Test your snow vocabulary and learn new snow words

Moderator:Naava

Naava
Forum Administrator
Test your snow vocabulary and learn new snow words

Postby Naava » 2022-12-10, 10:33

Yle.fi on tehnyt suomen kielen lumisanastotestin, jolla voi nyt kokeilla, miten hyvin olet valmistautunut tähän talveen! :) (Mä itse taidan tarvita vielä lisätreeniä, kun sain vain 6/10 pistettä. Hups?)

Jos kaipaat vähän enemmän kertausta - kuten minä - ennen kuin olet valmis puhumaan lumesta, näistä kahdesta sivustosta voisi olla apua:
- Lumi sanoissamme
- Lumisanat
- Lumen sanakirja

Kuinka monta sanoista tunsit entuudestaan? :wink:

Yle.fi has made a test on snow vocabulary in Finnish. You can find it here if you want to see how well prepared you are for this winter! :) (I suppose I need to practise a little bit more since I got only 6/10 points. Oops?)

If you're like me and need some more studying before you're ready to talk about snow, these two sites could be helpful:
- Lumi sanoissamme
- Lumisanat
- Lumen sanakirja

How many of these words had you heard before? :wink:

//Edit: lisäsin uuden sivuston, jonka löysin äsken / I added a new site that I just found

Linguaphile

Re: Test your snow vocabulary and learn new snow words

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-12-10, 19:59

Naava wrote:Yle.fi on tehnyt suomen kielen lumisanastotestin, jolla voi nyt kokeilla, miten hyvin olet valmistautunut tähän talveen! :) (Mä itse taidan tarvita vielä lisätreeniä, kun sain vain 6/10 pistettä. Hups?)

Jos kaipaat vähän enemmän kertausta - kuten minä - ennen kuin olet valmis puhumaan lumesta, näistä kahdesta sivustosta voisi olla apua:
- Lumi sanoissamme
- Lumisanat

Kuinka monta sanoista tunsit entuudestaan? :wink:

Yle.fi has made a test on snow vocabulary in Finnish. You can find it here if you want to see how well prepared you are for this winter! :) (I suppose I need to practise a little bit more since I got only 6/10 points. Oops?)

If you're like me and need some more studying before you're ready to talk about snow, these two sites could be helpful:
- Lumi sanoissamme
- Lumisanat

How many of these words had you heard before? :wink:

:lol: I got 6/10 too, but it was just dumb luck. For some of them I was able to limit the choices down to two by eliminating one that I knew was wrong (relying mainly on Estonian cognates I think*), but beyond that I mostly just guessed.

*Like lumirulli probably goes with pyöreitä because that sounds like pöörata and that means "turn" and snow-rolls must turn as they roll...
Like painavaa, that's like painduv... wait... what do you mean "painavaa lunta" doesn't mean "flexible snow"??...

Actually the only one that seemed easy was söltsy, and I couldn't tell you why. I didn't know the word. It just sounds like it should mean "todella vetistä lunta, lähes vettä." In Estonian there's lörts with a similar meaning, not the same but the same sort of sound. I relied on onomatopoeic qualities to guess with höhhölumi, too, thinking it sounded right that it would be related to pakane/pakkanen/pakkaslumi which (yay!) did mean what I thought it would.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Re: Test your snow vocabulary and learn new snow words

Postby Naava » 2022-12-10, 23:55

Linguaphile wrote: :lol: I got 6/10 too, but it was just dumb luck.

At least I can say I knew most of the ones I got right. :lol: Although I guess knowing the words of your native language is like... not that impressive.

Like lumirulli probably goes with pyöreitä because that sounds like pöörata and that means "turn" and snow-rolls must turn as they roll...

*lumirulla

I like how you somehow used the wrong translation and still landed on the right answer. :D

(Pyöreä means 'round'. There are verbs like pyörtää (to turn around, to curve, to take (your words) back) and pyörähtää (to spin once, to twirl, to turn around) and pyörittää (to roll) so you weren't completely wrong!)

Like painavaa, that's like painduv... wait... what do you mean "painavaa lunta" doesn't mean "flexible snow"??...

:lol: Yes that's 100% the correct translation.

Actually the only one that seemed easy was söltsy, and I couldn't tell you why. I didn't know the word. It just sounds like it should mean "todella vetistä lunta, lähes vettä." In Estonian there's lörts with a similar meaning, not the same but the same sort of sound. I relied on onomatopoeic qualities to guess with höhhölumi, too, thinking it sounded right that it would be related to pakane/pakkanen/pakkaslumi which (yay!) did mean what I thought it would.

Same! I had never heard either word before, but they just sounded like what they meant. :)

I think I'd call höhhölumi höty, höyhtä or höttö (on the ground) or hile (in the air). Here's a nice selection of other options from different dialects, too! :mrgreen:

Speaking of lörts, by the way...

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”