Intr-oalta, iesiera, moartea,Semanind,superi,Zimbitor?

frank56economicsman
Intr-oalta, iesiera, moartea,Semanind,superi,Zimbitor?

Postby frank56economicsman » 2007-06-12, 17:35

These are 6 words I could not find translation for in my 75,000 cuvinte dictsionar. [roman characters dont work on yahoo or unilang for some reason]
The words are int-oalta, iesiera, moartea, semanind,superi, zimbitor, If someone can help me with even just one, I will be greatfull.Frank or Franciso in spanish :)

duko

Postby duko » 2007-06-13, 10:44

int-oalta, iesiera, moartea, semanind,superi, zimbitor

Aah, the usual enemies, the spelling errors and the declinated words.

int-oalta correct is într-o altă
and it means "in some other"/"in another"
Example "in another life" = "într-o altă viaţă"

As you know, the Romanian word for "in" is "în". I suppose the older, longer form is "întru", which you'll encounter today mostly in historical or religious texts, but also in contractions like:
într-o, într-un.
It's awkward to say "în o" or "în un".

iesiera missspelling of "ieşirea" = "the exit"
("ieşire" = "exit")

moartea = "the death" ("moarte" = "death")

semanind current spelling "semănând" this is the gerund of the verb "a semăna". It has two meanings:
1) to sow (throw seeds on a field)
2) to resemble, in which case it's always used with the preposition "cu" = "with"
Example: "seamănă cu tata" = "he looks like his dad"
"Forma Italiei seamănă cu o cizmă"="Italys shape looks like a boot"
Edit: corrected both translations above

superi second person singular of "a supăra"="to make angry, to upset"
It can also be reflexive, i.e.
"De ce te superi?" = "Why are you getting upset?"

zimbitor current spelling "zâmbitor"="smiling"
Last edited by duko on 2007-06-13, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

frank56economicsman

thank you

Postby frank56economicsman » 2007-06-13, 11:28

Duko, sunt mai foarte recunoscator pentru ajuta.
What I want to say, I am very grateful for your help Duko. And its ok to laugh at what I type, I know I make my romanian friend laugh, and it comes with learing a new language. When I was learing English, I meant sheet metal but it sounded like that other word for poopooh metal. Wanting to keep this right respectable I won't spell it out.

I frequently run ito words I cant find. I see there are two problems, one words may have a modern form, and the form my friend uses. 2. I dont recognize the other form of the word. I found a free web site that boasts 200,000 words, but still couldn't find some words, though I did find more. Any hints of a more comprehensive dictionary and or website would be gladly appreciated. I don't think giving plugs for other companies is allowed here, so I know this has limitation. I have so many other words I can't find, I hope don't hog this website with word problems I could solve otherwise.. Anyway thanks again. Duko.
Caution even though I am english speaking, my grammar sucks, sucks, so beware.

frank56economicsman

thank you

What I want to say, I am very grateful for your help Duko. And its ok to laugh at what I type, I know I make my romanian friend laugh, and it comes with learing a new language. When I was learing English, I meant sheet metal but it sounded like that other word for poopooh metal. Wanting to keep this right respectable I won't spell it out.

I frequently run ito words I cant find. I see there are two problems, one words may have a modern form, and the form my friend uses. 2. I dont recognize the other form of the word. I found a free web site that boasts 200,000 words, but still couldn't find some words, though I did find more. Any hints of a more comprehensive dictionary and or website would be gladly appreciated. I don't think giving plugs for other companies is allowed here, so I know this has limitation. I have so many other words I can't find, I hope don't hog this website with word problems I could solve otherwise.. Anyway thanks again. Duko.

frank56economicsman

thank you

frank56economicsman

thank you

duko

Postby duko » 2007-06-13, 14:35

You're very welcome.
I use the dictionary at http://www.dictionare.com/, there must be some more resources listed on the Unilang front page.
It's quite ok. A problem translating words is usualy that you'll find the word in a text, and it's not a nominative noun or infinitive verb.
You had there "semanind" - new spelling "semănând", and maybe you won't find it in any dictionary in this form. You have to identify the termination "ând" as a gerund termination, deduct that it's a verb with the infinitive "a semăna", and the look it in a dictionary.
It can get worse, like "sun"="soare", but the plural is "sori". Here already the second letter is changed from the nominative singular that's listed in dictionaries, which makes the word really hard to find.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Romanian (Română)”