「MOTHER2」を始めた (translation exercises)

Nick_O

「MOTHER2」を始めた (translation exercises)

Postby Nick_O » 2011-09-16, 23:02

Hello, or rather 始めまして.

Quick, one sentence version of the next two paragraphs: I am going to post phrases from a game I am playing along with my own translations, and I would very much appreciate any and all feedback.

I am pretty much a beginner to Japanese, but I have some language-learning experience from my Latin studies. To aid my learning, and also because I just wanted to, I decided to play Mother 2 (EarthBound in the US) with the aid of a dictionary.

Since I don't have a teacher to speak with, I thought that I should post phrases from the game and my attempts at their translation here for the community to offer constructive criticism. Don't worry, I am slow at playing games (I only give them about two-three hours a week, if any at all), and I am so early in learning that translating phrases takes a very long time, so I will not be flooding this thread with hundreds of phrases per post.

Now, for the first batch:
(note: I will include a fairly literal translation for each phrase so that you can tell me whether I am looking at something wrong)

(or should it be 一目?)
Context: A meteor has just fallen in the middle of the night, waking everyone up.
「おにいちゃんも  いまのおとで  めが  さめちゃったの? こわかったねー。」
Literal translation: Did the now's sound also* wake big brother's eyes? Was scary, huh?
Natural translation: Did that sound just now wake you up, too? That was pretty scary**, wasn't it?

*Should be "too" for the literal version, but I can't find a place for it. I also realize that the it means "by means of the sound", but I couldn't find a way to make that work even in the literal English translation.
**My dictionary (a rather lousy one, but the only one at my bookstore) says that 「こわい」 means "scared" rather than "scary", but I have found no evidence of this anywhere else. Is there any truth at all to that assertion?

Context: I have left my game on for a long time while I was running some errands. My in-game dad is calling to tell me that I should take a break.
「だいぶ  ながいじかん  ぼうけんを  つずけているようだね。」
Literal translation: Seem to be continuing the adventure for quite a long time, huh?
Natural translation: You've been adventuring for quite a while now, haven't you?

Context: Same as above.
「おせっかいかもしれないが  ちょっと  きゅうけいしては  どうだ?」
Literal translation: Perhaps a busybody, but what about a little doing a break?
Natural translation: I might sound like a busybody, but how about taking a little break?

Context: I responded 「いいえ」.
「ま  ちきゅうの  ききだからな。」
Translation: I can't really parse this. It's something like "Ah, so the world crisis comes first", but I don't understand exactly how 「ま」 can connect to 「ちきゅう」 without a 「の」 or something like that.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: *sigh*... Mene incepto desistere victum? Quippe vetor fatis! I'll find someone to correct my work as I progress through the game.

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”