Good resources for a beginner?

Gina

Good resources for a beginner?

Postby Gina » 2010-08-12, 11:48

Salut,

I am currently searching Amazon for some books to help me learn Romanian. I have £30 to spend so the more expensive ones are out, and a lot of the books I've looked at have had some fairly terrible reviews. I think I'll just buy a lot of books so there's a higher chance that at least 1 of them will be good. Could any of you help by recommending some books for me? A dictionary would be helpful as well (though if I can't find a good affordable one I can use an online one).

Mulţumesc!

(PS: Why is the language sometimes called Română and sometimes called Româneşte? :? )
Native: [flag]en[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag]es[/flag][flag]ro[/flag]
Beginner: [flag]el[/flag]
http://languageblogbygina.wordpress.com/

Lietmotiv

Re: Good resources for a beginner?

Postby Lietmotiv » 2010-08-15, 19:26

Româneşte is the adverb : a vorbi Româneşte . Spune-mi româneşte=tell me in Romanian.
Română is the language itself.

I don't know any resources except for this one : dexonlie.ro that I use ,and it's pretty ok.

Gina

Postby Gina » 2010-08-15, 19:37

AndreiB wrote:Româneşte is the adverb : a vorbi Româneşte . Spune-mi româneşte=tell me in Romanian.
Română is the language itself.

I don't know any resources except for this one : dexonlie.ro that I use ,and it's pretty ok.

Mulţumesc :)

So shouldn't the title of this forum be Română?

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2010-08-15, 19:45

Gina wrote:

Maybe it should ,but that's the administrator's business. However,even this way it's good,because it means ''in Romanian''.

Gina

Postby Gina » 2010-08-15, 20:07

AndreiB wrote:
Gina wrote:

Maybe it should ,but that's the administrator's business. However,even this way it's good,because it means ''in Romanian''.

Yeah.

I have been reading some of the posts in this forum, and I already understand a lot more than I thought I could :) I thought I was making really slow progress, but I must be better than I thought because a month ago there's no way I would have been able to understand even the basic idea of what was being said.

Dar nu pot să vorbesc foarte bine (that's one of the very few sentences I can say, I don't even know if it's correct, it's supposed to say "But I can't speak very well").

:)

Riptide

Postby Riptide » 2010-08-17, 13:09

I remember one of my Romanian friends telling me that you should always use românește after a verb. It's just the way the language works...I think. As for books, I really haven't used any books and I've done pretty well with learning the language. There are many good sites that can really help you out if you would like that. Also, talking to an actual Romanian person really helps because you will find out stuff you probably won't find in the books. Anyhow, if you want to know any books, someone told me that Colloquial Romanian is pretty good. But look inside the book first before you get it to see if you think it's the one you like. Also, your sentence is correct as far as I know, except for the fact that it's not a real sentence starting with the word "but". :P
Unilang Language Codes
Skype chats (ask to be added):
Austronesian Languages, Romance Languages, and Main UL
Main Languages of focus: Costa Rican Spanish (es-cr) Spanish, Tagalog (tl) Tagalog, Malagasy (mg) Malagasy
Other Languages: Cebuano (ceb) Cebuano, Romanian (ro) Romanian

nickbewley

Postby nickbewley » 2012-06-22, 8:55

Unfortunately, you're not going to find too many useful books on the matter, because the pronunciation is quite different to English, and it's probably the most important part of the language, as with any language. If you want to learn Romanian, I suggest you find some Romanian chap and try to speak to him about it.

Nick Bewley

Return to “Romanian (Română)”