Japanese in MSN

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Japanese in MSN

Postby Reinder » 2011-06-29, 22:44

みなさん こんにちは!

I can't see Japanese in my MSN, I'm not sure if anybody here can help me out, but I wanted to try and ask. When I write or see Japanese it's just white, I can't see any characters either, nor copy and paste from Google translator, not even the blocks. My friends are able to see them, but for me it's white, even when they copy my text and past it. Typing Japanese in MSN used to work before, but it doesn't anymore. I can't even see Kanji, but I can type Chinese and Korean in MSN, so it seems the Japanese input is failing. I can't find anything on the internet, too. Please help me out!
I'm using Japanese input IME Standard.
I tried reinstalling MSN and MSN Plus, but it didn't work...
I can see my Japanese characters everywhere but in MSN, I'm hating this, lol.

事前に感謝。
Image Image Image | Image Image | Image

md0

Re: Japanese in MSN

Postby md0 » 2011-06-29, 22:49

You are on Windows, right?
The MSN client is probably not Unicode-enabled, so you will need to select Japanese as a language for non-Unicode programs from your Control Panel.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)
For fun: Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-06-29, 23:23

meidei wrote:You are on Windows, right?
The MSN client is probably not Unicode-enabled, so you will need to select Japanese as a language for non-Unicode programs from your Control Panel.

Wow, didn't expect it to be so easy. You're really great, thank you very much!
Should I leave it on Japanese now? Wow, this is really great, thank you so much!

md0

Postby md0 » 2011-06-29, 23:34

Glad it worked. It was more of a guess, really.
You should keep it set in Japanese, unless you use other non-Unicode apps that won't work properly after this change.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)Elementary Finnish (fi)

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-06-29, 23:39

meidei wrote:Glad it worked. It was more of a guess, really.
You should keep it set in Japanese, unless you use other non-Unicode apps that won't work properly after this change.

I just installed Adobe Reader, because I still wanted to do that, but letters became unreadable. Would the Japanese characters only work with that put on Japanese? This kind of looks silly:

md0

Postby md0 » 2011-06-30, 0:04

It's a limitation of the non-Unicode apps (only one character encoding at time), although this seems like a font issue. If you set that option to Dutch, does it fix the Adobe Installer issue?
Unfortunately I don't know much about Windows and I don't have a Windows machine around to check the settings. I hope some other user will know more.

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-06-30, 0:17

meidei wrote:It's a limitation of the non-Unicode apps (only one character encoding at time), although this seems like a font issue. If you set that option to Dutch, does it fix the Adobe Installer issue?
Unfortunately I don't know much about Windows and I don't have a Windows machine around to check the settings. I hope some other user will know more.

When I put it back on Dutch it does fix the Adobe Installer issue, but unfortunately after that my Japanese characters in MSN aren't working again...

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”