サイロン = Rhinoron? Rhinoceron?

smbspo79
サイロン = Rhinoron? Rhinoceron?

Postby smbspo79 » 2020-01-15, 21:07

Good Morning my native Japanese speakers. I am very novice Japanese speaker and translator. I have a question been struggling with this one for a while. My reasoning is below.

サイロン “Sairon” (Not so easy a translation)it is another play on names. サイ= 犀 rhinoceros “Usually written using kana alone” and ロン = ron. Look at his name Sairon, airon is Iron in Japanese. It is a combination name of Rhinceros and Iron. When translating his card “not very flexible, but he has a gentle and warm heart.” “hates to bend”.

I have attached the card for reference. He is an anthropomorphic Rhino from the toy line Laserbeasts/Battle Beasts "Beastformers" in Japanese.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yasna

Re: サイロン = Rhinoron? Rhinoceron?

Postby Yasna » 2020-01-15, 22:14

smbspo79 wrote:サイロン “Sairon” (Not so easy a translation)it is another play on names. サイ= 犀 rhinoceros “Usually written using kana alone” and ロン = ron. Look at his name Sairon, airon is Iron in Japanese. It is a combination name of Rhinceros and Iron. When translating his card “not very flexible, but he has a gentle and warm heart.” “hates to bend”.

I have attached the card for reference. He is an anthropomorphic Rhino from the toy line Laserbeasts/Battle Beasts "Beastformers" in Japanese.

First of all, 曲がった事が大嫌い doesn't mean "hates to bend", it means "upright" with regards to a person's character.

I don't know anything about these toys, but I suspect the name サイロン was inspired by "Cylon" from Battlestar Galactica, which is also サイロン in Japanese.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

smbspo79

Re: サイロン = Rhinoron? Rhinoceron?

Postby smbspo79 » 2020-01-15, 22:39

Yasna wrote:
smbspo79 wrote:サイロン “Sairon” (Not so easy a translation)it is another play on names. サイ= 犀 rhinoceros “Usually written using kana alone” and ロン = ron. Look at his name Sairon, airon is Iron in Japanese. It is a combination name of Rhinceros and Iron. When translating his card “not very flexible, but he has a gentle and warm heart.” “hates to bend”.

First of all, 曲がった事が大嫌い doesn't mean "hates to bend", it means "upright" with regards to a person's character.

I don't know anything about these toys, but I suspect the name サイロン was inspired by "Cylon" from Battlestar Galactica, which is also サイロン in Japanese.

Thank you Yasna, I posted in another spot too, if the Mods could delete that post. I wasn't sure were to put it. Thank you for clarification on 曲がった事が大嫌い. Yeah, I am skeptical of Cylon though as they are Robots in Battlestar, where as he is a Rhino. That is my thoughts.

Steve

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”