It may sound a bit silly...

Fabiano

It may sound a bit silly...

Postby Fabiano » 2005-05-14, 14:35

Kon'nichi wa!

It may sound a bit silly, but I wonder if someone here can explain me HOW Japanese people do write with a computer...not only the lovely kanasbut also the complex kanji. And a propos, can someone here explain me how can I write Japanese with my computer?

Arigatoo gozaimasu. 8) 8) 8)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-05-14, 14:40

Which OS are you using, Fabiano?
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2005-05-14, 15:11

OS? Do you mean my software? Linux GCI. Do you know if I can write Japanese letters and kanji's with Linux?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-05-14, 15:22

I confess I myself know nothing about Linux, so I can only wonder if the following links will be useful at all:

http://home.unilang.org/main/softwareman/softwareman.php?l=en#jaunix
http://www.tlug.jp/linuxinjapan.html
http://www.tlug.jp/craigoda/writings/linux-nihongo/

Linux is very popular among Unilangers, though, so I'm sure that, if nothing above helps, someone will come up with something. :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

geoff

Postby geoff » 2005-05-14, 17:38

Fabiano wrote:Do you know if I can write Japanese letters and kanji's with Linux?

Of course you can! I can recommend the input system "scim", and this excellent page explaining how to set it up:
http://home.no.net/david/i18n.php

geoff

MP: Sinun täytyy nousta ylös. Aurinko paistaa.
PM: Höh, mitä ihmeellista siinä on?
MP: Talvi on ohi, kevät on tullut ja elämä on ihana.
PM: Nukkuminenkin on ihanaa.

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2005-05-16, 19:46

geoff wrote:
Fabiano wrote:Do you know if I can write Japanese letters and kanji's with Linux?

Of course you can! I can recommend the input system "scim", and this excellent page explaining how to set it up:
http://home.no.net/david/i18n.php

geoff

Thank you for your help, friend, I've visited the links you and
Psi-Lord have posted and I've liked them very much. I think they will help me a lot in learning Japanese.

Arigatoo gozaimasu. 8) 8)

Trebuchet

JWPce

Postby Trebuchet » 2005-05-20, 23:12

I haven't had a chance to check out the above program, but I have found JWPce to be very helpful. True-type, it has a built in dictionary that lets you select kanji and look them up.

Here is the link:
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpce.html

Fabiano

Re: JWPce

Postby Fabiano » 2005-06-02, 15:31

Trebuchet wrote:I haven't had a chance to check out the above program, but I have found JWPce to be very helpful. True-type, it has a built in dictionary that lets you select kanji and look them up.

Here is the link:
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpce.html

The program seems to be very good, but I can hardly download it. Linux isn't really the best software one can choose.

geoff

Re: JWPce

Postby geoff » 2005-06-02, 16:53

Fabiano wrote:Linux isn't really the best software one can choose.

Really? I find it an excellent choice, also for Japanese.

geoff

MP: Sinun täytyy nousta ylös. Aurinko paistaa.
PM: Höh, mitä ihmeellista siinä on?
MP: Talvi on ohi, kevät on tullut ja elämä on ihana.
PM: Nukkuminenkin on ihanaa.

Qcumber

Postby Qcumber » 2005-06-04, 22:11

I bought the NJStar wordprocessor for Japanese a couple of years ago. It's quite good.

You type your Japanese words in Latin characters on your Latin keyboard, and the text in displayed in hiragana-s.

Once your sentence is finished, you highlight the hiragana-s that should be replaced by katakana-s, and click on this option.

As regards words to be written in kanji-s, for a given word, you highlight the corresponding hiragana-s, and put the problem to the dictionary. It will come up with all the possibilities stored in its memory, and you pick the one that fits your text.

You can enter kanji-s directly by searching for them in the facility where they are sorted according to their Chinese radicals. The process can be long, but often necessary because the dictionary doesn't contain everything.

Once your text is finished you can copy it and paste it on a MS-Word page. There it is treated directly as text.

You can do the same with WordPerfect. Unfortunately WP will treat your Japanese text in kanas- & kanji-s as a picture, so you have to paste it as such, then position it clung to the page, a paragraph or a word, the latter being useful when quoting a Japanese term or name in a non-Japanese text. The best dimensions for each kanji are those of a 0.40cm square. The only advantage of Wordperfect is that the characters are the originals generated by NJStar, and they are both clear and beautiful.

I didn't buy the Chinese version. A couple of times I needed logograms that were not supplied by NJ-Star Japanese. I printed enlarged versions (10 x 10cm) of logograms that had the required elements, cut them out with a pair of scissors and assembled then to obtain the missing logogram. The final step was to scan it to insert it into the text.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-08-07, 20:02

I have installed a Japanese keyboard and checked with the UniLang site to see if I did everything alright, but how do I actually type? The options confuse me.
Please correct my mistakes!

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-08-07, 20:55

Car wrote:I have installed a Japanese keyboard and checked with the UniLang site to see if I did everything alright, but how do I actually type? The options confuse me.

Are you on Windows, Car?

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-08-08, 10:47

Yes, Win XP, I forgot to add that. :oops:

勺园之鬼

Postby 勺园之鬼 » 2005-08-08, 11:04

四海为家

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2005-08-08, 12:25

ありがとう!

That's really great, just what I needed to know!

(Did I get that right? I don't know any Japanese yet, after all)

Now I only need to wait until the CDs and one book I ordered arrive to start learning 日本語. :D

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”