Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Re: Random Politics 2

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-11-19, 20:59

And in others they actively encourage people to visit (thinking of a tiny Orthodox church somewhere in the Czech Republic, I don't even remember where, that someone said we should go to and someone else happily invited us in). Quite a few churches I've been in also have some space, either a side chapel of simply some benches or rows of chairs, specifically for quiet contemplation or praying.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-19, 22:05

I don't know much about this topic, I suppose; I get the impression that a lot of people today don't understand how important the Holocaust is, which I do find pretty alarming. I don't think it's a good idea to take selfies at a Holocaust memorial without knowing what it's about.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-11-19, 23:37

A lot of people definitely don't understand that, but I think that someone is already quoted in the article saying that the monument doesn't resonate with current generations.

I've been to that monument (and I didn't take any selfies) but I also didn't feel like the monument spoke to me in any way -- and I'm someone who considers himself quite aware of the horrors of the Third Reich. Within walking distance from that monument there's a Jewish cemetery and outside there's a statue that had much more emotional impact to me. I think that even a clueless tourist would at least suspect that this is not just any public art installation.

I guess my position is that this is just a symptom of a problem, and not a problem by itself.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-20, 16:36

It's strange to me that a lot of Americans these days apparently don't know about the Holocaust. When I went to school, it seemed like our teachers would never shut up about the Shoah (even though they never used or introduced us to that word), yet they'd never talk about anything else, not even Gentile victims of the Holocaust. They'd bring it up every few years as if there had never been any other massive humanitarian crime in the history of the world. I must have read some version of The Diary of Anne Frank several times. In elementary school, the only literature there was that was set outside the US was often fictionalized Holocaust survivor biographies.

It's even stranger to me that a lot of Americans these days apparently don't know about 9/11, but honestly, most of the ones who do remember it infuriate me. They seem to make it all about themselves, not even about the people who actually died in it. They fail to acknowledge the horrific war crimes committed by their own government and that if we didn't meddle in the Middle East so goddamn much, it probably wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Return to “Politics and Religion”