animosity toward white men was considered a probable motive, unarmed Black men in Chicago would be less afraid that local officers would shoot them sixteen times in the back and then lie about it on the record? Is that actually what you're trying to say by linking to that editorial in this context?)

I'm saying that hastily assigning a racial motivation to police killings, as progressives such as Obama are wont to do, helps fuel an irrational hatred of the police.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-08-08, 23:20

Oh, look who's ignoring me again! Hello there!
Yasna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Laquan_McDonald

One murder in the course of millions of police encounters

The cops have committed a shit ton more than one fucking murder
That's a lot of dishonesty packed into one sentence. One, I posted a link to that channel not in response to that report, but to something else you wrote, as anyone can see by scrolling up a bit. Two, that's a dishonest description of the channel. Like I said above, it contains videos of good deeds, bad deeds, and everything in between.

:rotfl:
I'm taking issue with your particular criticism, and suggesting that comparing Chicago to similar policing environments would allow for a fairer assessment of the CPD.

Similar policing environments like what?
Furthermore, the Obama Justice Department, Amnesty International, and the ACLU are not neutral arbiters of truth.

There is no neutral arbiter of truth.
How does taking issue with the characterization of a police department as "going around murdering black people" suggest I think there is no room for improvement?

Because this is not disputed by reasonable people

The article is from 2017

...bruh.
"February 11, 2021"
Anyway, her point about the trade-offs involved in efforts to eliminate police bias stands, and anyone who doesn't consider these trade-offs isn't being serious.

lmao
I'm saying that hastily assigning a racial motivation to police killings, as progressives such as Obama are wont to do, helps fuel an irrational hatred of the police.

And hastening to defend the police at every turn helps enable their racially motivated killings.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-08-08, 23:29

mōdgethanc wrote:To state again, why do I care so much: because I think the true danger with Trumpism is that it normalizes extreme beliefs and paves the way for something worse (i.e. real Nazism, or something very close to it).

Following Trump's election, I first shuddered at the thought of Trump handling a nuclear crisis of any sort, and second at the thought of an unscrupulous but competent politician like Ted Cruz, who AFAICT has no principle he wouldn't sacrifice for political power, following Trump's playbook and taking it a step further.

vijayjohn wrote:Bullshit. I see racism in, and only in, your statements.

If this was true, and not just your own paranoid delusion, I would have been banned a long time ago.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-08-08, 23:35

Yasna wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Bullshit. I see racism in, and only in, your statements.

If this was true, and not just your own paranoid delusion, I would have been banned a long time ago.

This is also false. The mods have long allowed racism on this forum, not just from you. Currently, the forum is not active, so it's down to just you now.

Return to “Politics and Religion”