Regional Variations, Colloquialisms, and Dialects

BobMaster0

Regional Variations, Colloquialisms, and Dialects

Postby BobMaster0 » 2005-09-14, 14:04

I'm just curious if anyone here would be interested in discussing what they know about the above in regards to Japanese. Now, I've never actually been to Japan, but I've heard enough to pick up on a large volume of phonetic/lexical/grammatical changes that take place in everyday speech. All I can really do for now is maybe list them as they some to mind, but eventually I'd like to flesh this out and maybe turn it into a full-fledged discussion on Japanese dialects or even historical changes in the language. All these things I've mentioned are one my primary interests within Japanese, and I hope to do some work in this area, namely looking at things like how colloquial forms in the western part of the country closely resemble older Japanese forms. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

IkimashoZ

Postby IkimashoZ » 2005-09-14, 21:35

Here are some changes that I've heard where I live (the kansai region).

わからない -> わからへん
(similarly, any 'nai' [present, negative, informal] conjugation can become 'hen'. I just hear 'wakarahen' the most)

わからなかった -> わからへんだ
(same deal as above, just with the past tense now)

ありがとう → おおきに
(I acutally hear both; 'ookini' usually follows an 'arigatou', but either one works just as well alone)

とても -> めっちゃ

つかれた -> しんどい

はなす -> しゃべる

ほんとに -> ほんまに

If I think of any others, I'll post them.
Last edited by IkimashoZ on 2005-09-15, 0:21, edited 2 times in total.

Native: English
Studied Lots: Deutsch, 日本語
Current Obsession: Español

BobMaster0

Postby BobMaster0 » 2005-09-14, 21:37

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. I'm going to compile a list later.

勺园之鬼

Postby 勺园之鬼 » 2005-09-14, 21:49

I remember I was witnessing a conversation between Japanese friends from the Kansai and Kantou regions; the Kantou dialect(s) being closer to the standard, there was a debate between how to say "interesting" and "not interesting".

関東 ------ 関西

おもしろい == おもろい
(面白い)

おもしろくない == おもんない
(面白くない)

There were many other examples my friends talked about, but unfortunately it was quite a long time ago and I can't remember any other... :oops:
四海为家

BobMaster0

Postby BobMaster0 » 2005-09-14, 23:52

For now, I'll just mention a couple of common changes I've seen. I think these will probably pertain more to 関西 dialects.

Adjective endings
One thing you may notice is the change that occur in vowels at the end of い-adjectives.
For example: 高い -> たけえ
        つまらない -> つまんねえ
Here the -あい at the end turn into a long え sound. This is pretty regular and not difficult to apply. When extending this idea to other adjectives, I ran into a few trouble spots at first. It occured to me that this doesn't work for words like 暑い.
Here, you see a variation on this theme.
Examples: 暑い -> あっちい
       寒い -> さみい
So here it's the same kind of thing. There's probably more to be said, but I'll save it for next time. I need some time to think over all this before I post anything unified or authoritative.

Verbs
The ません->へん thing was mentioned above, but I thought I'd throw out a few more things concerning verbs. There's another way of changing the negative ending that I hear pretty much every day.
Example: 分からない 分からん
      知らない  知らん
      言わない  言わん
      する    せん
      -なかった -んかった
Here, aside from the special form with する (くる is sometimes きひん, but I personally don't hear it often) all that's going on here is ない->ん. Now this may not seem like a big deal, but the thing that originally struck me about this was how much it sounds like the negative as you often see it in literature (知らぬ for example).

One last thing I'll throw in for now is the copula. Everyone learns だ, but you will also hear や and in some contexts じゃ as well.
だ    や    じゃ
だろう  やろう  じゃろう
じゃない やん   じゃん
and other such forms are possible.

Once I have the time, I'm going to flesh this out and post a big write-up of all the things I've picked up on. I also want to add that all this stuff is based on my observations and therefore is not intended to be an authoritative source on any of the topics I might decide to post. I merely have a strong interest in this sort of thing and I would like to post my observations. Look for something bigger, better, and more well-planned in the future.

Rounin

Postby Rounin » 2005-09-18, 20:23

In Hokkaidou, the word めんこい can apparently be used in place of かわいい. Or so I was told by a genuine Japanese oyaji.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-09-22, 2:00

My teacher is from Osaka. I love the dialect. :P

IkimashoZ

Postby IkimashoZ » 2005-09-22, 3:55

how long have you studied Japanese?

Native: English

Studied Lots: Deutsch, 日本語

Current Obsession: Español

BobMaster0

Postby BobMaster0 » 2005-09-22, 4:18

If you are asking me, two years.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-09-26, 1:34

Officially 1 year on Sep 21. Writing is still difficult for me though. :(

Once I fix my audio output and remove the firewall, I'll definitely join the Japanese voice chats...
I'm mainly focusing on oral skills at the moment. I don't have much time for anything else at the moment.

schalke81

Postby schalke81 » 2005-10-24, 15:54

I live in Osaka...and from what i my Japanese teacher tells me, the tohoku (northern honshu) accent is the most difficult for osakans...to the extent that there are subtitles whenever the local tohokan ojisans ans obaasans start speaking on NHK!

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”