翻訳の要請 (Translation Requests)

md0
Re: 翻訳の要請 (Translation Requests)

Postby md0 » 2010-09-07, 15:17

Kasuya wrote:
meidei wrote:I need a little help here, I am not sure if i am understanding the following sentence correctly
『源氏物語』を当時の発音で朗読されても、現代の日本人は、そのほとんどの方が、日本語とさえ思わないと思います。

"If you read Genji Monogatari with the pronunciation of the time it was written, a nowadays Japanese person ... won't even understand it is Japanese".
What does the "そのほとんどの方が" part means? Does it add anything important or the meaning is overly the same?

I believe it means "most of those people" (most modern Japanese people, 方 being pronounced kata). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I see. I kept reading it is as "hou" and it made no sense. Thanks for the explanation.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Hao Ran

Postby Hao Ran » 2010-12-20, 13:55

今晩は!So I'm not entirely sure where this goes because there are quite a few Japanese threads, but since it's me attempting to write stuff I assume the translation thread is the way to go. I've been revisiting the bits and pieces of Japanese I picked up over the years and am now trying to put everything together by composing sentences of a more complex nature. Unfortunately, I'm terribly uncertain over whether some things I have written are correct or just plain, downright wrong. So here goes.

1. Having read Breaking Into Japanese Literature's excerpts from 夢十夜 by 夏目漱石, I was in the mood for something Gothic and decided to try to say, in Japanese, "The thunderous sound of the wind resounded from the depths of the darkness of the night. My heartbeat quickened on its own accord." (it's slightly convoluted because I tend to begin from a ... Chinese point-of-view when it comes to formulating stuff in Japanese). I came up with:

夜の暗黒の奥から風の轟音が響いて、身の毛が弥立つ。心臓の鼓動は勝手に早める。

I'm not very sure if my particles are right, or if the verbs have even been used correctly or not.

2. In a bout for something softer, I next wanted to express, "I certainly did not believe him but there was nothing else I could do and I could only rely on him."

確かに信じないけど、何もできなくて、ただ彼を頼る。

I'm not very sure if できなくて makes grammatical sense, if ただ is correct, or if を goes with 頼る.

3. Earlier this week, I was trying to think of something nice to vandalise my guitar with. Because it's white, it's named Lennon, and I love hippie ideas, I decided to say something hippie. Hence, I decided to try to say, "In the world of music there is no ugliness."

音楽の世界には、醜悪がないんだ。

I am not sure if I am permitted to combine に and は in such a manner, or if I have criminally screwed up by using -んだ instead of the normal ending (somehow, I thought it sounded more ... like it, whatever that means).

All help appreciated! ありがとう、皆さん~

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2010-12-20, 14:16

Take it as a few suggestions only, because my Japanese is probably not better than yours...

Hao Ran wrote:夜の暗黒の奥から風の轟音が響いて、身の毛が弥立つ。心臓の鼓動は勝手に早める。

夜陰から風の轟音が鳴り響いて、(part missing in the English version?)。心臓の鼓動は勝手に速くなった

夜陰 よかげ : the heart of darkness
鳴り響く : to echo, to reverberate the sound (since you said "resounded" in English, I suppose it can be used to make it more insistant)
速くなった : "became faster", "quickened"

Hao Ran wrote:確かに信じないけど、何もできなくて、ただ彼を頼る。

確かに信じなかったけど、何もできなくて、頼りになる人が彼しかいなかった。

信じなかった : accomplished aspect
頼りになる人が彼しかいなかった : dunno why but it sounds cooler to me :)

Hao Ran wrote:音楽の世界には、醜悪がないんだ。

音楽界には醜悪がないんだ。

音楽界 : I think it exists...

Naever

Postby Naever » 2011-01-20, 23:59

Hi, could someone give me a hand with this line?

あーなんか二人で買い物とかなんとか...

I think it's something like "those two went shopping", by the context, but i'm confused by many things here. It would help a lot!
Native: [flag]pt-br[/flag] / Fluent(ish): [flag]en-us[/flag]
TAC 2011: [flag]jp[/flag]
Please, correct aaaany mistakes!~

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-01-21, 0:06

Naever wrote:Hi, could someone give me a hand with this line?

あーなんか二人で買い物とかなんとか...

I think it's something like "those two went shopping", by the context, but i'm confused by many things here. It would help a lot!

"Ahh, we like, went shopping together and stuff" is the best I can come up with. Hopefully you understand the connotations used in the English translation too...
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Naever

Postby Naever » 2011-01-21, 0:15

hashi wrote:

あーなんか二人で買い物とかなんとか...

"Ahh, we like, went shopping together and stuff" is the best I can come up with. Hopefully you understand the connotations used in the English translation too...

Yes, thank you! I'm sure he's talking about two other people here, but it did help. Thanks again =)
Native: [flag]pt-br[/flag] / Fluent(ish): [flag]en-us[/flag]
TAC 2011: [flag]jp[/flag]
Please, correct aaaany mistakes!~

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-01-21, 0:28

Naever wrote:
hashi wrote:

あーなんか二人で買い物とかなんとか...

Yes, thank you! I'm sure he's talking about two other people here, but it did help. Thanks again =)

Ah yeah, the "we" could easily be "those two" as well. There was no subject specified, but I probably should have read your original post properly ;)
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Tonic

Postby Tonic » 2011-02-02, 13:44

Hi!

I need your help to translate this very short audio message from Skype, I would really appreciate it so much. I have recorded it and posted it here, you don't have to download it, just press play: http://calypsoblues.typepad.com/blog/20 ... 3%A9s.html

If it helps to understand, this is the context: my brother is in japan, he configured skype so all calls to his skype account should be redirected to his mobile. He bought some skype credit and all. So... perhaps he didn't set up rigth this redirection service?

Thank you very much in advance for you help!
Please correct my mistakes.

Tonic

Postby Tonic » 2011-02-02, 18:05

Oh, and that message is what I get when I try to call him

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-02-02, 19:50

It's 6am and I just got back to my hostel after getting completely wasted in a bar called "The Happy cock" with two American guys. So I'll listen to it tomorrow... good night... :|

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-02-03, 6:14

OK ! Just listened... It says : "お客様のおかけになりました電話番号は、現在使われておりません。  番号を確かめの上、もう一度おかけ直しください。"

= "The number you have dialled is currently not in service. After making sure you are dialling the right number, please try another time".

Tonic

Postby Tonic » 2011-02-03, 20:15

All right! Thank you very much, Nejimakidori, I can't say it has been useful, haha, because I still don't see what's the problem with my brother's mobile, but thanks! I will tell him what the japanese voice says.

Hope you have totally recovered from that night in the Happy Cock :D

Cheers!

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-02-04, 0:42

Good luck with the phone call :) You should try Skype maybe

JossiH

Postby JossiH » 2011-02-08, 20:12

Hey guys!
Wondering if someone could translate 汚れてしまえば誰もが一緒さ for me?
It's from a song, and translations i've found say it means "everyone's the same once they sin", is this true? Can you say that it means just that? :)
I was thinking of having it as a tattoo, so it's kind of important for me to get it right ;)

Also, I meant to write it vertically, running along the anterior forearm so I was thinking about the line near the end, do I do that vertically or horisontally? :?
Odd question maybe, but being the rookie I am... :roll:

Thanks in advance!

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-02-09, 3:45

汚れて  can be read as "yogorete" (getting dirty) or "kegarete" (losing its purity, act sinfully), depending on what you mean. I suppose here you mean the second one.

So :

汚れてしまえば (kegarete shimaeba) : if (you) ever act sinfully

誰もが (daremo ga) : everyone/no one

一緒さ (isshosa) : the same

So the whole sentence would mean approximately something like that :

"If you happen to sin, (don't worry because anyway) everybody sins".

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-02-24, 10:57

Sorry, do you know the meaning of it?

ユーラシアの風が招いた、
アミルの結婚。

It's a really nicely illustrated comic.

But how would someone interpret it?

Eurasian wind welcomes
Marriage of Amira.

That doesn't make sense.
If they would add に
アミルの結婚にユーラシアの風が招いた
That would make more sense to me.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2011-02-27, 2:56

I'm not sure the word order has a real importance here :hmm: Both sentences look practically identical to me (as for their meaning), but I might be wrong.

"maneku" can also have the meaning of "to beckon to". I see it as if the wind was "welcoming" her marriage with a warm and friendly gesture :?:

No, seriously, no idea. Maybe there is nothing to be read between the lines. It only says what it says.

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-02-28, 16:09

Thanks for help anyway.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2011-03-01, 13:17

モモンガ wrote:Sorry, do you know the meaning of it?

ユーラシアの風が招いた、
アミルの結婚。

When I first read the sentence I took it to mean "アミル's wedding, brought about by the winds of Eurasia". But the more times I read it the less sure I am...

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-06-17, 21:07

hm, Japanese can be ambigious.
I am reading Harry Potter and found out a word
許されざるを呪い
he he.
why they did put object particle in the middle.

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”