Native Finnish speakers’ perceptions about the syntactic...

Moderator: Naava

Schalksnarr

Native Finnish speakers’ perceptions about the syntactic...

Postby Schalksnarr » 2012-07-14, 21:21

The full title of this topic was meant to be:
Native Finnish speakers’ perceptions about the syntactic complexity of their mother tongue

As a native Spanish speaker, the first impression I got when I started reading about Finnish grammar was: ‘I’m never gonna learn this’ (which wasn’t completely wrong) Everything seemed to be so puzzlingly irregular! The verbs are okay to me, since we have similar conjugation patterns in Spanish, but the Finnish case system appears to be just untamable. Ironically, this fact was one of the aspects that, because challenging, made me feel attracted to this beautiful language and go on studying it.
Now, I’d like to have an idea as to how native Finnish speakers perceive the complexity of their mother tongue. Do you perceive it at all? How common is it for you to mistake one case for another? How about lexical distinctions that depend on the length of the vowels and consonants, such as tuli/tuuli/tulli? Are they as clear to you when interacting orally as they are when reading? At what age does an average Finnish child master the said inflection systems?

Thank you all in advance for your replies!
Mother tongue: [flag]es-AR[/flag]
Proficient in: [flag]en[/flag]
Good at: [flag]de[/flag]
Not bad at: [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]bg[/flag]
Wanna learn: [flag]grn[/flag] and [flag]fi[/flag]

razlem

Re: Native Finnish speakers’ perceptions about the syntactic...

Postby razlem » 2012-07-15, 2:14

Interesting. I actually find the Finnish case system intuitive and the long vowels/geminates fairly easy to distinguish.

On the other hand, I have so much trouble with Spanish. The object pronouns always throw me off, and eve after 4 years of study I still can't understand spoken dialects. XD

Edit: I'll add that I'm a native English speaker and German is my familial language.
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Miumau

Postby Miumau » 2012-07-18, 15:41

Native Finnish speaker here...

To answer your question, no, I don't perceive Finnish as complex :D But I guess no native speaker of any language would find their own mother tongue complex, or even be able to perceive its complexity... Although I do realise that the grammatical structures and the syntax are different from Indo-European languages, which are the point of reference for most non-native speakers. But I think that's cool, it gives perspective to learning languages, knowing that things can be expressed in many ways.

Native speakers obviously usually don't make mistakes with cases. As regards noun inflection, there are some old (often agricultural) words that are not much in use anymore, where mistakes occur nowadays (e.g. ori:oriin, ruis:rukiin). As for correct case usage, only in some very complex sentence structures, such as when using non-finite clauses ('lauseenvastike'), there may be some confusion regarding which case to use. But these rarely come up in spoken language. Kids also learn the inflections and correct case usage along with everything else, so I think already the youngest kids who are able to form any kind of coherent sentences would be able to inflect nouns and use cases more or less correctly.

The short/long distinction in vowels and consonants is clear and unambiguous to a native speaker also in spoken language.

Veqq

Postby Veqq » 2012-07-24, 10:00

The short/long distinction in vowels and consonants is clear and unambiguous to a native speaker also in spoken language.

Regaurding that... A few days ago when I was asked where I was staying I said asun valilassa and was answered by total confusion missä?!?! And I was like? ...in valila? Valila? wtf is that? Then I was like, OH, Valilla! So... That distinction is super obvious and as essential as voicing is to English speakers, it would appear. :P
Skype me: Veqqio
Ich lern Deutsch. я учу русский.

Schalksnarr

Postby Schalksnarr » 2012-07-26, 3:01

Very interesting replies! Thank you all for sharing your perspectives!
Mother tongue: [flag]es-AR[/flag]
Proficient in: [flag]en[/flag]
Good at: [flag]de[/flag]
Not bad at: [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]bg[/flag]
Wanna learn: [flag]grn[/flag] and [flag]fi[/flag]

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2012-10-05, 12:34

Veqq wrote:Regaurding that... A few days ago when I was asked where I was staying I said asun valilassa and was answered by total confusion missä?!?! And I was like? ...in valila? Valila? wtf is that? Then I was like, OH, Valilla! So... That distinction is super obvious and as essential as voicing is to English speakers, it would appear. :P

You mean Vallila? :P ;)

But yes, this distinction is very important and can throw off a native completely, because it also matters so much for deducing what the stem for the word is, or even what case the word is in.

I was once baffled by the word "tettä", which was supposed to be "teetä", but I could not understand what it could possibly be. The stem for a hypothetical word "tettä" would be "tet" or something, or "tesi", which already leads you very far from the intended "tee". :P
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

language learner

Postby language learner » 2012-10-05, 17:53

Wouldnt te also give tettä? And why is the partitive of tee teetä instead of teettä?

Osprey

Postby Osprey » 2012-10-05, 22:01

имен wrote:Wouldnt te also give tettä? And why is the partitive of tee teetä instead of teettä?

Because teettä is not partitive but abessive case, meaning "without tea".
Te (you) can not be tettä but teittä (abessive; "without you"). Partitive would be teitä.
CouchSurfing: lakeinen
My blogs: http://palinzon.wordpress.com/ http://sitkas.wordpress.com/

language learner

Postby language learner » 2012-10-06, 6:12

I thought it would follow the paradigm of nouns ending in -e huone ~ huonettä ~ huoneettä, but it might be the case it doesn't since it's a foreign word.

Osprey

Postby Osprey » 2012-10-06, 13:26

имен wrote:I thought it would follow the paradigm of nouns ending in -e huone ~ huonettä ~ huoneettä, but it might be the case it doesn't since it's a foreign word.

huone - huonetta (partitive) - huoneetta (abessive) (we can't say these with ä :) )
tee - teetä (partitive) - teettä (abessive) (but I've never heard anyone to say so, normally it is just "ilman teetä" :) )
CouchSurfing: lakeinen
My blogs: http://palinzon.wordpress.com/ http://sitkas.wordpress.com/

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”