Random Politics Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Saim

Re: Random Politics Thread

Postby Saim » 2018-07-11, 18:42

I don't know anything about these groups (I'm more well-versed in Serbian than Bosnian politics, and even then...). After a cursory look none of them seem to be any sort of ML sect. Oštra Nula is a Western funded NGO, so YMMV on how good that is. Other than that all I can say is that a leftcom acquaintance from Serbia (who I would say has rather 'good politics') likes Basoc on Facebook. :lol:

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm just an ignorant diasporan. Maybe I could ask if anyone knows more in this left-wing BCHS-speaking Facebook group I'm part of? They've recently had lots of discussions about the role of NGOs in the region so I imagine we could get some information out of them.

What will you be doing in Bosnia, by the way? How long are you there for?

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-07-11, 20:05

Thank you! At least I have an indication about BASOC, which will be the one most close to where I will be staying.

My Slovene pal warned me that MLism is the main leftist tendency in Bosnia and Herzegovina so I was being cautious :)

Oštra Nula is a weird one yeah. I noticed the phrases "Donatori: Američka ambasada" and "SMRT KAPITALIZMU" on the same page. Those are definitely not words you often see together :lol:
Even participating as guests to events receiving funding from governments would be political suicide for a leftist organisation in Cyprus (especially because of the mostly fabricated witch-hunt against "USAID-sponsored federalisation promoters" of 2003-2004)

What will you be doing in Bosnia, by the way? How long are you there for?

I will be at a Linguistics summer school in Banja Luka. I'll be in Bosnia for 17 days, most of them in Banja Luka, but I'm trying to see what other cities to visit, either for museums of political history, or for venues like that (political present, lets say).

Originally I thought I would also have time to also see Serbia and Slovenia, but I underestimated the travel distances.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-12, 5:30

I wonder whether we've ever had any users who are more familiar with Bosnian politics.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-07-19, 21:13

Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-23, 1:53

Last night, we had a bunch of (Malayalee) people over at our house. The guys were talking politics at some point, and the conservative one (the rest are all more left-wing) said something about democracy dying and benevolent dictators being the way to go.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-07-23, 17:30

The "Trump Derangement Syndrome" term annoys me. If some liberal reactions to Trump are "deranged", how the hell do you describe the widespread batshit lunacy observed on the right towards every word, every shift in facial expression, every blink Obama made for 8 years?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-07-24, 3:07

Der homo politicus par excellence, Helmut Schmidt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T00OJERtik

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-08-13, 21:51

Because of the Turkish Lira's freefall, there's signs of runaway inflation in northern Cyprus (which is hit harder than Turkey, because northern Cyprus has no real production or international trade). A friend of mine from north offhandedly remarked how he's suddenly outpriced in south even from normal things like getting one beer at a coffeeshop, and how it would be nice if Greek Cypriots showed some solidarity and allowed TCs some opportunities to trade internationally and decouple from Turkey's economy.

I told him that GCs at large are asking for more isolation of TCs (closing the crossing points) because Lira's devaluation is hurting their financial interests (GCs going to north for cheaper gas and medicine because of the beneficial exchange rate).
And secretly I thought that GCs at large would also not show any solidarity to TCs if there was a devastating natural disaster similar say to the forest fire Greece experienced earlier this summer (and for which TCs ran relief campaigns).

Save for some of us in the fringes of the Left, GCs are perfectly fine with the partition if it allows them never to care about their neighbours/"former" compatriots. Say what you want about Turkey's indeed illegal invasion and occupation (coincidentally 44 years ago exactly today), but there's a 60~70% of Greek Cypriots who are secretly (actually, increasingly more public about it) glad Turkey invaded and spared them from having to share a state and a society with Turkish Cypriots.

That was a random political note on the devaluation of the Lira. Invest in northern Cyprus maybe? (Just not on immovable property, because it complicates the reunification efforts).
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-13, 22:01

md0 wrote:That was a random political note on the devaluation of the Lira. Invest in northern Cyprus maybe? (Just not on immovable property, because it complicates the reunification efforts).

Tangent: I didn't realise the term "immovable property" was even used in English. In AE, this would be termed "real estate". ("Real property" exists as well, but only as a legal term of art.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-08-13, 22:04

I think it's a legal term, we are familiar with it precisely because it shows up on any discussions of reunification (eg Immovable Property Commission)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-14, 15:10

WTF is going on in Gothenburg, y'all?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-08-17, 21:13

Jesidin trifft auf IS-Peiniger

If this wasn't so tragic it would be a brilliant drama. A young Yazidi woman in Germany ran into the Islamic State fighter who had enslaved and raped her when she was 15 years old. She panicked and fled back to Iraq after he threatened her. The man still hasn't been identified. Anyone who still thinks open borders are a good idea needs to have their head checked.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-18, 4:42

Wow, that one anecdote totally changed my mind. We should reinstate visa controls worldwide immediately!

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-08-18, 6:28

Personally I think we should all have Soviet-style internal passports and all major cities should only be accessible by drawbridge.

Also this is the first time I heard Schengen has open borders. Does that mean I don't have to go to the Polish Embassy this September to pick up my visa? It would certainly make my life easier.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2018-08-18, 11:16

I watched this video, and read the comments. That was a mistake. Now I'm very upset. :evil:

https://youtu.be/K_lweBl70N0

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2018-08-18, 18:21

linguoboy wrote:Wow, that one anecdote totally changed my mind. We should reinstate visa controls worldwide immediately!

Saim wrote:Personally I think we should all have Soviet-style internal passports and all major cities should only be accessible by drawbridge.

Also this is the first time I heard Schengen has open borders. Does that mean I don't have to go to the Polish Embassy this September to pick up my visa? It would certainly make my life easier.

Apparently my point was too subtle. The idea is that Germany essentially carried out an open borders experiment in 2015, when thousands of migrants were crossing into Germany on a daily basis with little to no background checks. There have been ghastly consequences, such as the story I just mentioned, murders by asylum seekers, and an epidemic of violence against women, the most infamous case being the hundreds of sexual assaults committed in Cologne on New Year's Eve 2015. Oh, and a far right party is now the strongest opposition party in Germany.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember either of you being an open borders advocate, in which case my "jab" wouldn't apply to you.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-08-18, 18:41

I don't believe in opening borders, I believe in abolishing them completely. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-18, 23:31

All you have to do to know how pointless borders are, especially in a European context, is look at the Roma. Roma in Europe have never given a fuck about anyone's borders.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-18, 23:42

That’s because they usually have the nationality of a European country.

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-08-19, 0:04

vijayjohn wrote:All you have to do to know how pointless borders are, especially in a European context, is look at the Roma. Roma in Europe have never given a fuck about anyone's borders.

I don't give a fuck about chemistry therefore chemistry is pointless.

(Just for the record, I don't have very strong opinions about borders at this point in time but I really struggle to understand your logic).

Return to “Politics and Religion”