I have these symbols, what do they mean?

meistrenton

I have these symbols, what do they mean?

Postby meistrenton » 2011-05-16, 0:17

i bought this plaque at a yard sale because i liked the eagle on it and want to know what the symbols mean. any takers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Śrāmaṇera

Re: I have these symbols, what do they mean?

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-05-17, 14:17

OK, let's say it's my guess...

噴煙賞 : literally "spitting out smoke prize"

合同忌大会 1973 : "big meeting/gathering to commemorate somebody's death?" I'm not exactly sure about the meaning of the character 忌 here. It can also mean, when pronounced as "i(mu)" something taboo, forbidden...

川柳噴煙吟社 : the first two characters are "senryuu", a Japanese type of short sarcastic/cynical piece of poetry. Then again "fun'en" (spitting out smoke). "gin" (吟) means something like "to sing out loud" and the very last character could be both a shinto shrine or any kind of association where this kind of poetry contest would be held. I can't really figure it out without knowing the context.

To summarize a bit : it seems to be a sign used for some kind of big senryuu tournament. "Spitting out smoke" must be a metaphore for "senryuu" (to spit sarcastic/cynical words out loud).

The character on the second picture has to be the name of this bird, but I can't find it. I thought it was a phoenix first (凰) but apparently it's not.

Hope it helps.

meistrenton

Re: I have these symbols, what do they mean?

Postby meistrenton » 2011-05-21, 18:01

Thanks, that's better then anything I could have found

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”