ioansuhov

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ioansuhov » 2018-04-09, 11:59

Saim wrote:Mulțumesc! :D

Cu plăcere! :D

SomehowGeekyPolyglot

Postby SomehowGeekyPolyglot » 2018-11-10, 11:39

Some time ago I talked to a native of Romanian, and this person reminded me of the fact that there really is some Slavonic influence found in this language.

So if someone was able to spend some of his Daily Total Language Learning Time on Slavonic languages for the purpose of both advancing with them and advancing with Romanian, too, how exactly could he do that?

What exactly would he be learning about any of Polish/Czech/Russian/Bulgarian, and what parts of those languages would he postpone or even entirely omit for now?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-10, 15:55

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:there really is some Slavonic influence found in this language.

The main influence is vocabulary. You can learn Slovio if you want to advance in Slavic vocabulary without having to pay attention to the grammar.

The Romanian grammar was affected by the grammar of the Balkan Sprachbund, so it shares features with Serbian and Bulgarian, but it's not common for all Slavic languages.

SomehowGeekyPolyglot

Postby SomehowGeekyPolyglot » 2018-11-10, 16:16

voron wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:there really is some Slavonic influence found in this language.

The main influence is vocabulary. You can learn Slovio if you want to advance in Slavic vocabulary without having to pay attention to the grammar.
Wasn' aware of that conlang. While I don't really feel like learning it, I possibly will learn something about it, this also could help.

The Romanian grammar was affected by the grammar of the Balkan Sprachbund, so it shares features with Serbian and Bulgarian, but it's not common for all Slavic languages.
Even the grammar was affected, too? That is an interesting discovery, because while I already knew that it isn't entirely similar, speaking of grammar, to Spanish and Italian, I didn't expect something like this. :D

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-10, 16:30

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:Even the grammar was affected, too?

Yes, sure. Don't you know the joke that Bulgarian is essentially Romanian with words replaced (and there's a grain of truth in every joke)? Read up on the Balkan Sprachbund on Wikipedia.

SomehowGeekyPolyglot

Postby SomehowGeekyPolyglot » 2018-11-10, 17:35

voron wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:Even the grammar was affected, too?

Yes, sure. Don't you know the joke that Bulgarian is essentially Romanian with words replaced (and there's a grain of truth in every joke)? Read up on the Balkan Sprachbund on Wikipedia.

Never heard of that joke before.
But adding reading about the Balkan Sprachbund to my reading queue.

SomehowGeekyPolyglot

Postby SomehowGeekyPolyglot » 2018-11-12, 9:31

"Nu, nu-i înţeleg aşa de bine."

If a Romanian native says "aşa de bine" here, does he usually mean "I don't understand them so well, but at least I have got an approximate idea of what they are talking about"? Or does he rather mean: "I don't understand them at all", but preferring not to be that direct?

"O porţie de cartofi prăjiţi cu ketchup."

This isn't a full sentence, speaking of its words. However, it sometimes still can convey the same message as a full one. Not every language is the same when it comes to Half Sentence Communication. As for Romanian, is it something that is done very often, or is it rarely done?

"Nu fiţi prost!"

For those who also know other Slavonic languages: Is that word (prost) being widely understood in many countries? Because I do know that it doesn't only exist in Romanian, but what I don't know is, for example, if it is considered rather slang-y or not.

Return to “Romanian (Română)”