FINNISH TEXT TO SPEECH ENGINE

Moderator: Naava

Jnɨɨñɨ

FINNISH TEXT TO SPEECH ENGINE

Postby Jnɨɨñɨ » 2011-08-24, 4:04

In Finnish, the main stress is always on the first syllable of the word. Vowels elsewhere than in the first syllable therefore do not receive main stress.

Finnish sentence intonation is generally falling, but the first syllable of the final word of a sentence can nevertheless be pronounced with a rising intonation without the word being given a strong stress.

And when a word needs to be given particularly strong emphasis this is done by means of intonation. Such a word is often moved to the beginning of the sentence.

Even knowing these things, I often find it hard to pronounce long sentences in Finnish, and that's when I wish I had any FINNISH TEXT TO SPEECH ENGINE.

This software called TEXT ALOUD is wonderful, since you can check pronounciation, stress and entonation of words and phrases and even paragraphs. One types anything in a text-box, then all you have to do is pushing a button and then you can listen the spoken version of what you've just typed. It is perfect!

BUT this hasn't worked for me to learn Finnish since I'm missing a good FINNISH TEXT TO SPEECH ENGINE (that is, one of the voices to install which should allow me to listen to written text in Finnish).

Is there any good web-site where one can download any good text-to-speech engine (a finnish voice)?

This page is a good one, but it is the 'online' version and therefore it cannot be used wihout connecting to internet, nor can you save your spoken text as a .mp3 file.

ANY HELP?

Thanks, folks!

Miumau

Re: FINNISH TEXT TO SPEECH ENGINE

Postby Miumau » 2011-08-24, 12:42

I don't know about any site, but I would say just speak as monotonically as possible (but keeping the stress on the first syllable) and you'll do fine :haharight:

Jnɨɨñɨ

Postby Jnɨɨñɨ » 2011-08-26, 1:52

Miumau wrote:I don't know about any site, but I would say just speak as monotonically as possible (but keeping the stress on the first syllable) and you'll do fine :haharight:

:ohwell: Thanks anyway.
Furthermore that would be piracy.

MillMaths

Re: Finnish text-to-speech engine

Postby MillMaths » 2011-08-28, 10:08

adam0718

Postby adam0718 » 2011-08-30, 7:53

Text Speaker will work for you if you have a Finnish SAPI voice. You can get Text Speaker here: http://www.deskshare.com/text-to-speech-software.aspx. I think Nuance produces a Finnish voice that sounds good.

Jnɨɨñɨ

Postby Jnɨɨñɨ » 2011-09-02, 22:21

Sophie wrote:Etsi tämä! :D

Kiitos, "Sophie".
Minä estin! :wink:
Mutta:
Jnɨɨñɨ wrote:This page is a good one, but it is the 'online' version and therefore it cannot be used wihout connecting to internet, nor can you save your spoken text as a .mp3 file.

Ja tuntuu että molemmat internetsivut ovat yhtä. :|

Jnɨɨñɨ

Postby Jnɨɨñɨ » 2011-09-02, 22:32

adam0718 wrote:Text Speaker will work for you if you have a Finnish SAPI voice..

Thanks for your answer, adam718!
THAT is just the problem.
I don't have any finnish Text to Speech Engine (any finnish 'VOICE').
I've been told loquendo has some two voices both male and female ('Mikko' and 'Milla'), but I have not been able to download them, since I can't find any web site where to do it :?

I've got this sftware 'TEXT ALOUD', which is a text speaker.
Is Nuance like Loquendo or something?

mariag1211

Postby mariag1211 » 2012-01-31, 10:45

Classic Text To Speech Engine from SVOX, in combination with our 40+ male/female voices portfolio of 25+ languages, allows you to read aloud texts from your e-book, navigation, translation and other apps.When combined with TTS-enabled apps, our voices can:
- give directions, allowing you to keep your eyes on the road while you're driving
- read a notification containing the caller / sender's name, and read the content of an incoming call / sms / mms / email
- read aloud your favorite e-books or pdf documents
- help you learn by reading aloud the correct pronunciation.
motivacion
*What doesn't kill you make you stronger*

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”