Need your help!

Moderator:Naava

Bobalosus
Need your help!

Postby Bobalosus » 2016-11-14, 18:43

Terve to all people here! Next week I'm going to Finland and I would like to learn some finnish phrases. P.S: Am I the only one who thinks that the language sounds awesome and very ancient?

1) I like Finland and finnish language very much
2) Let's get drunk together!
3) You are the most adorable

These are the phrases that I would like to learn. I didn't go to google translate website, 'because the translation there is rubbish. Kiitos to everyone in advance for your help.

Varislintu

Re: Need your help!

Postby Varislintu » 2016-11-15, 7:53

Bobalosus wrote:Terve to all people here! Next week I'm going to Finland and I would like to learn some finnish phrases. P.S: Am I the only one who thinks that the language sounds awesome and very ancient?

No, you're probably not the only one -- every now and then someone says something like that here in the Finnish subforum. :lol: :) :yep:

Bobalosus wrote:1) I like Finland and finnish language very much
2) Let's get drunk together!
3) You are the most adorable

These are the phrases that I would like to learn. I didn't go to google translate website, 'because the translation there is rubbish. Kiitos to everyone in advance for your help.

I'll do two versions, a standard written language one and a colloquial spoken language one. :P

Standard written language:

1) Pidän oikein paljon Suomesta ja suomen kielestä!
2) Juokaamme itsemme humalaan yhdessä!
3) Sinäpä olet mitä ihanin!

Spoken language one:

1) Tykkään tosi paljon Suomesta ja suomen kielestä!
2) Juodaan itsemme humalaan yhdessä! / Vedetään kännit yhdessä!
3) Säpä oot mitä ihanin!

Bobalosus

Postby Bobalosus » 2016-11-15, 12:36

Varislintu! Kiitos paljon for your help! I really appreciate it! You have written that there is a colloquial spoken language, that can be used too. So what kind of language should I speak with people, that I don't really know? Actually I want to learn some basic finnish for a start, but when I start thinking of learning it properly - this picture comes to my mind :D

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/b ... tid=179075

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-11-15, 16:09

Bobalosus wrote:Varislintu! Kiitos paljon for your help! I really appreciate it! You have written that there is a colloquial spoken language, that can be used too. So what kind of language should I speak with people, that I don't really know?

You can choose either, there's not a "politeness" difference between them per se, even though spoken language is of course less formal. It's just that a native speaker would usually not speak standard written language, only write it. But as a non-native, everyone will understand why you would speak the written language, so it's quite okay to do so. :)

Bobalosus wrote:Actually I want to learn some basic finnish for a start, but when I start thinking of learning it properly - this picture comes to my mind :D

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/b ... tid=179075

Heh, yeah, I can see how it's daunting. :lol: But maybe if you think of it as words with built-in prepositions, the kind that English has as well (in, on, from, to, etc), it won't seem as impossible to tackle. :P

Bobalosus

Postby Bobalosus » 2016-11-15, 19:08

Kiitos paljon for all the information provided :) I would also want to ask about the appropriate behavior in Suomi. I red, that it is not very acceptable to hug people, that you don't really know. And is it OK to friendly touch somebody (shoulder, back), just to show, express your goodwill, friendhip? Even if it doesn't mean any sexual implication at all :partyhat:

P.S: I found a list of comics, called "Finnish nightmares" on the web. They are very funny and we have a few similar situations over here in Latvia, but not that much exaggerated :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gr0p-lCbRGg/V ... nsuoja.jpg

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2016-11-15, 21:00

Bobalosus wrote:I red, that it is not very acceptable to hug people, that you don't really know. And is it OK to friendly touch somebody (shoulder, back), just to show, express your goodwill, friendhip? Even if it doesn't mean any sexual implication at all :partyhat:

Don't go hugging people you don't know. Just don't. :para:

Actually, don't even touch people you don't know. If you're friends with someone, then you may touch them on arms / back, but it depends on the person. Some are more ok with touching, some are very sensitive about it. When you're in Finland, see what other people are doing and follow their example. :mrgreen:

And of course, with very good friends there are no limits. (Except personalities. Some people like to touch and hug, some don't.)

Finnish Nightmares is a lovely comic! You can find it on facebook, too. It does exaggerate a bit, but often it's quite spot on. :D

Bobalosus

Postby Bobalosus » 2016-11-15, 22:43

Naava wrote:
Actually, don't even touch people you don't know. If you're friends with someone, then you may touch them on arms / back, but it depends on the person. Some are more ok with touching, some are very sensitive about it. When you're in Finland, see what other people are doing and follow their example. :mrgreen:

And of course, with very good friends there are no limits. (Except personalities. Some people like to touch and hug, some don't.)

Well, I have a pen pal in Helsinki and he invited me to his place, so i guess I should not hug him when we finally meet :mrgreen:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-11-16, 8:24

Naava wrote:Don't go hugging people you don't know. Just don't. :para:

Yes, I would say exactly this as well. :yep:

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2016-11-16, 11:05

Bobalosus wrote:Well, I have a pen pal in Helsinki and he invited me to his place, so i guess I should not hug him when we finally meet :mrgreen:

I'd say wait and see what he does. If he's ready to welcome you arms wide open, you may hug back. If he's just standing there and says "hi", do not go embracing him. If you want to be polite and show friendliness, you can say something like "it's so cool to be here at last, thanks for the invitation!"

Some more tips how to show you think his your friend and you respect him:
- listen what he says, don't interrupt too much (you don't have to be a robot and mechanically wait him to finish every sentence, but if you interrupt every second thing he says, it's rude)
- answer, preferrably with more than plain "ok"
- ask his opinion, eg. "do you want to go to X or..?"
- and be honest: if he asks "do you want to --" and you're cold or hungry or just not interested, tell him. I'm not from Helsinki and I'm not a man, but I think it applies there too. You don't have to accept anything you don't want to, except maybe something that is given to you as a gift or if it's food. :mrgreen: Though usually people expect an excuse why you don't want something, as in "no, tbh it doesn't really sound so cool to me". But I mean, it's fine to say you don't want to do or get something, even if you don't know each other super well.

I think these are quite universal, after all, but these are ways of showing you're friendly without touching anyone. :)

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”