Random Politics Thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Re: Random Politics Thread

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-11-13, 14:05

It doesn't work like that in many other countries. Plus, the military and many people in power don't consider the Rohingya "their constituents", they see them as illegal immigrants who should leave Myanmar asap.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-11-13, 14:51

Linguoboy wrote:...

The Rohingya don't have Burmese citizenship so they're not "constituents".

Also, what about the Southern Strategy and voter disenfranchisement?

vijayjohn wrote:I'm not entirely sure she isn't already trying to push the limits

What has she actually done, concretely?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-13, 16:31

Aurinĭa wrote:Follow-up question: how much of that is to appease the West, because she needs Western support? I'm sounding a bit cynical here, but well, such things have happened before...

I'd be surprised if she didn't at least intend to appease the West at all, and I suspect the reason why the West doesn't feel appeased is because she can't really do that while the military still has considerable power. She must be in a rather difficult position no matter which way you slice it. On the one hand, the West has repeatedly proven to be a dangerous enemy all around the world; on the other hand, the military already has been her enemy at home in Burma. Yet she has no choice but to somehow manage relations with both. I'm sure she's aware of that.
Saim wrote:Also, what about the Southern Strategy and voter disenfranchisement?

Those are both efforts to flout the law with varying degrees of success.
vijayjohn wrote:I'm not entirely sure she isn't already trying to push the limits

What has she actually done, concretely?

If I knew that she'd done anything concrete, she wouldn't still be in power, would she? That's also why I'm not entirely sure and probably can't be.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-11-22, 16:07

Ratko Mladić je osuđen na doživotnu kaznu.
Ratko Mladić got a life sentence.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-11-23, 4:06

Reason 71936 that the Vietnam war was a bad idea.

VA study shows parasite from Vietnam may be killing vets
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-11-27, 18:15

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-11-28, 16:03

Left: Asturian
Middle: Valencian, Galician, Basque, Aragonese
Right: Spanish

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-11-29, 18:33

"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-29, 20:32

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-29, 20:34

I wonder whether that guy talks in The Death of Yugoslavia. (This is always what I wonder when I see anyone notably involved in the Yugoslav Wars).

EDIT: Nope, apparently not.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-12-04, 17:06

Our government slyly decided to get Cyprus into EU's wannabe NATO pact, so an update of the militarisation map
cyprusarmy-new.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-12-04, 19:51

That doesn't look complicated at all. :para:
What's Israel doing there? Russia? The US? Etc.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-12-04, 20:25

Israel appreciates how Cypriot terrain looks a lot like Lebanon's, so they are here often for military exercises, and some logistics support.

Russia is using as as a warm water port quite often after the situation in Syria become so complicated.

The US are hosted by the UK in their sovereign base areas in Limassol and the not-so-sovereign base at the summit of Mt Troodos — even though the SBAs are supposed to be for UK's use only, if the 1960 Treaty of Establishment means anything to anyone (it doesn't).

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-12-08, 6:14

So, a year ago I was thinking that at least Trump's isolationism will at least leave this corner of the Mediterranean in relative peace. It became obvious from early on that he won't be isolationist at all, but this week's recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Israel without a comprehensive solution to the Palestinian Issue is just a disaster.
So I apologise for, and retract my previous "meh, at least he won't start a new war" statements. That's not an endorsement for Clinton though, who would have kept the same policy as Obama and just silently bomb the shit out of Western Asia.

And thanks to our conservative-liberal government's decision to realign Cyprus with the interests of Israel and get rid of what was left of our neutrality, I am sure they will find an opportunity to militarise Cyprus further in (unwarranted?) anticipation of us becoming a proxy target for anti-US and anti-Israel attacks.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-08, 22:38

Huh, I thought you were actually pretty worried about him starting a new war from the beginning. :hmm: But will he? Or has he already?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-12-08, 23:47

An interesting take on the recent string of sexual misconduct cases.

The Unexamined Brutality of the Male Libido

"Which is how we wind up where we are today: having a public conversation about male sexual misbehavior, while barely touching on the nature of men and sex. The (very few) prominent men who are speaking up now basically just insist that men need to be better feminists — as if the past few weeks have not amply demonstrated that the ideologies of men are irrelevant.

Liberalism has tended to confront gender problems from a technocratic point of view: improved systems, improved laws, better health. That approach has resulted in plenty of triumphs. But there remains no cure for human desire. (“It isn’t actually about sex, it’s about power,” I read in The Guardian the other day. How naïve must you be not to understand that sex itself is about power every bit as much as it’s about pleasure?)"

"Sex is an impediment to any idealism, which is why the post-Weinstein era will be an era of gender pessimism. What if there is no possible reconciliation between the bright clean ideals of gender equality and the mechanisms of human desire? Meanwhile, sexual morality, so long resisted by liberals, has returned with a vengeance, albeit under progressive terms. The sensation of righteousness, which social media doles out in ever-diminishing dopamine hits, drives the discussion, but also limits it. Unable to find justice, or even to imagine it, we are returning to shame as our primary social form of sexual control."

"I’m not asking for male consciousness-raising groups; let’s start with a basic understanding that masculinity is a subject worth thinking about. That alone would be an immense step forward. If you want to be a civilized man, you have to consider what you are. Pretending to be something else, some fiction you would prefer to be, cannot help. It is not morality but culture — accepting our monstrosity, reckoning with it — that can save us. If anything can."

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-12-09, 5:05

vijayjohn wrote:Huh, I thought you were actually pretty worried about him starting a new war from the beginning. :hmm: But will he? Or has he already?

Before the elections last year, he appeared to must if not all of us over here that he would be isolationist. I don't think I've met anyone in Cyprus who preferred Clinton over Trump when the question was solely about wars in the region.

Of course we were proven wrong almost immediately after he was elected.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-12-10, 11:55

The new Prime Minister of Poland wants to "re-Christianise" Europe. :roll:

https://www.wprost.pl/kraj/10091350/mat ... rtach.html

md0 wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Huh, I thought you were actually pretty worried about him starting a new war from the beginning. :hmm: But will he? Or has he already?

Before the elections last year, he appeared to must if not all of us over here that he would be isolationist. I don't think I've met anyone in Cyprus who preferred Clinton over Trump when the question was solely about wars in the region.

Of course we were proven wrong almost immediately after he was elected.

I heard a lot of this in lefty circles but I always thought he'd fall back into the Republican consensus on these issues as he wasn't exactly known for particularly consistent views on foreign policy anyway... I mean, he was already talking about stealing Iraq's oil and killing the families of terrorists before he was elected.

Johanna
Forum Administrator

Postby Johanna » 2017-12-10, 16:36

The Swedish Speaker of the Parliament is apparently a sexual predator.

How the fuck did this happen?!

His "shenanigans" made him ineligible for the post of Foreign minister? Let's make him 3rd in line when it comes to representing the country! (After the King and Crown Princess.)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-11, 0:03

Saim wrote:I heard a lot of this in lefty circles but I always thought he'd fall back into the Republican consensus on these issues as he wasn't exactly known for particularly consistent views on foreign policy anyway...

Or on anything else!

Return to “Politics and Religion”