Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random Politics 2

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-21, 17:59

I don't agree with either of you.
DissidentRage wrote:I'm sure it's just a coincidence they're concerned about the safety of Jewish people around the time apartheid Israel is attacking Palestinians.

Israel is not an apartheid state.
Yeah, who exactly is perpetrating anti-semitic violence? Oh, it's right-wingers? Imagine my shark.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: It's both left- and right-wingers.
Oh look, a naked appeal to rugged individualism. No, don't think of your external conditions!

I don't understand what this is intended to mean.
Yasna wrote:Every news source to the right of center is totally Nazi media.

In the US? Yeah, pretty much.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-06-22, 15:06

vijayjohn wrote:

I strongly encourage you to read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-06-28, 21:24

Where’s the Equity for Black Murder Victims?

And we are talking about a disparity that couldn’t be any more stark — black men are killed, usually gunned down, in cold blood at vastly higher rates than any other group in society (albeit overwhelmingly at the hands of other black men). If you are a progressive who believes that any racial disparity is a function of institutional racism, this is a devastating commentary on racial discrimination in America, but it is met with a relative shrug and certainly none of the passion of, say, the resistance to the Georgia voting law.

Of course, it’s worse than that. Progressives have made this disparity worse. It is their narratives, their policies, and their elected officials who have enabled the current surge in murder, making a long-standing phenomenon even more pronounced.

Do they feel guilty about it, abashed in any way? There’s no sign of it, and indeed while gun homicides have increased since 2014, they’ve kept hammering on the police.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-06-28, 23:14

Chicago's Dismal Murder Solve Rate Even Worse When Victims Are Black

It's on detectives to earn that trust, according to Teny Gross, executive director of the Institute for Nonviolence Chicago, a group in Austin that works with gang members and relatives of murder victims. "Those in power need to go the extra mile to serve the communities." It starts with the mothers of gun violence victims. "Many complain they don't get regular calls back [from detectives] and relationship-building with the family. To earn trust is a very difficult thing and every field has to do it — medicine, street outreach, social workers, teachers and police," Gross said. "We can't whine about it. We're paid by the taxpayers."
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-06-30, 15:34

I wonder what effect lying to the black community that racist cops are going around murdering black people has on the black community's cooperation with the police and thus on the solve rate.
I wonder what effect demonizing police officers as white supremacist pigs has on their job performance and the solve rate.

It's almost as if holding onto the ideology of "police = bad" takes priority over actually saving black lives.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-07-03, 19:51

Yasna wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

I strongly encourage you to read The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.

I strongly encourage you to stop being so goddamn racist. It isn't even doing you any favors. At this point, outside the forum, several forum members have independently expressed sheer disgust with your comments on POCs* without me even breathing a word about it to any of them, usually before anyone responds to the latest thing you said.

*EDIT: not to mention the fact that you are ignoring all the comments by the only POC arguing with you on the racism thread
lying to the black community that racist cops are going around murdering black people

It's not a lie. This is actually happening.
demonizing police officers as white supremacist pigs

Many of them are members of white supremacist organizations.
It's almost as if holding onto the ideology of "police = bad" takes priority over actually saving black lives.

It's more like attacking people for calling out racism takes priority over saving any lives, very likely including the lives of those doing the attacking.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-07-06, 15:26

Yasna wrote:

I wonder what effect lying to the black community that racist cops are going around murdering black people has on the black community's cooperation with the police and thus on the solve rate.

Who's "lying" about this? The CPD do go around murdering Black people. This is not disputed by reasonable people[*].

Yasna wrote:I wonder what effect demonizing police officers as white supremacist pigs has on their job performance and the solve rate.

Or, alternatively, that the police actually are bad.

How bad? I suggest you read this: http://chicagopoliceconsentdecree.org/. What is it? It's a consent decree signed between the US Federal Government and the City of Chicago because--to quote the document--"The...CPD has a history of serious problems endangering the lives of both residents and police officers." (My emphasis.) If you don't have time to read the entire document, at least read the "About" section, which gives a capsule history of the issues which led to its creation.

Only someone far removed from the daily realities of policing in Chicago would think hatred of the police here was something ginned up by agitators as opposed to a reasonable response to a long history of brutality and misconduct.

[*] I'm reminded of that quote of C.K. Chesterston's: “If it be true (as it certainly is) that a man can feel exquisite happiness in skinning a cat, then the religious philosopher can only draw one of two deductions. He must either deny the existence of God, as all atheists do; or he must deny the present union between God and man, as all Christians do. The new theologians seem to think it a highly rationalistic solution to deny the cat.” I'll leave it to you to figure out who in this case is analogous to the atheist, the religious philosopher, and new theologians, respectively.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Politics and Religion”