I'm new here and I'm lost

Dr.Faust

I'm new here and I'm lost

Postby Dr.Faust » 2011-08-18, 3:43

Hi guys I'm Dr.Faust(John) I'm an African American who wants to learn Japanese. I listen to a lot of Japanese music and I want to know how to speak the languish. I found this site and its cool but I'm lost on were to start. Which alphabetic to learn first, which books to get, and so on. I can offer English lessons and help through webcam but I'm no pro. Any advice for me.

hashi

Re: I'm new here and I'm lost

Postby hashi » 2011-08-18, 4:36

Dr.Faust wrote:Hi guys I'm Dr.Faust(John) I'm an African American who wants to learn Japanese. I listen to a lot of Japanese music and I want to know how to speak the languish. I found this site and its cool but I'm lost on were to start. Which alphabetic to learn first, which books to get, and so on. I can offer English lessons and help through webcam but I'm no pro. Any advice for me.

Sure. With Japanese I would highly recommend following a prescribed course - either online if you can find decent lessons, or from a book. As for recommending a book, I can't be of much assistance there, as I was taught in a formal classroom setting without a textbook as such. However, from what I hear, either Japanese for Busy People or Genki will give you good introductions to the language.

Which writing system to learn first? Definitely Hiragana. Katakana is not as vitally important in the early stages, and anything you can't write in Kanji (Chinese-esque logographic characters) can just be written in Hiragana (syllabary).

Welcome to the forum too, and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2011-08-18, 5:10

You can't go wrong with the Genki textbooks. Genki 1 as a starter book and Genki 2 for upper elementary.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-08-18, 14:53

Kasuya wrote:You can't go wrong with the Genki textbooks. Genki 1 as a starter book and Genki 2 for upper elementary.

+1

They might over load you with the kana at first, but other then that they're great textbooks. And it's a great excuse to learn the kana quickly. :wink:

Dr.Faust

Postby Dr.Faust » 2011-09-03, 5:39

thanks

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”