Travelling between Hungary and Romania

Levo

Travelling between Hungary and Romania

Postby Levo » 2008-10-04, 22:25

Hi all!
I am planning to travel to Oradea from Szeged and arrive back to Hungary on the same day with some mates.
I have found one Hungarian bus-line from Szeged which goes to Oradea on Mondays, but comes back only on Tuesdays :S But I can't sleep there.
Since I don't speak (maybe understand a little) Romanian would someone be so kind and look up for me on a Romanian page when do buses come from Oradea to Szeged? And if you find a Romanian bus-line from Szeged to Oradea and informed me about the prices also that would be very good too.
The other variation is that I go by train to Hungarian Nagylak, then cross the border somehow and catch the train in Romanian Nadlac (since the railway isn't connected between the two) and go by train to Oradea. I just had to know how trains go from Nadlac to Oradea and back (on the same day).
Would you be so kind and look it up for me? Thank you a lot! Mulţumesc and La revedere!

Levo

Re: Travelling between Hungary and Romania

Postby Levo » 2008-10-09, 9:47

Now I know why nobody answered.
I did my trip yesterday from Szeged to ARAD. Oradea is Nagyvárad, not Arad, I didn't know you use the same name for Arad...

So I had this one-day trip to Arad and back, it was really fun :D
And Romania developed indeed a lot since I was there last time in 2002. People are friendly and I was surprised that some older people also speak English.
Hey, and if you know anyone from Severin working in Italy for a year, please tell me. We came home by autostop from Nagylak to Szeged and he and his mate were so kind and communicative and guess what? It was so dark at the back-seats that I thought I picked my own baseball-hat into my backpack and I picked his :( I discovered it at home in the morning, and of course my own baseball-hat is also in the backpack. I have stolen his fine baseball-hat and it embarrasses me so much :? :o I cannot even look at it.
Despite of that it was a good trip, go go Romania!

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-10-09, 14:25

Sorry I haven't answered your post I haven't been in the country lately; I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Romania; I'm not from that part of the country; however,you may be surprised if you travel to Oradea(Arad has a smaller Hungarian population) that many people speak/understand Hungarian,even many Romanians from that part of the country are able to speak Hungarian

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-09, 18:10

AndreiB wrote:Sorry I haven't answered your post I haven't been in the country lately; I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Romania; I'm not from that part of the country; however,you may be surprised if you travel to Oradea(Arad has a smaller Hungarian population) that many people speak/understand Hungarian,even many Romanians from that part of the country are able to speak Hungarian

Nice, in Arad we entered a restaurant and the waitress started talking to us in Hungarian before we said anything :D
By the way we were stared all the time, everyone recognized we were foreigners, though personally I had 100% cheap Chinese clothes on me, despite of my shoes, and my friend wasn't any better clothed than me, only that I had a rucksack on my back, but my coat was also quite low-quality, and our appeareance are also not any unusual.

duko

Postby duko » 2008-10-10, 7:35

Maybe it was a Hungarian restaurant? Last time in Arad we went out to eat in a Hungarian restaurant - the name escapes me - and the food was delicious.
Or maybe you look Hungarian - sometimes you can tell by people's features where they're from.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-15, 17:47

I decided not to write about it, but since others had similar experiences I thought I should share it with you...
Now there was no problem that we were Hungarians, though people must have heard us speaking a lot, but we never felt a bad stare or anything like that. Six years ago when I was in Romania people still shouted after us in a self-evidently angry voice and we understood only "magyar".
I have spoken to some Hungarians I know who went to Arad by bike two days before me (they ride there each 6th October every year), a bigger group of 60 people and they said it was the very first year when people didn't booed and shouted to them, but they applaused instead.
It seems like racism mildened a lot in Romania. Good country :waytogo:

duko

Postby duko » 2008-10-16, 9:14

Well, maybe the people are learning to get over it. I got some abuse too for speaking Slovak (the usual "This is Elbonia we speak Elbonian here" crap), but not in recent times, and always:
- the abuser was probably drunk
- was evidently uneducated and
- thought we were speaking Hungarian :) - which tells a lot about someone who can't differentiate the two languages.

But this was in no way the rule, and you'll find that most people are OK. One problem you might have is that people hear you speak Hungarian but still expect you to be locals and speak to you in Romanian. Only near the border are Hungarian tourists or workers so frequent that people would think you are from Hungary.

What amazes me now is that in my childhood the world seemed to end in Nădlac (Nagylak), after the border was for most people a no-go. Now we pretty much live in the same country, people go to Hungary for a day for a picnic, or when searching for a good medic they'll try in Arad, then Timişoara, then Szeged., then Budapest and only in the end Bucharest which is further away :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-10-16, 16:00

In Bucharest there are no such problems,people are used to many foreigners living in the city; I often speak Russian with my Moldavian compatriots living in Romania because we don't like people to hear what we are talking about; I had't had any problem with speaking Russian,but still I have to tell my friend to avoid some bad words because some people in the subway or in the streets seem to understand what we are saying;
Talking about speaking Hungarian in Romania,there might uneducated people whohate Hungarians,but that happened mostly in the `90. Nowadays,at least in Bucharest,people are not interested in your conversation or in the language you speak; there is difficult to make someone in the subway or in a restaurant to look at you; everyone is busy with his own life

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-10-16, 20:37

AndreiB wrote:In Bucharest there are no such problems,people are used to many foreigners living in the city; I often speak Russian with my Moldavian compatriots living in Romania because we don't like people to hear what we are talking about; I had't had any problem with speaking Russian,but still I have to tell my friend to avoid some bad words because some people in the subway or in the streets seem to understand what we are saying;
Talking about speaking Hungarian in Romania,there might uneducated people whohate Hungarians,but that happened mostly in the `90. Nowadays,at least in Bucharest,people are not interested in your conversation or in the language you speak; there is difficult to make someone in the subway or in a restaurant to look at you; everyone is busy with his own life

Actually the story I told about from 2002 happened with us in Bucuresti :)

Return to “Romanian (Română)”