ioansuhov
Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ioansuhov » 2018-04-09, 11:59

Saim wrote:Mulțumesc! :D

Cu plăcere! :D

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 11:39

Some time ago I talked to a native of Romanian, and this person reminded me of the fact that there really is some Slavonic influence found in this language.

So if someone was able to spend some of his Daily Total Language Learning Time on Slavonic languages for the purpose of both advancing with them and advancing with Romanian, too, how exactly could he do that?

What exactly would he be learning about any of Polish/Czech/Russian/Bulgarian, and what parts of those languages would he postpone or even entirely omit for now?
this is a reboot

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-10, 15:55

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:there really is some Slavonic influence found in this language.

The main influence is vocabulary. You can learn Slovio if you want to advance in Slavic vocabulary without having to pay attention to the grammar.

The Romanian grammar was affected by the grammar of the Balkan Sprachbund, so it shares features with Serbian and Bulgarian, but it's not common for all Slavic languages.

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 16:16

voron wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:there really is some Slavonic influence found in this language.

The main influence is vocabulary. You can learn Slovio if you want to advance in Slavic vocabulary without having to pay attention to the grammar.
Wasn' aware of that conlang. While I don't really feel like learning it, I possibly will learn something about it, this also could help.

The Romanian grammar was affected by the grammar of the Balkan Sprachbund, so it shares features with Serbian and Bulgarian, but it's not common for all Slavic languages.
Even the grammar was affected, too? That is an interesting discovery, because while I already knew that it isn't entirely similar, speaking of grammar, to Spanish and Italian, I didn't expect something like this. :D
this is a reboot

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-10, 16:30

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:Even the grammar was affected, too?

Yes, sure. Don't you know the joke that Bulgarian is essentially Romanian with words replaced (and there's a grain of truth in every joke)? Read up on the Balkan Sprachbund on Wikipedia.

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 17:35

voron wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:Even the grammar was affected, too?

Yes, sure. Don't you know the joke that Bulgarian is essentially Romanian with words replaced (and there's a grain of truth in every joke)? Read up on the Balkan Sprachbund on Wikipedia.

Never heard of that joke before.
But adding reading about the Balkan Sprachbund to my reading queue.
this is a reboot

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-12, 9:31

"Nu, nu-i înţeleg aşa de bine."

If a Romanian native says "aşa de bine" here, does he usually mean "I don't understand them so well, but at least I have got an approximate idea of what they are talking about"? Or does he rather mean: "I don't understand them at all", but preferring not to be that direct?

"O porţie de cartofi prăjiţi cu ketchup."

This isn't a full sentence, speaking of its words. However, it sometimes still can convey the same message as a full one. Not every language is the same when it comes to Half Sentence Communication. As for Romanian, is it something that is done very often, or is it rarely done?

"Nu fiţi prost!"

For those who also know other Slavonic languages: Is that word (prost) being widely understood in many countries? Because I do know that it doesn't only exist in Romanian, but what I don't know is, for example, if it is considered rather slang-y or not.
this is a reboot

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2019-02-06, 11:13

Hi there :)

I'm following romanian classes at work but although the teacher is nice, she doesn't seem to have a real teaching method so I am also using RomanianPod101 to get it faster ^^

I got a bit confused with one of the lesson:

- Cum se scrie...?

- Puteţi să scrieţi, vă rog?

So, it's stated that "A scrie" is the infinitive of "to write", but they also say that "să scrieţi" is the infinitive of "to write down". That's where I am confused because the second one looks more like a conjugated verb, although if I take it that the structure would be similar to French, it would make sense to be infinitive.
Thanks for any correction :)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-02-06, 11:52

Lutrinae wrote:So, it's stated that "A scrie" is the infinitive of "to write", but they also say that "să scrieţi" is the infinitive of "to write down". That's where I am confused because the second one looks more like a conjugated verb, although if I take it that the structure would be similar to French, it would make sense to be infinitive.

The scrie of your first sentence is also a conjugated form, it's the equivalent of reflexive passive constructions in other Romance languages (Portuguese - como se escreve?). It just happens to share the same form as the infinitive.

Romanian often uses conjugated verbs where non-Balkan Romance languages prefer the infinitive.

This is an areal feature of some of the languages of Southeastern Europe, in Serbian we use a similar construction:

Da li možete da napišete ... ?
[Interrogative] can you that you write down ... ?

Možete and napišete are both second person plural present tense conjugations.

Wikipedia has more examples from languages of the region:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_sp ... infinitive

Now, a more proficient user of Romanian will have to comment on when it is natural to use the infinitive... "puteţi scrie" gives 182k Google hits, so maybe it's more a difference of register (formal/informal) than of grammaticality.

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:For those who also know other Slavonic languages: Is that word (prost) being widely understood in many countries? Because I do know that it doesn't only exist in Romanian, but what I don't know is, for example, if it is considered rather slang-y or not.

In Serbian it's used quite a lot, and it's not slang. That said, it doesn't really have the same meaning as in Romanian: the default meaning is simple, and when you're talking negatively about people it's more like vulgar/crude (prostački) than stupid.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-11-30, 15:53

Yess!!! I just got my copy of Harry Potter şi prizonierul din Azkaban!! :partyhat: :mrgreen: :partyhat: :mrgreen:
And guess what I have a copy of the same book in Italian!
So I can read the Romanian version and look up for any word I don't understand in Italian (or French or English) :mrgreen:
Isn't that fucking geeky great? :silly:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-01, 1:45

Te invidiez.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-01, 12:08

Într-adevăr? Cu Harry Potter? :lol:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2019-12-01, 12:40

Lectură plăcută! Spune-ne mai târziu cum a mers. :)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-01, 12:46

france-eesti wrote:Într-adevăr? Cu Harry Potter? :lol:

Being able to read any book, that's what I envy of you.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-12-01, 15:16

@Osias: Hey I haven't read it yet - just started to flip through it and compare it with the Italian version :D but it's very interesting!

@Saim: Vă mulțumim!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-01-01, 2:29

Hey all (if anyone still frequents this board), I recently started taking Romanian on Duolingo. I've never studied Romanian before, except maybe the alphabet. Anyway, I have a pronunciation question. I actually posted about it on my TAC, so I'll quote it here:

dEhiN wrote:I'm also trying to figure out whether the <e> being pronounced as /ie/ only applies word initially, or any vowel digraph starting with <e>. For example, the Duo audio seems to pronounce eu as /ieu/ and ea as /iea/, which is also what the tips for Basics mentioned. But, the Duo audio also seems to pronounce bea as /biea/, or well, rather, it sounds more like /bja/ with a very quick /j/. So, I'm not sure then if all conjugated forms of a bea should have the <ea> pronounced as /ja/, /iea/ or just /ea/.

It's hard to follow the Duolingo Romanian audio, I find, and I'm also concerned it's not completely accurate. Any help is greatly appreciated! Mulțumesc!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Return to “Romanian (Română)”