Romanian monolingual dictionaries

mrsmac

Romanian monolingual dictionaries

Postby mrsmac » 2012-02-13, 14:50

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a Romanian monolingual dictionary as part of a research project. Does anyone have any recommendations they could pass on? Ideally in print form and with as much content as possible. What would you use yourself or recommend to others?

Many thanks in advance.

AdiJapan

Re: Romanian monolingual dictionaries

Postby AdiJapan » 2012-02-13, 16:19

mrsmac wrote:I'm looking for a Romanian monolingual dictionary as part of a research project. Does anyone have any recommendations they could pass on? Ideally in print form and with as much content as possible. What would you use yourself or recommend to others?

I'm not sure why you'd think a printed version would be preferable. Here is the best known and most accessed Romanian online dictionary:

http://dexonline.ro/

It is a digitized version (scanned, OCR'ed and processed) of several Romanian monolingual dictionaries, most of them very recent, but also a couple of older ones. It is fully searchable. The same database is used by many other websites, but this is the website of the project that actually built the database and keeps expanding it.

If you prefer a printed dictionary, I recommend the most recent version of DEX (Dicționarul explicativ al limbii române). If I remember correctly, the most recent means 2009. I'm not sure if you can buy one online from abroad (I don't see why you couldn't, although a very quick Google search only gave me a seller that sends it domestically), but if you are in Romania you can find it in pretty much any bookstore, even in supermarkets.

The http://dexonline.ro/ website contains the full version of DEX (hence the name), although not the most recent edition, but the 1998 one. Changes are not dramatic though.
[flag]ro[/flag] maternă  [flag]us[/flag] pretty well  [flag]fr[/flag] pas mal  [flag]ja[/flag] 順調

mrsmac

Re: Romanian monolingual dictionaries

Postby mrsmac » 2012-02-13, 16:40

This is really helpful; thank you.

Return to “Romanian (Română)”