Of all the languages in the world...

Why did you choose to learn Romanian?

My family is of Romanian origin
7%
My (possible) spouse speaks it
6%
I (will) work in Romania
1%
I want to go to holiday in Romania and just want a basic knowledge of the language
2%
Romania simply fascinates me
21%
I am fond of Romance languages
18%
I learn foreign languages for fun and Romanian happened to be one of them
30%
I need it at school
1%
Other
12%

Total votes: 148

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2006-12-15, 1:05

You're definitely not alone, Fili!! :yiihi: I love Latin and its daughters. But I wouldn't go as far as to say, like I remember you once did, I'd never learn a language of another branch, hehe. That doesn't apply to me at all (although I am somewhat Europe-focussed). :D I wonder, would you consider whatever is left of Oscian and Umbrian? :wink:

(Why haven't you posted here before by the way? I've never really seen you in the Italian or Latin forum either :hmm:)
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2006-12-15, 22:38

Vă înţeleg. Şi eu vreau să învăţ limba română. :)

Je vous comprends. Moi aussi je veux apprendre le roumain. :)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

DrLindenbrock

Postby DrLindenbrock » 2007-03-16, 1:41

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 00:35 Post subject:

Hi! So, let me go through the possible options:

My family is of Romanian origin -- No
My (possible) spouse speaks it -- I'd better ignore this one... :)
I (will) work in Romania -- Probably not
I want to go to holiday in Romania and just want a basic knowledge of the language -- I would like to go to Romania, although I would like to live there a few months, not just a week. Ad for "basic knowledge", I don't like the idea...I want the best possible level! :)
Romania simply fascinates me -- In a way!
I am fond of Romance languages -- Well, it's true that since I speak some of them, it's interesting in learning more and seeing how they complete and integrate themselves.
I learn foreign languages for fun and Romanian happened to be one of them -- This is definitely true! 8) I'm going to vote for this option, although I must say that Romanian didn't just happen to be one of them! It was on the list for a long time, and now I am finally being more consistent.
I need it at school -- No no

0stsee

Romanian MarK

Postby 0stsee » 2007-12-10, 15:39

What I haven't told you guys:

Romanian is the first Romance language I seriously learned.

Ten years ago I was in Tokyo, and I found "Teach Yourself Romanian". I'd been learning with it since, until I lost the book. :cry:

One of my relatives was in Bucureshti, and she gave me a Romanian Bible, which I regularly read.

I've stopped learning Romanian long ago, but somehow I can still understand much when I read Romanian. Although I have to admit that I never really had a very large vocabulary, and I never really had the opportunity to practice it. Now it's a bit different, because I got to know some Romanians here, who offered me help. :)
Ini tandatanganku.

Dinko1704986

Postby Dinko1704986 » 2008-04-10, 1:24

Hello everybody, I'm very happy to have found this forum, seems like it's just what I was looking for, and much more!

Too bad there is only one choice to make in the poll, because there are several options I could go for. First of all, I am very fond of Romance languages, and after French and Italian, I wanted to learn a similar, yet different language, which is what I found in Romanian, in its Balkans-influenced structure and Slavic-heavy vocabulary. Second, I'm fascinated by Romania and its culture, or cultures should I say...I find its music, folklore, customs, literature (both oral and written !), etc. really fascinating. Third, it's simply a wonderful language - does that need more explanation ? :)

D39

Postby D39 » 2008-04-11, 18:34

Dinko1704986 wrote:Hello everybody, I'm very happy to have found this forum, seems like it's just what I was looking for, and much more!

Too bad there is only one choice to make in the poll, because there are several options I could go for. First of all, I am very fond of Romance languages, and after French and Italian, I wanted to learn a similar, yet different language, which is what I found in Romanian, in its Balkans-influenced structure and Slavic-heavy vocabulary. Second, I'm fascinated by Romania and its culture, or cultures should I say...I find its music, folklore, customs, literature (both oral and written !), etc. really fascinating. Third, it's simply a wonderful language - does that need more explanation ? :)

Hvala lepo, brate! :D Dobrodosao u nasu forumu! ;)

Dinko1704986

Postby Dinko1704986 » 2008-04-13, 12:41

D39 wrote:

Mulţumesc mai mult :D

Aşadar, pot să t-întreb pe tine dacă am nişte întrebări :) ?

(did I write this correctly ?)

D39

Postby D39 » 2008-04-18, 17:41

Dinko1704986 wrote:
D39 wrote:

Mulţumesc mai mult :D

Aşadar, pot să te-[s]î[/s]ntreb pe tine dacă am nişte întrebări :) ?

(did I write this correctly ?)

Da... Si mai bine zici ''Eu multumesc'' ;)

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-06-20, 15:09

D39 Vorbeşti şi sîrbeşte?

cacha71

Re: Of all the languages in the world...

Postby cacha71 » 2008-11-17, 14:53

Hi! I actually started learning it because I like to listen to music from different parts of the world and at some point I heard some music in Romanian, which I loved, and immediately wanted to know what the lyrics were about, and bought myself a dictionary. I realised that in order to really understand it I would have to learn some grammar too, so I also bought a Teach Yourself book. Unfortunately, although the Teach Yourself book came with audio material, I was still having some difficulty in speaking it, so I started looking around for native speakers to help me. I am lucky enough to have found some very friendly Romanians who are willing to help me learn and have been most patient with me, because in the beginning I felt pretty hopeless, now I'm glad to say that I have made some progress with it. :)

I have never visited Romania, but having learned the language to the point of being able to converse in it a bit, I'm really keen to visit Romania, it would be the culmination of my learning experience, but I would like to stay with a family there or with friends as opposed to a holiday package in order to really experience life in this country.
:newbie:

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-11-17, 17:30

Welcome cacha71 . I'm sure you'll get the help you need

0stsee

Bahasa Romania

Postby 0stsee » 2008-11-27, 6:11

Yeah, :welcome: cacha71!

I just met a Romanian friend of mine today. She spoke only in Bahasa Romania to me tonight and I understood like 90% :whoo:
I responded mostly in Bahasa Jèrman though. :oops:
Ini tandatanganku.

cacha71

Re: Bahasa Romania

Postby cacha71 » 2008-11-28, 19:18

0stsee wrote:Yeah, :welcome: cacha71!

I just met a Romanian friend of mine today. She spoke only in Bahasa Romania to me tonight and I understood like 90% :whoo:
I responded mostly in Bahasa Jèrman though. :oops:

Thanks! 90%! you seem to have made really good progress, well done! :D I think I'm up to about 80%, depending on the speaker, and certainly the last 20% is the hardest part!

Could you explain what is meant by "Bahasa Romania" and "Bahasa Jerman" ? :?

Riks

Re: Bahasa Romania

Postby Riks » 2008-12-04, 9:58

cacha71 wrote:Could you explain what is meant by "Bahasa Romania" and "Bahasa Jerman" ? :?
Am navigat pe internet şi am aflat, că "Bahasa Jerman" înseamnă "limba germana". Aşa prezum că "Bahasa Romana" ar însemna "limba româna".

I browsed the internet and I found that "Bahasa Jerman" is in Indonesian, and it means "German language". So I suppose, "Bahasa Romana" could mean "Romanian language".
Fluent: Slovak, Czech, English
Intermediate: German, Romanian
Basics: Hungarian, French, Swedish

riks@jabbim.sk

cacha71

Postby cacha71 » 2008-12-04, 13:21

Mulţumesc, am înţeles că Ostsee a vorbit cu cineva în română, însă nu am ştiut ce înseamnă cuvintele "bahasa" şi "jerman" şi am crezut că este vorba despre dialecte. Acum mi-e clar! Totuşi mi se pare cuidat că a scris asta în limba indoneziană şi nu în limba engleză sau română.

Thanks, I understood that Ostsee had spoken to someone in Romanian, but I didn't know what the words "bahasa" and "Jerman" meant and I thought it was about dialects. Now it's obvious to me! However, it seems strange that he/she wrote this in Indonesian and not in English or Romanian.

0stsee

Îmi pare räu

Postby 0stsee » 2008-12-16, 1:15

Oh. I'm really sorry for confusing you, Cacha.

I just like to randomly use "Bahasa ..." because many foreigners call "limba indonezianä" simply "bahasa". Many say "So you speak bahasa." which is like saying "Atunci tu vorbeshti limbä.".
Everybody speaks a bahasa.

Btw, I understood all of what you wrote in Bahasa Romania in your last post! :D
Ini tandatanganku.

Tsukin

Postby Tsukin » 2009-03-16, 19:54

It simply interests me, it's beautiful, and it reminds me of Latin.
You don't know what you got until it's gone.

Gina

Postby Gina » 2010-08-08, 19:55

I think it's a very beautiful language. I've only just started to learn it very recently, I can't understand or speak it properly yet (though there were are few phrases I could decipher in this thread, and I was really happy that I've learned something at least :D ), hopefully soon I will be much better at it. I just love the sounds, I keep saying things like "Bucureşti" to myself for fun, the "sh" sound is so amazing (I have favourite letters in most languages, ş is my favourite Romanian letter). I love languages with lots of accented letters, they always look so interesting and exotic.

My family think learning Romanian is a bit pointless :( . I disagree, if I want to learn it I will do so, and then I will be able to communicate with Romanians, so that's not pointless.
Native: [flag]en[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag]es[/flag][flag]ro[/flag]
Beginner: [flag]el[/flag]
http://languageblogbygina.wordpress.com/

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2010-08-11, 22:25

Gina wrote:My family think learning Romanian is a bit pointless :( . I disagree, if I want to learn it I will do so, and then I will be able to communicate with Romanians, so that's not pointless.

If you can speak a bit of Romanian ,I can help you in conversation(I also need some help with English),but my accent is a bit weird in Romanian :lol:

Gina

Postby Gina » 2010-09-06, 20:20

AndreiB wrote:
Gina wrote:My family think learning Romanian is a bit pointless :( . I disagree, if I want to learn it I will do so, and then I will be able to communicate with Romanians, so that's not pointless.

If you can speak a bit of Romanian ,I can help you in conversation(I also need some help with English),but my accent is a bit weird in Romanian :lol:

Thanks :) Though my level in Romanian is not very high yet, I would like to talk to you in Romanian when I can speak it better.
Native: [flag]en[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag]es[/flag][flag]ro[/flag]
Beginner: [flag]el[/flag]
http://languageblogbygina.wordpress.com/

Return to “Romanian (Română)”