Help with Japanese Kana

davisma1984

Help with Japanese Kana

Postby davisma1984 » 2005-03-01, 2:35

Do you guys have any tips to help me learn the Japanese kana? I've been trying to learn but nothing is sticking. I've forgotten everything by the next day. I'm using the book "Japanese for Busy People: Kana Workbook". Thanks for any help.

Pips

Postby Pips » 2005-03-01, 2:48

When I took Japanese in univesity, we only learned five kana each class; so although it took us most of the first semester to get through both syllabaries (we did hiragana first, then katakana), we moved slow enough so that the ones we had learned really stuck. That was a few years ago, and I haven't done much Japanese since, but I still remember all the kana pretty well. So I guess my advice is to do only a few a day; learn them and learn them well!

The book "Teach Yourself Beginner's Japanese Script" has some hints for remembering some of the kana: associate each one with a picture that evokes the sound. It's not a stretch of the imagination to see a little Loch NEss monster in the hiragana for "ne", or Elevator doors in the katakana for "e".

lazy_lillekvinne

Postby lazy_lillekvinne » 2005-03-01, 3:01

when I was learning the kana I memorized them as I learned words...I also did a few at a time (but more then 5)....but the thing that helped me most was watching japanese music videos with subtitles...I learned my first kana from watching ayumi hamasaki's 'kanariya' music video...and those ended up being the ones that have stuck with me the most (some of them I still get stuck on)

so yeah shows with subtitles (in japanese writing) are good

schalke81

Postby schalke81 » 2005-03-01, 8:01

"KANA MADE EASY" is a really popular text to study the two syllabaries. MOst people have no problems with either hiragana or katakana after going through it in one weekend....it basically uses pictures and drawign to aid learning the individual "letter" if that is what they are called...and it doesnt come more highly recommended.

Varislintu not logged in

Postby Varislintu not logged in » 2005-03-01, 9:54

I downloaded a program (free) from the web, that teaches both kana and some kanji, by first simple memorizing lessons, and the quizes, that slowly use more and more complex combinations. I found this to be very helpful for learning how to read kana, although writing is another matter completely.

I'm not at my homecomputer now, though, so I can't post a link (I don't even remember the program's name). If no-one else knows it, I'll get back to this on Thursday, ok?

Sido

Postby Sido » 2005-03-01, 13:09

I downloaded a program (free) from the web, that teaches both kana and some kanji, by first simple memorizing lessons, and the quizes, that slowly use more and more complex combinations. I found this to be very helpful for learning how to read kana, although writing is another matter completely.

That maybe the Slime Forest from he LRNJ Project
http://lrnj.com/

I gave it a try recently. Unfortunately it starts with the Katakana while I had started by Hiragana, so I didn't insist; Also only the beginning is free, and apparently you have to pay to get the full content.

Worth looking at anyway.
Dépêchons nous d'en rire avant que d'en pleurer!

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2005-03-01, 21:55

FSidoroff wrote:Worth looking at anyway.

Indeed.

I had the same 'problem' as you; the program began with katakana whereas I had just started learning hiragana. But when I 'solved' that, it was a fun program to work with...

...up until the point where you suddenly have to know kanji without a hint, and then you're basically stuck.

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

magyar chunsa

Postby magyar chunsa » 2005-03-02, 3:49

what helped me to remember them all (as well as the order they are in: a-ka-sa-ta-na-ha-ma-ya-ra-wa) was to just write them over and over and over.
the same w/ kanji, just write them dozens of times and eventually you just remember them.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2005-03-04, 14:32

FSidoroff wrote:

That maybe the Slime Forest from he LRNJ Project
http://lrnj.com/

I gave it a try recently. Unfortunately it starts with the Katakana while I had started by Hiragana, so I didn't insist; Also only the beginning is free, and apparently you have to pay to get the full content.

Worth looking at anyway.

Nope, the program I have is called JapAlfa. In it you can choose your own order of learning. Here's the description from the readme file:

This package was designed to help English, Spanish, and French people to
learn easily many japanese ideograms. This is a shareware version. It contains
100 lessons about:

* 100 hiragana and 100 katakana syllables
* 822 kanjis
* 14,000 Japanese words

Each lesson is followed by a test, where you have to choose a correct
answer by clicking in a set of possible answers.
The results are illustrated with a bar chart, and a percentage of success.
A notebook shows what you have learnt and what remains to be learn.
A special screen lets you find a kanji by one or more keys.
The window is resizable, the colors and the font files can changed.
A Japanese font file is included. There is no need to have an oriental
configuration of your computer.

I didn't find a link for it yet, let me look some more (or go ahead and google yourself :wink: )...
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2005-03-04, 14:36

Well here it is, the creator's homepage's JapAlfa section. There should be a link for downloading on it somewhere...

http://members.aol.com/JapAlpha/private/japa10.htm
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Sido

Postby Sido » 2005-03-07, 7:44

Varislintu wrote:Well here it is, the creator's homepage's JapAlfa section. There should be a link for downloading on it somewhere...

http://members.aol.com/JapAlpha/private/japa10.htm

Thanks
I downloaded it, it looks nice

Commonwealth

Postby Commonwealth » 2005-03-13, 7:37

Also, you could try Knuckles in China Land.
http://www.tbns.net/knuckles

From the site:
"Knuckles in China Land is an RPG designed to make certain aspects of Japanese language-learning a bit more enjoyable.

Gameplay is similar to traditional console RPGs, with the exception of the battles. In these battles enemies take on the form of Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji or Japanese vocabulary."

It is a Learn Japanese RPG (a Learn Japanese Game possessing the genre of RPG), just like the LRNJ thing that FSidoroff mentioned - but Knuckles is completely free. I started playing the Kana/Kanji mode and it's quite neat.

Here's a comparison between the two games:
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/viewto ... =chinaland

That's at the China Land forum. LRNJ doesn't have a forum anymore AFAIK.

Commonwealth

Postby Commonwealth » 2005-03-13, 7:42

Sorry, the correct URL for Knuckles in China Land is:
http://www.tbns.net/knuckles/

(The other URL will arrive at an "Access Denied" page)

Sido

Postby Sido » 2005-03-14, 10:40

Thanks to Commonwealth,
Another way which I find useful is to start from some simple japanese text (for instance, the first lessons of a japanese course, in France I use the one from Karine Widmer's nice site
http://www.escale-japon.com/accueil.php )
and write its romaji counterpart.
It may help to recognize words as a whole and then to memorize the correspondings kanas from part of usual words

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2005-03-17, 16:09

Getting a wee bit of topic here, but:

I think that "Knuckles" is indeed an improvement over the LRNJ Project, because in Knuckles you also learn the readings of each kanji character. However, the battles usually take too long and, even more annoyingly, happen way too often.

IMO, anyway. :)

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

Commonwealth

Postby Commonwealth » 2005-04-05, 13:58

I have to agree with you Axystos. Battles happened much too frequently for my liking.

The new version solves that problem and allows you to disable battle animations apparently, and a few other things too from what I'm reading of the updates page now. I'll test it out and get back to you.

Qcumber

learning kanas

Postby Qcumber » 2005-05-04, 13:24

Davisma wrote :
"I'm using the book "Japanese for Busy People: Kana Workbook"."

I don't know this book, but the title is ominous. It's like "French in a hurry" or other such gimmicks.
Everybody knows that it takes a long time to learn a foreign language, Japanese in particular.

I learnt the kanas by writing words in kana, and learning them by heart.

Perhaps series of words that differ by one kana could help, e.g. sakaba "barroom", sakana "fish", sakari "acme", sakate "tip".

Conjugating a verb is a good exercice, too, e.g. kaki mashita, katta, etc.

So go back to the book store, buy a book that has exercices of this type.

Incidentally the kana that has the highest rate of recurrence is "no".

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”