Language Course 1

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2005-09-16, 9:53

Thanks Gon-no-suke! Also for the link you provided.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

Skurai

Postby Skurai » 2005-10-11, 14:17

Sweet lessons Daniel, I have noticed that your lessons usually are good.
I heard on the zbb that you were going to continue these lessons, Is that true?
cy | gv

Rounin

Postby Rounin » 2006-06-01, 0:39

I try to make sure to learn to differentiate the individual components of each character by sound and meaning: The radical, the sound part, and all the components that make it up. That way, one can make up little mnemonics to remember how to write it, or if one's really lucky, the sound part will rhyme with or otherwise resemble the reading of the character as a whole.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2006-06-01, 5:07

IkimashoZ wrote:
Gon-no-suke wrote:Sorry for the long rant. To finish of I'd like to recommend A Japanese guide to Japanese grammar to any beginners out there. I teaches Japanese grammar in a much more logical (and useful) order than any books I have read, so give it a try.

That website is amazing. The links it contains are invaluable. She missed popjisyo though. I was disappointed by that one. I will definitely be using ALC though.

But I can't see the Kanji characters, and I can't figure out how to pronounce them :(

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2006-06-01, 6:42

Rounin wrote:I try to make sure to learn to differentiate the individual components of each character by sound and meaning: The radical, the sound part, and all the components that make it up. That way, one can make up little mnemonics to remember how to write it,

There's a book using that approach. I'll have to check the title and author (I think it's something like "an easy guid to remembering Japanese characters" or so), but it explains how the characters are composed and proposes little mnemonic phrases to remember them.
Je défendrai mes opinions jusqu'à ma mort, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez défendre les vôtres. - Voltaire

Rounin

Postby Rounin » 2006-12-18, 11:11

It might be "Remembering the Kanji", which seems to be quite well-known.

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2006-12-18, 11:33

I checked it: it's called "A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters". Author is Kenneth Henshall.
Je défendrai mes opinions jusqu'à ma mort, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez défendre les vôtres. - Voltaire

浦飯経妄荷

Postby 浦飯経妄荷 » 2007-01-17, 17:45

Rounin wrote:It might be "Remembering the Kanji", which seems to be quite well-known.

I have the first book of that. It really works. :D

Why does everyone always insist on teaching in roumaji? :(

Nero

Postby Nero » 2007-01-19, 1:52

浦飯経妄荷 wrote:
Rounin wrote:It might be "Remembering the Kanji", which seems to be quite well-known.

それらはひらがなと漢字を憎む。。。
(私はひらがながすきです、そして、ローマ字を憎む)

浦飯経妄荷

Postby 浦飯経妄荷 » 2007-01-19, 15:29

Nero wrote:
浦飯経妄荷 wrote:

それらはひらがなと漢字を憎む。。。

何?I don't understand much grammar yet.

Nero

Postby Nero » 2007-01-20, 16:46

浦飯経妄荷 wrote:
Nero wrote:
浦飯経妄荷 wrote:

それらはひらがなと漢字を憎む。。。

I just said they don't like hiragana and Kanji, but I love them and hate Roumaji 8)

浦飯経妄荷

Postby 浦飯経妄荷 » 2007-01-21, 5:17

Nero wrote:
浦飯経妄荷 wrote:
Nero wrote:
浦飯経妄荷 wrote:

それらはひらがなと漢字を憎む。。。

I just said they don't like hiragana and Kanji, but I love them and hate Roumaji 8)

僕も。 :D

Kubi

Postby Kubi » 2007-01-22, 8:05

浦飯経妄荷 wrote:
Nero wrote:
浦飯経妄荷 wrote:

それらはひらがなと漢字を憎む。。。

Translation: "Those people don't like hiragana and kanji. (I like hiragana, and hate rōmaji)

pilipala

Postby pilipala » 2007-04-10, 17:11

Hi, I'm from Japan living in the US. I'm learning Welsh. I've just jumped in so I haven't read the entire posts here. I can at least say that the above Japanese sounds like a product of an automatic translator.

I don't know how to go about the first sentense. The second one could be:

私はひらがなは好きですが、ローマ字はきらいです。

Kokoro

Postby Kokoro » 2007-04-26, 16:02

浦飯経妄荷 wrote:Why does everyone always insist on teaching in roumaji? :(

I don't know, maybe they think it's easier, but I personally find it more difficult to learn Japanese through romaji. I find it helps with pronunciation more when one learns it through hiragana, but at the same time it also helps you to learn and remember the kanas.

Aequus

Postby Aequus » 2007-06-08, 9:56

pilipala wrote:I can at least say that the above Japanese sounds like a product of an automatic translator.

はい、ここは日本語も外人語もあります。 :lol: その方は「(あの)人々は平仮名と漢字が好きじゃない」と言いたかったかもしれません。

But as far as romaji system is concerned, I would like to say that not "everyone" insists on teaching in romaji. Particularly it refers to Russian students/teachers, though romaji is becoming rather popular in our country, for some reason. Actually, as to transcription, our kiriji suites much better than romaji for Russians. Hapbern standard romaji awfully damages the pronunciation of students: they read Hapbern "sh" as "ш" though this Russian sound is nothing in common with either Japanese し and English "sh", "z" as "з" while actually it is affricated ("dz") et cetera. That's why most of the teachers of Japanese in Russia are maliciously against romaji.
But while learning kana at the preliminary course, however, it's better to use transcription in order not to create additional difficulties. When kana has been learnt, of course, it's time to leave all the romaji and kiriji forever. Our students' books were made according to this plan. 「今日は、日本語」, preliminary, was all done in kiriji, and the next one, 「みんなの日本語、初級一」 has only furigana as transcription. I think, it's quite wise and effective.

Maikeru

Postby Maikeru » 2007-06-25, 0:31

*yawn* I just wanted to put in my opinion since I'm not going to actually use this forum to learn Japanese. I have my independent studies to do that.

Romaji = the Devil. It only takes 3 days to learn hiragana and katakana. Learning Japanese in romaji is just ruining one's ability to read ACTUAL Japanese. Do you know how much romaji I saw in Japan? I saw a message on a bus. /shrug

If someone can't yet read hiragana and katakana... then they shouldn't be learning about Japanese grammar. You learn the alphabet before you learn a language, no matter what the language. Japanese is no different.

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2007-08-26, 13:07

Very true.

At least the hiragana and katakana should be mastered before you start studying Japanese.

And having a list of all the kanji you meet on your way through books and websites is an interesting way to start remembering them (image, pronounciations and meanings)

polishboy

Re: Language Course 1

Postby polishboy » 2009-02-02, 23:11

Daniel wrote:Hello! After having asked a few people here whether they are interested in learning or just having a bite of the Japanese language, I've decided to start my lessons here.

---------------

JAPANESE LESSON ONE

Word order

The basic Japanese word order differs from that of English in which case it is SOV (Subject-Object-Verb).

Watashi wa cha o nomimasu.
私は茶を飲みます。
I drink tea.

In Japanese, wa は and o を are what linguists call particles. Particles are little words that tell you the role of the preceding word. Here wa は comes after the word watashi 私 and o を after cha 茶 . Wa は tells you that watashi 私 is the subject while o を lets you know that cha 茶 is the object. The subject does something to the object. Conversely, the object is the recipient of an action (usually a verb). Look at the English sentence below:

Example 1a:
I drink tea.

The bold, italicised word in 1a is the subject.

Example 1b:
I drink tea.

The bold, italicised word in 1b is the object.

Nomimasu 飲みます is a verb so it comes last.

Vocabulary:

anata あなた - you
kōhī コーヒー - coffee
neko 猫 - cat
mimasu 見ます - see, look, watch
inu 犬 - dog
kare 彼 - he
kēki ケーキ - cake
tabemasu 食べます - eat
hon 本 - book
kaimasu 買います - buy
otoko no hito 男の人 - man
onna no hito 女の人 - woman
gakusei 学生 - student
yomimasu 読みます - read
konpyūta コンピュータ - computer

EXERCISE 1: Translate these sentences below into Japanese:

1. You drink coffee.
2. The dog sees the cat.
3. The woman eats the cake.
4. He buys the computer.
5. The student reads the book.

Unlike many European languages, the Japanese verb does not tell you who is doing the action by its ending so the subject is needed. Frequently, however, the subject can be dropped when understood what or who is being talked about.

Hon o yomimasu. 本を読みます。
Neko o kaimasu. 猫を買います。
Nihongo o hanashimasu. 日本語を話します。[Japanese o speak]

---

Daniel

Should be コンピューター!
hehe
This is one of the mistakes even Japanese make, but I read on wikipedia, that this is incorrect.

ILuvEire

Re: Language Course 1

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-02-03, 2:59

Really?? I've been saying it and writing it wrong all this time!
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Return to “Japanese (日本語)”