Random Politics Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Saim

Re: Random Politics Thread

Postby Saim » 2018-07-11, 18:42

I don't know anything about these groups (I'm more well-versed in Serbian than Bosnian politics, and even then...). After a cursory look none of them seem to be any sort of ML sect. Oštra Nula is a Western funded NGO, so YMMV on how good that is. Other than that all I can say is that a leftcom acquaintance from Serbia (who I would say has rather 'good politics') likes Basoc on Facebook. :lol:

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm just an ignorant diasporan. Maybe I could ask if anyone knows more in this left-wing BCHS-speaking Facebook group I'm part of? They've recently had lots of discussions about the role of NGOs in the region so I imagine we could get some information out of them.

What will you be doing in Bosnia, by the way? How long are you there for?

md0

Postby md0 » 2018-07-11, 20:05

Thank you! At least I have an indication about BASOC, which will be the one most close to where I will be staying.

My Slovene pal warned me that MLism is the main leftist tendency in Bosnia and Herzegovina so I was being cautious :)

Oštra Nula is a weird one yeah. I noticed the phrases "Donatori: Američka ambasada" and "SMRT KAPITALIZMU" on the same page. Those are definitely not words you often see together :lol:
Even participating as guests to events receiving funding from governments would be political suicide for a leftist organisation in Cyprus (especially because of the mostly fabricated witch-hunt against "USAID-sponsored federalisation promoters" of 2003-2004)

What will you be doing in Bosnia, by the way? How long are you there for?

I will be at a Linguistics summer school in Banja Luka. I'll be in Bosnia for 17 days, most of them in Banja Luka, but I'm trying to see what other cities to visit, either for museums of political history, or for venues like that (political present, lets say).

Originally I thought I would also have time to also see Serbia and Slovenia, but I underestimated the travel distances.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-12, 5:30

I wonder whether we've ever had any users who are more familiar with Bosnian politics.

Return to “Politics and Religion”