Critical, alternative-thinking media in Finland?

Moderator:Naava

Woods
Critical, alternative-thinking media in Finland?

Postby Woods » 2021-11-03, 11:24

I haven't followed much of the the news in Finland due to bad Finnish skills.

One of the guys I happen to hang out with (for professional reasons) is constantly telling me how Finnish media is very much one-sided, there is no journalism here and he's even going as far as telling me there is no free speech. He's very smart but also doesn't seem to be able to tell fact from feeling. I'm like "I'm pretty sure everyone can write whatever they want - I just have the impression that the Finnish society is one where people generally agree with each other, so I wouldn't be surprised if 90% think the same and you don't hear alternative points of view because there is no one to write it and no one to read it." And he goes "no, no - people have been arrested for criticising the government." "Give me examples." And here the conversation ends.

So my question is, could you recommend some media which is more critical, not identical with the mainstream or at least a little bit more scrutinising of the actions of the ones in charge and the mainstrream? At the same time, I'm looking for something fact-based and not some whackery or conspiracy theories.

To illustrate what I mean, I will just take coronavirus as an example.

I open the Bulgarian media of my choice and within one week I read:

"record number of coronavirus cases - the healthcare system is about to burst"
"experts recommend that we get vaccinated"
"doctor X critical of the coronavirus vaccines"
"delta plus variant is here"
"doctor Y thinks our response to the healthcare crisis must be different"
"restaurant owners very unhappy with the coronapass"
"free testing here and there"
"Z got vaccinated and has no problem with it - more people should"
"politician W proposes the antibodies test be included for the covid certificates"

and so on - every angle, every point of view.

Then I open Hufvudstadsbladed and seeaaaaaaaaaarch for an article about the topic. I find only two, of the kind:

"restaurant owners are happy to require coronavirus pass, because now they can take in more customers"
"Mari and Jessica are super happy to show their coronavirus passes because now they feel more safe in the club.

So I am wondering where is the criticism, all the aspects, the info about the (small) protest in front of the Eduskunta last week, any questions about when this story is going to end, how long these certificates will be used, why are the antibodies tests not recognised, why is the government not paying for tests of those who don't want to get vaccinated or providing reasonably-priced testing, and whatever else there is to cover and comes to somebody's mind?

I had the same feeling a few months ago when I was searching about some construction project in Hernesaari. Since it's a quiet area very nice for a lonely walk and they have come up with a plan to build 7500 apartments or something like that, I was like hm, nobody criticising or complaining they won't make a park rather than apartments or something, that the small beach nearby will probably not look like a beach anymore but more like a transit stop amidst busses, tramways and traffic?

I open some Google results and they go "Hernesaari is finally getting what it deserves - this desolate useless place will get new life and become a new home for 7500 people!"

I would just expect some voices against, but no - is it that they don't exist or that the mainstream media doesn't cover them, or have I not found the right media?

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”