Feminism

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Feminism

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-14, 16:47

I mean, men can have difficulty figuring out what to wear, too, but I don't think she said anything particularly unreasonable or was being "huffy and uptight," and I don't agree that having difficulty choosing what to wear is a sign of vanity or whatever. Women certainly are complex and multifaceted human beings. So are men and children. It doesn't strike me as unreasonable for people to think of their choice of clothing on a given day as reflective of their mood, but people can have all kinds of moods, and reflecting every single one of them through clothing is probably impossible. Now, if she was trying to argue that therefore, women should be allowed to spend lots of money on clothing at the expense of, say, their children's education (provided, of course, that they have children), then I could see a problem.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2017-11-14, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-11-14, 16:54

I can see her point though. Expected clothing for women in social situations has a lot of micro-regulations, while men just have a few broad expected clothing categories.

But if she is making the argument that this difference has to be accepted and perpetuated, I disagree.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-14, 17:03

md0 wrote:I can see her point though. Expected clothing for women in social situations has a lot of micro-regulations, while men just have a few broad expected clothing categories.

That's not what she means. She doesn't even mention social pressure. She's basically saying "this is how women are, we're polyhedric human beings who change everyday".

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-11-14, 17:14

I think she just ended up believing this image that women are so complex and moody etc. unlike the plain men. It sounds clichéd to me, but not bad.
Please correct my mistakes!

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-14, 17:23

vijayjohn wrote:Women certainly are complex and multifaceted human beings. So are men and children.

Exactly. All human beings are, not just women.

vijayjohn wrote:It doesn't strike me as unreasonable for people to think of their choice of clothing on a given day as reflective of their mood

This is a perfectly sensible point which can be applied to all genders. However she doen't define the issue in terms of mood, she's giving some deep ontological reason as to why women (and only women) behave like that, my impression is that she's trying to make women pass as some sorts of mythical creatures.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-11-14, 17:27

IpseDixit wrote:
md0 wrote:I can see her point though. Expected clothing for women in social situations has a lot of micro-regulations, while men just have a few broad expected clothing categories.

That's not what she means. She doesn't even mention social pressure. She's basically saying "this is how women are, we're polyhedric human beings who change everyday".

That's essentialist bullshit then.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"

Johanna
Forum Administrator

Postby Johanna » 2017-11-23, 13:15

The #metoo campaign has invaded the circles of the Nobel Prize (of Literature): https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/man-with- ... l-assault/ (Very reliable, somewhat right leaning Swedish newspaper, the article itself is in English)

It doesn't say in the article, but apparently the Academy were aware of 'lighter' sexual harassment from the individual in question and decided to do nothing, it's only now that they are cutting ties.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Return to “Politics and Religion”