Teach yourself Finnish

Moderator: Naava

Egein

Teach yourself Finnish

Postby Egein » 2005-08-13, 22:46

I would like to have people's oppinion about the teach yourself series.

I have here the teachyourself irish and it is awful.
The grammar notes are everywhere and it is full of useless pictograms which annoy me.

I'm looking for the best finnish book.
Exept that one by Fred Karlson, I have it.

thanks.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

ZombiekE

Postby ZombiekE » 2005-08-13, 23:16

I had the same question, because I want to learn Finnish too and I need books and audio CDs or tapes to learn from scratch.

I have TY French and I hate it because I'm just retaking French and the course looks quite stupid. However, I enjoyed it when I got started with Swedish because I was completely new to the language (though I understand some people might not like it). Even though they are in the same series if they belong to different authors, TY Finnish might be worth.

So, is TY Finnish worth? Is there any other choice either in Spanish or English?
Mother tongue: Spanish/Castilian.
Learning: English, French, Chinese.
Got started but put on hold: German, Swedish, Esperanto.
Future: Portuguese (European), Finnish.

Drochfhuaimniú

Postby Drochfhuaimniú » 2005-08-13, 23:55

The grammar notes are everywhere and it is full of useless pictograms which annoy me.

See here.

Honestly I don't like Teach Yourself. I think it's geared more towards a "Read this for a few months before you go to a Gaeltacht and talk", not to really learn. It's much too small and not detailed enough. Also, while it teaches Caighdeán Oifigiúil, which is neutral to all dialects of Irish it's important to note that in everyday life nobody speaks in that, they all lean towards a dialect.

Go for something like Learning Irish, it has a really good "textbook" feel to it, not a cartoony manual feel like Teach Yourself.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-08-14, 1:10

Drochfhuaimniú wrote:
Honestly I don't like Teach Yourself. I think it's geared more towards a "Read this for a few months before you go to a Gaeltacht and talk", not to really learn. It's much too small and not detailed enough.

Unfortunately most materials available are at a beginner's level for languages other than the "major ones". Either that or they are all grammar-related with no slang or colloquial references. My Icelandic professor actually wrote our text books.

Pittsboy

Re: Teach yourself Finnish

Postby Pittsboy » 2005-08-15, 12:14

Egein wrote:I would like to have people's oppinion about the teach yourself series.

I'm looking for the best finnish book.
Exept that one by Fred Karlson, I have it.

thanks.

TY Finnish is absobloodlutely awful!
"It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge."
~~Enrico Fermi (1901 - 1954)~~

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-08-15, 12:17

português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de) español rioplatense (es-AR) français (fr) 日本語 (ja) (ko) 普通話 (zh-CN) ••• العربية (ar) български (bg) magyar (hu) italiano (it) lingua Latina (la) polski (pl) ภาษาไทย (th) Türkçe (tr) (vi)

Pips

Postby Pips » 2005-08-15, 16:48

I have both the earlier edition of TY Finnish and the more recent one published in the 1990s. I find them at opposite ends of the spectrum. The earlier one had a tonne of detailed grammatical explanations and enormous vocabulary lists (upwards of 200 words for each lesson). Not really concerned with actual communication (pity the poor person who went to Finland after learning from this book - "I don't know how to say 'hello', but I can conjugate verbs in the past passive potential!").

The more recent one is typical of the direction that the TY books have taken in the past decade or so - emphasis on dialogues, worthless vocab lists, minimal explanations of grammar. I find in these types of books the emphasis is put too much on communication, and they therefore lose out on the things that people like me might be interested in: nuts and bolts explanations of how the language puts sentences together - when the "vocab list" simply spouts back a line from the dialogue along with its English translation, without explaining how the sentence was formed, it doesn't really help much!

I don't have Colloquial Finnish, but in general I find the Colloquial series is even more guilty of this than TY.

That being said, I guess I tend to prefer the older style to the newer one - but in the case of TY Finnish, I think both editions are somewhat lacking.

Perhaps someday someone somewhere will come up with a new series of books for the lesser-taught languages that give the best of both worlds. A boy can only dream...
Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.

pierrick18

Postby pierrick18 » 2005-08-16, 0:13

Alright, there is a new Teach Yourself Finnish book, new this year. All you can do is try. I really like the Teach Yourself series as I am hardly about to shell out $80 + for a language series that teaches the same. Extremely good deal for Teach Yourself German and Italian, both of which I own. I have learned a lot from them no matter what anybody else says. In order to learn the most, do all of the written stuff in a notebook. Also, copy ALL of the dialogues and vocab, and even grammar in that book. You will learn it a lot faster. The Teach Yourself is excellent, BUT you must be self-disiplined enough to use it.

Egein

Postby Egein » 2005-08-16, 1:39

Well I bought the colloquial finnish book because i got to see the ty finnish and it is indeed awful
I hate how they put everything in bold
and full of little icones :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :arrow: :idea: :idea:

for no reason.

I dont really like that kind of grammars (i'm oldschool. paradigms, a couple of phrases and some explanation detailed, like the book by einar stefánsson, or is it stefán einarsson.)

But since i'm already good in finnish (although it doesn't show i understand alot), i'll use the book for pronounciation (because i keep puting the stress on the second syllable of a word with a double vowel in the second syllable, ex. vapaa, i say vapáá.) and earning vocabulary.

earning ..building up, what ever.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2005-08-16, 14:28

Papageno, qu'est-ce que tu penses de Le finnoins sans peine? Il s'agit du finnois parlé, pas du langage formal, n'est-ce pas?
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”