Random Politics 2

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Random Politics 2

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-26, 3:16

Thanks!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-27, 0:08

Meanwhile in India, the central government is apparently trying to impose Hindi on the whole country (again; this happens occasionally and is always shot down because of course it won't work). Also, the government of Tamil Nadu is getting excited about this. Some linguistically inclined Tamil people I know online are more skeptical.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-09-27, 3:18

Sounds like something Bolsonaro would do.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-09-27, 20:34

Linksliberale müssen Toleranz lernen

"Altbundespräsident Joachim Gauck hat es als „bedrohlich“ bezeichnet, dass „viele in den linksliberalen Kreisen sehr pauschal alles ablehnen und sogar als Gefahr für die Demokratie verurteilen, was rechts von der politischen Mitte oder rechts von der Union ist“. „Auch linksliberale Meinungsführer müssen lernen zu tolerieren, dass Teile unserer Gesellschaft anders ticken, anders denken, anders sprechen, auch wenn dies bei liberalen Eliten Kopfschütteln, Ratlosigkeit und Ablehnung hervorruft“, sagte Gauck dem Nachrichtenmagazin „Focus“."

"Kritik übte Gauck an übertriebener Political Correctness. „Wenn man die deutsche Sprache unbedingt einer erhofften gesellschaftlichen Entwicklung anpassen will, kann das schnell zu Übertreibungen führen, die von großen Teilen der Bevölkerung abgelehnt werden.“ Er nenne diesen „Neusprech“ auch „betreutes Sprechen“. Es könne nicht sein, dass man aus lauter Angst vor dem Vorwurf der Fremdenfeindlichkeit oder des Rassismus kritische Themen nicht mehr ansprechen dürfe. „Wenn die demokratische Mitte Reizthemen meidet, werden diese an den politischen Rändern zu Hauptthemen.“"
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-10-03, 21:59

This guy I used to play tennis with posted a fabricated quote from Hillary. "I would like to see people like Donald Trump run for office; They’re honest and can’t be bought." I let him know it's a fabrication, and his response is "I don't care". So that's what it means to live in the post-truth era. Now I'm depressed.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-04, 6:41

Osias wrote:Sounds like something Bolsonaro would do.

Which? Imposing Hindi on the whole country or getting excited about archeology?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-10-04, 13:48

vijayjohn wrote:
Osias wrote:Sounds like something Bolsonaro would do.

Which? Imposing Hindi on the whole country or getting excited about archeology?

Both, if archaeology "proved" Earth is flat, boys should wear blue, America is great again or Lula is the one to blame on anything.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-06, 2:32

As far as I understand: The Indian states of Karnataka and Bihar are both suffering from floods. The national government is not doing anything about the situation in either state even though the governor(?) of Karnataka is a BJP loyalist and Modi (IIRC) promised to help. There are apparently some Malayalees helping out at least in Bihar, and some famous Malayalees are criticizing Modi and his administration for failing to respond.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-10-07, 0:11

Legislative elections were today. We got a few new small parties getting representation this time for a change. Gonna be interesting.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-09, 5:58

The Indian Army is imprisoning young Kashmiri children, and the current government is involved in a major corruption scandal that the Supreme Court is set to issue judgment on next month. Meanwhile, apparently, the government has decided to sentence an Indian policeman who tried to stop a religious riot twenty years ago to 30 years in prison, claiming that some of the Hindu extremists died in his custody.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-10, 6:08

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/1 ... lice-urge/

Two dead in shooting targeting German synagogue in live-streamed attack

In headcam footage posted on Twitch the gunman fires three shotgun rounds into the synagogue’s door, but fails to break it down.

Before the shooting begins, he says in English: “My name is Anon and I think the holocaust never happened...feminism is the cause of declining birth rates in the West which acts as a scapegoat for mass immigration, and the root of all these problems is the Jew.”

The attacker was named by the German press last night as Stephan B, a 27-year-old German from the surrounding state of Saxony-Anhalt.

Lets see how the neonazi enablers will spin this one :roll:
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-13, 15:56

The absolute mad lad, the Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akıncı, had this to say about the Turkish invasion of Rojava in Syria:
Sometimes, staying quiet does not mean you have nothing to say. Sometimes, the situation is so complicated that, it is not possible to pass off as "Yes" or "No". It might be necessary to stay quiet if you think your words are unlikely to influence the situation. Nevertheless, I am constantly being pressured about Turkey's latest operation in Syria. Some are growing impatient because they are interested to know about my perspective, but most because they cannot wait to use it for political gain. Some know-it-alls have even started coming up with conspiracy theories as a result of this silence.

It is now inevitable to clarify my view: I do not believe that there is a single person amongst us who does not want Turkey's well-being and for her to be rid of Terrorism. The fact of the matter is the answer to the question "Where does Turkey's well-being lie?". This question is mainly relevant to those who live in Turkey, certainly. But it is my belief that Syria had enough of this war which is almost ten years old. Reaching peace will not be possible if blood continues to be spilt as it has been for the last ten years. In my opinion, a happy and peaceful future for Turkey would possibly be built through dialog between Turkish, Kurdish, Arab, Turkmen, and all communities in the region.

A way has to be paved for Turkey to feel safe about her borders and for Syria to maintain her territorial integrity. Personally speaking, reestablishing relations between Turkey and Syria, as soon as possible, would be of great benefit. Furthermore, it is my greatest wish to see Turkey's damaged relations with countries in the region, including Egypt, to be mended. Everyone would be better off with a Turkey which is collaborative as opposed to being at odds with the EU. In 1974, at the age of 27, I took part in Turkey's military operation as a result of the Fascist Greek Junta, like every other young Turkish Cypriot.

My friends fell beside me in Dereboyu, Nicosia; like most of us, I learned the true meaning of war, having lived through it. It is for this reason that I do not want any community to experience the suffering of war. I cannot wish harm on any child, Turkish, Kurdish, or Arab. I have mentioned this before, even though we named it as Peace Operation in 1974, it was war and it was blood that was spilt. Now, even though we name it as Peace Spring, it is blood that is being spilt, not water. Therefore, it is my greatest wish for dialog and diplomacy to prevail.

Despite how carefully he phrased it considering that he has the position of president of TRNC which is a vassal state of Turkey at best, he has shown more bravery than most EU and Western leaderships.

But of course, he is going to pay for this. Losing his position will be the least to happen to him
https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/10/13/erdo ... s-updated/
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-10-13, 19:23

md0 wrote:
Despite how carefully he phrased it considering that he has the position of president of TRNC which is a vassal state of Turkey at best, he has shown more bravery than most EU and Western leaderships.

But of course, he is going to pay for this. Losing his position will be the least to happen to him
https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/10/13/erdo ... s-updated/

I find his views, at least as expressed in this text, more palatable than that of most leftists, let alone most leaderships...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-13, 19:40

So Kashmir has basically turned into a prison, Ladakh is apparently not much better off, and a higher-caste boy slashed a Dalit classmate's back recently (I think with a knife, but I don't remember exactly now). EDIT: And public lynchings of anyone expressing opposition to Modi seem to be pretty common now. Also apparently, here in the US, copies of some Latinx writer's work are being publicly burned.

In slightly more lighthearted news, Xi Jinping recently visited (or is visiting?) India and met with Narendra Modi in Tamil Nadu. The BJP got some of its facts about Tamil Nadu wrong, including exaggerating the amount of political support it has there and mistakenly labeling this monument as a "temple" (possibly confusing it with one of the various temples in the same town, perhaps most famously this temple complex).

Also, a satirical song in Malayalam telling Modi to get out of South India has gone viral and I've seen at least two videoclips of Malayalee kids performing elaborate dances to it on the street.

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-13, 20:12

Saim wrote:I find his views, at least as expressed in this text, more palatable than that of most leftists, let alone most leaderships...

He is such a tragic figure. I think he will be the last pacifist leader this island will ever have. Any hope for peace in Cyprus dies with the end of his tenure in six months - if he is not forced to resign sooner.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-14, 1:11

But given that he managed to gain power in the first place, what makes you think this could never happen again? :hmm:

Interesting, though, I had no idea about this guy (not that that's saying much :P).

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-10-14, 5:21

He comes from a tiny social democratic party. He only became president of the TRNC on a campaign of reunification, which 5 years ago felt achievable. He made many concessions to the Greek Cypriot side that angered Turkey (including proposing territorial readjustments in favour of GCs behind Turkey's back) and yet they went unmet by the Greek Cypriots -our leadership is not even convincing anyone they want reunification any more, so he looks like an idiot for insisting on negotiations. He burnt all his political capital for what amounts to nothing unfortunately.

It's all about gunboats now.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-10-23, 18:46

I am tired of the situation here. I don’t feel very comfortable. I wish everything was better.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-24, 15:42

Why, what situation do you mean? :hmm:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-10-24, 18:06

vijayjohn wrote:Why, what situation do you mean? :hmm:

There's been a political crisis going on for a while. Most recently protests shut down El Prat airport and a bunch of people got seriously injured by the police who have been using rubber bullets.

Return to “Politics and Religion”