Thematic kanji list?

do_shahbaz
Thematic kanji list?

Postby do_shahbaz » 2021-01-26, 8:22

Are there kanji lists out there that sorts kanjis by theme? Many learners of Japanese (me included) find comfortable learning kanjis of the same concepts or themes, and such lists could prove very helpful to us.

I am thinking of something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kanji_by_concept

but on a larger scale, and one which includes the readings, both Kan-on and Kunyomi.

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Re: Thematic kanji list?

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-01-26, 14:53

No, I've never seen a list like that, interesting idea though. It might be a worth-while exercise to build such a list yourself (that way you can control the categorisation too).
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

KanjiCrusher

Postby KanjiCrusher » 2021-02-03, 13:17

I am currently working on something similar in my final thesis - kanji categorized into around 75 mostly semantic groups, however my system makes use of fundamental components and on readings as well. I will show you some "samples", as the thesis has not been published, yet. For example, the first group representing "numbers" without having the uniform fundamental component looks like this:

a) 一二仁三四五六七八九十百千万億憶兆眺挑跳

一二仁三四五六七八九十百千万億兆 = chief characters ... share the same semantic concept ("numbers")

仁憶眺挑跳 = visual-reading companion characters ... not related to the group semantically, but they share the same component as one of the chief characters + at least one same on (Sinojapanese) reading

- most of the groups actually share the same fundamental component (radical) as well:

b) 魚鮎鯉鯛鮭鮫鯨鮮漁

魚鮎鯉鯛鮭鮫鯨 = semantic chief characters ... share the same semantic concept ("fishes")

鮮漁 = visual chief characters ... does not share the semantic concept, but contains the same fundamental component
(魚)

Let me know in case you are interested in my list. My mail is: kandrac.patrick@gmail.com
Last edited by KanjiCrusher on 2021-02-03, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

KanjiCrusher

Postby KanjiCrusher » 2021-02-03, 13:19

Btw, the (mostly) semantic ordering of the groups of the system mentioned above looks like this:

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”