Unilang beginner finnish audio?

Moderator: Naava

Trapy

Unilang beginner finnish audio?

Postby Trapy » 2012-11-02, 18:06

Hi all,

is there any audio for the beginner course on unilang here? course.php?res=65&id=fi1_en#ci-l1greetings

I am not very good with x-sampa or ipa. Another student and I would like to learn this together, but the closest i have to finnish phonology is hungarian, and very weak at that. So, some audio or another beginner course with some audio links would be awesome.

If we have the motivation to push through this, I will probably purchase a Teach Yourself or Colloquial version, but i just need to prove to myself that I can stick to it, and some audio would go a long way to it.

edit- just to note, we plan on conversing more than writing, as we're both Audio learners, so as to why getting the audio is so vital to our not getting bad habits now.

edit 2: just for my reference, good but not words on course: view.php?res=53
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

Varislintu

Re: Unilang beginner finnish audio?

Postby Varislintu » 2012-11-02, 18:56

I don't think there was audio for that one, no.

I had a couple texts with audio up on the wiki at some point, but I don't know if they're still there.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

chung

Postby chung » 2012-11-02, 19:17

I think that you'd like Uuno and Oneness' Finnish course as beginners looking for (free) short courses with audio.

If you're choosing between TY and Colloquial, I'd pick TY even though it's not my first choice. Colloquial... has many dialogues that will introduce you to colloquial Finnish (i.e. Finnish as you're most likely to encounter it when it's spoken by the natives among themselves) but the author seems to try to make a statement by using notation and explanations for the grammar that differ radically from what's used by Finnish linguists or lexicographers.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2012-11-02, 19:40

chung wrote:I think that you'd like Uuno and Oneness' Finnish course as beginners looking for (free) short courses with audio.

These both look good. Oneness look s a tad more structured, so i think i'll start with this one. Thanks!

If you're choosing between TY and Colloquial, I'd pick TY even though it's not my first choice. Colloquial... has many dialogues that will introduce you to colloquial Finnish (i.e. Finnish as you're most likely to encounter it when it's spoken by the natives among themselves) but the author seems to try to make a statement by using notation and explanations for the grammar that differ radically from what's used by Finnish linguists or lexicographers.

This is why I love/hate both these series. Some are jewels, and others nightmares. But atleast I have 2 to choose from. Besides TY, as it's not your first choice (these are just 2 series that I know I can find, and at a budget price (aka under $30)), what else would you reccommend?

chung

Postby chung » 2012-11-02, 20:10

My first choice is "Finnish for Foreigners" by Aaltio. Unfortunately it's probably beyond your budget as getting the complete set (i.e. both volumes for both levels including their audio) could run between 125 and 150 quid if you buy from third-party sellers on amazon.co.uk at the lowest prices.

Have you considered getting Finn Talk used by Finn Guild? I've never used it but have heard good things about it, and the price seems closer to your budget level (30 quid before shipping for the book and audio of each level).

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2012-11-02, 22:44

aie, 125 is indeed a good bit out of our budget.

i really have not read any reviews on any product yet. we had been tossing the idea of learning finnish for a while, but only the other day we decided to try it. note: we have not even started. given that i am a terrible drifter between languages, i wanted to get a nice solid "yes, this is something i can commit to" before i buy any products :D . I had never heard of finn talk, i will definately keep that in mind when we take it to the next level, where "freemium" products just can't cut it.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”