Is this Romanian?

KingHarvest
Is this Romanian?

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-06-23, 3:37

From the beginning of the French horror film Ils:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7EuTyzj0CQ

I'm not sure whether it's Romanian or French spoken with a Romanian accent. If it is Romanian, what (I assume means "what are you doing?" in Romanian) I hear the girl asking her mother is "ce fac?" [tʃɛ fatʃ], and I looked up the conjugation for a face, but according to the chart I saw it should be faci.

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-06-23, 5:04

It's Romanian and it the woman who speaks says

-Hello,yes ,Yes I took her back,I know ;You know what,I'll give her on the phone,to speak directly to her. It's your father,he wants to talk to you. Comme on,hurry,it's expensive.. Sanda?
- I'm busy,don't you see?
- take the phone
- He'd better call later
-Sanda take the phone otherwise I wear to you
- What,you're going to punish me?
-(telephone)Call us home,we'll get there in a half an hour
(the woman came out of the car)
- What are you doing?
- There was somebody on the road,I swear to you
- There's nobody on the road
And so on.
At the beginning of the movie there's written Snagov on the screen. Snagov is a rich village near Bucharest,where the city's top rich people live.

-

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-06-23, 7:36

So why is she saying "ce fac" instead of "ce faci"? Or am I just hearing her incorrectly?

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-06-23, 7:50

you hear it this way because of the Palatization phenomenon
Ce faci is spelled this way but the final 'i' is palatalized so it sounds like ce fach(tche fatch')'? And this happens in many cases,we call it short 'i',if you want it's the same sound like the Russian ь . In order not to make mistakes,I advise all the foreigners who learn Romanian not to pronounce the final 'i' because it isn't correct.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-06-23, 16:12

Thank you!

Balaur

Re:

Postby Balaur » 2008-08-16, 22:23

AndreiB wrote:In order not to make mistakes,I advise all the foreigners who learn Romanian not to pronounce the final 'i' because it isn't correct.

Unless it's at the end of an infinitive, or after some consonant clusters, such as in 'acri', and obviously if it's the only vowel in the word. It should actually become intuitive fairly quickly for new learners.

Dacă nu-i la sfârșitul unui infinitiv, sau după câteva grupuri de consoane, ca și în 'acri', și bineînțeles dacă-i singura vocală într-un cuvânt. Cred că ar deveni intuitiv destul de repede pentru învățători noi.
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

Return to “Romanian (Română)”