Romanian Discussion Group

JaxJones
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-05-03, 10:51
Real Name: JJ
Gender: male
Country: RO Romania (România)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby JaxJones » 2016-05-06, 6:50

Aix wrote:
Levike wrote:If you stick with /e̯a/ and /o̯a/ you're going to be absolutely fine.

Just go with this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Romanian :wink:

PS: One word where you always say /ja/ is the personal pronoun "ea" (she), but that's because of etymological reasons.

Thank you for your quick reply! Should I take your answer to mean that /e̯a/ and /o̯a/ is how they are pronounced and that Wiktionary is wrong, or that variation exists but that I shouldn't bother with it?


When I pronounce words with oa I usually pronounce them like ua.
For example...oarbă sounds like uarbă. Or the word coaie sounds very much like cuaie.
IF anything I would stop analyzing/relying on IPA and reading and start to listen. What material are you using to practice your listening/pronunciation skills?

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby Levike » 2016-05-06, 8:01

JaxJones wrote:When I pronounce words with oa I usually pronounce them like ua.

I'm guessing that's not really standard...

In my opinion, it's better to go with the standard while being aware of the differences there might be.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

JaxJones
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-05-03, 10:51
Real Name: JJ
Gender: male
Country: RO Romania (România)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby JaxJones » 2016-05-06, 12:03

Levike wrote:
JaxJones wrote:When I pronounce words with oa I usually pronounce them like ua.

I'm guessing that's not really standard...

In my opinion, it's better to go with the standard while being aware of the differences there might be.


The standard is sometimes utopic.
Speaking of "oa", I don't really hear the 'o' actually being pronounced as 'o' in this diftong, the sound ranges somewhere between an 'o' and much more towards a 'u'. On the other hand, here in Transylvania at least there are plenty of people that will pronounce it like the Hungarian 'a' (the aw sound).

Coaie becomes Cawye.
Soare becomes Sawre.

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby Levike » 2016-05-06, 12:12

JaxJones wrote:The standard is sometimes utopic.

Compared to other languages Romanian is still more unitary, differences being more in pronunciation and some words here and there.

If he goes with the standard described by IPA, that's a sure road, because pronouncing soare with oa as a diphthong between o and a would sound equally okay for everyone.

On the other hand, here in Transylvania at least there are plenty of people that will pronounce it like the Hungarian 'a' (the aw sound).

To me the way Romanians pronounce this Hungarian 'a' sounds more like something closer to 'o'.
Not 'o', but something close.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

JaxJones
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-05-03, 10:51
Real Name: JJ
Gender: male
Country: RO Romania (România)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby JaxJones » 2016-05-06, 12:57

Levike wrote:
JaxJones wrote:The standard is sometimes utopic.

Compared to other languages Romanian is still more unitary, differences being more in pronunciation and some words here and there.

If he goes with the standard described by IPA, that's a sure road, because pronouncing soare with oa as a diphthong between o and a would sound equally okay for everyone.

On the other hand, here in Transylvania at least there are plenty of people that will pronounce it like the Hungarian 'a' (the aw sound).

To me the way Romanians pronounce this Hungarian 'a' sounds more like something closer to 'o'.
Not 'o', but something close.


Now I really want to hear the OP sound off these diftongs after our conversation :P
Is it even possible to attach mp3/wav files here?

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby Levike » 2016-05-06, 13:22

JaxJones wrote:Is it even possible to attach mp3/wav files here?

You record your voice on any site and then just post a link here.

This is one people around here seem to use: http://vocaroo.com/
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

ebonykawai
Posts: 1
Joined: 2016-08-25, 14:18
Real Name: Lisa Walter
Gender: female

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ebonykawai » 2016-08-25, 14:24

Buna! On the first page of this thread is the following info:

"A full Romanian grammar in English (183 pages!) is available as a .pdf file at the following address:

http://seelrc.org/grammars/pdf/stand_alone_romanian.pdf"

It's not there anymore, does anyone know where the pdf grammar has gone? Thank you!

Xarxos
Posts: 2
Joined: 2016-09-20, 21:40
Country: SE Sweden (Sverige)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby Xarxos » 2016-09-20, 22:58

ebonykawai wrote:Buna! On the first page of this thread is the following info:

"A full Romanian grammar in English (183 pages!) is available as a .pdf file at the following address:

http://seelrc.org/grammars/pdf/stand_alone_romanian.pdf"

It's not there anymore, does anyone know where the pdf grammar has gone? Thank you!


I don't know if it's the same, but this is a pretty good Romanian grammar PDF in English: http://www.seelrc.org:8080/grammar/pdf/ ... manian.pdf
Fluencies: [flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag]

Currently learning: [flag=]ro[/flag] [flag=]smi[/flag]

Basic knowledge in: [flag=]es[/flag]

הענט

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby הענט » 2018-02-25, 11:26

Hello. I wanted to translate something into Romanian.

Do not unplug! - nu scoateţi fișa! (Electrică)

Is it correct? Mulţumesc.

ioansuhov

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ioansuhov » 2018-02-25, 11:36

Hent wrote:Hello. I wanted to translate something into Romanian.

Do not unplug! - nu scoateţi fișa! (Electrică)

Is it correct? Mulţumesc.


Hi,
The translation seems to be more than odd to me..
If you wish to translate "Do not unplug!", you should go for "Nu deconectați!" ( Do not disconnect) or probably the better: "Nu scoateți din priză!" (Literally "Don't remove the device from the socket").

The expression "fișa electrică" is only used in very technical debates. I am quite sure that most of the people wouldn't understand the meaning of it. A synonym of it would be "Stecker" (also written in its Romanian adapted form "ștecher"), but as far as you need to translate "Do not unplug" the first 2 expressions should be more than enough ("Nu deconectați!" or "Nu scoateți din priză!" )

הענט

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby הענט » 2018-02-25, 11:45

Thanks. I wanted them not to unplug the plug from the socket and use the "Întrerupător automat" instead.

ioansuhov

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ioansuhov » 2018-02-25, 11:49

Hent wrote:Thanks. I wanted them not to unplug the plug from the socket and use the "Întrerupător automat" instead.

You're welcome!
In this case you might also use: "A nu se scoate din priză. Folosiți întrerupătorul automat!".

It's an imperative expressed using the infinitive which is quite the usual manner in which we write this kind of warnings.

הענט

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby הענט » 2018-02-27, 6:06

Just a few moments ago I had my second Romanian conversation.

I said: De unde ești? He replied: Severin.

Then I wanted to say I was born here and failed.

M'am nascut din ... *pointing at the floor*
After that I said : nu vorbesc românește and he didnt understand. I said English, Deutsch, Italiano , Français and suddenly he shouted: Ah romenește!! Vorbes romaneste.

So I have two questions.

1. What dialect is the Standard Romanian based on?
2. And how different is the Wallachian dialect from the others?

ioansuhov

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ioansuhov » 2018-02-27, 7:13

הענט wrote:Just a few moments ago I had my second Romanian conversation.

I said: De unde ești? He replied: Severin.

Then I wanted to say I was born here and failed.

M'am nascut din ... *pointing at the floor*
After that I said : nu vorbesc românește and he didnt understand. I said English, Deutsch, Italiano , Français and suddenly he shouted: Ah romenește!! Vorbes romaneste.

So I have two questions.

1. What dialect is the Standard Romanian based on?
2. And how different is the Wallachian dialect from the others?


Hi,
Don't worry too much :).
In general, although there might be some differences concerning the accent and the prononciation between the dialects from different regions (and some regional words, too), you should not have any problem making yourself understood by any Romanian speaker.
Maybe it was just a reaction of surprise of a person who had thought that you were a native Romanian speaker :D.
Also, pay attention at "m-am născut în / la" (not "din"), even if you can say "vin din" (I come from...).
Unfortunately, I cannot give you a more precise answer to your questions although I have Romanian as my native language :)) and had studied it at school.
There are differences, it si true, but there are not as significant as other languages have.
In short:
1. The standard Romanian is the one spoken at TV (although TV stations in Moldova, Transylvania etc. might chose to use the regional accent) and in Wallachia. This is a very problematic generalisation as there are not any grammatical differences and the lexical changes from region to region are more likely to be seen as minor cultural shifts (nothing radical)..
2. Same grammar, same majority of words and the most common prononciation standard.

הענט

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby הענט » 2018-02-27, 13:56

Okay. Thanks.

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 4947
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: Novi Sad
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby Saim » 2018-04-09, 10:07

I'm going through an Anki shared deck for Romanian and one of the sentences was "he has money". I expected are bani, but the answer was e în bani. Is this a common construction in Romanian?

ioansuhov

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ioansuhov » 2018-04-09, 10:22

Saim wrote:I'm going through an Anki shared deck for Romanian and one of the sentences was "he has money". I expected are bani, but the answer was e în bani. Is this a common construction in Romanian?

Hi,
From my point of view "are bani" is the normal structure that I use to render the meaning of "he has money" (in general).
"E în bani" although incorporating the information that a certain person has some money, adds a specific variation: "A primit salariul, e în bani" ("He has just received his salary, he's full of cash").
It emphasizes the fact that something good (from a financial point of view) happened changing (usually for a limited period of time: until the next salary etc) the financial status of that individual.
Finally, I shall mention that "e în bani" is an informal expression (used between friends or family) while "are bani" is more neutral.

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 4947
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: Novi Sad
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby Saim » 2018-04-09, 10:58

ioansuhov wrote:
Saim wrote:I'm going through an Anki shared deck for Romanian and one of the sentences was "he has money". I expected are bani, but the answer was e în bani. Is this a common construction in Romanian?

Hi,
From my point of view "are bani" is the normal structure that I use to render the meaning of "he has money" (in general).

Can the construction be used with other nouns or is it a fixed expression with bani only?

ioansuhov

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby ioansuhov » 2018-04-09, 11:08

Saim wrote:
ioansuhov wrote:
Saim wrote:I'm going through an Anki shared deck for Romanian and one of the sentences was "he has money". I expected are bani, but the answer was e în bani. Is this a common construction in Romanian?

Hi,
From my point of view "are bani" is the normal structure that I use to render the meaning of "he has money" (in general).

Can the construction be used with other nouns or is it a fixed expression with bani only?


I think that this is a fixed expression, however similar structures exist with "a fi + substantiv" ("to be + noun"): "e în plină tinerețe" ("he is truly in his youth").
Due to its oral usage, "e în bani" keeps quite a specific meaning and although similar grammatical structures exist, I can't think (or find) a semantically rule.

User avatar
Saim
Posts: 4947
Joined: 2011-01-22, 5:44
Location: Novi Sad
Country: RS Serbia (Србија)

Re: Romanian Discussion Group

Postby Saim » 2018-04-09, 11:35

Mulțumesc! :D


Return to “Romanian (Română)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest