Hungarian and Finnish

Moderator: Naava

oico2388

Hungarian and Finnish

Postby oico2388 » 2011-06-01, 14:24

Why is Hungarian related to the Finnish language? I could understand Estonian why is related they are close to each other geographically.

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Hungarian and Finnish

Postby Reinder » 2011-06-01, 14:31

Finnish and Estonian are more related to each other than Finnish and Hungarian.
Finnish and Estonian are both Finnic languages and Hungarian is not.
Hungarian is an Ugric language.
All three are Finno-Ugric languages, but that doesn't mean they have to be that closely related.
For instance English and Icelandic are both Germanic languages, but the are not that closely related, because English is a West Germanic language and Icelandic is a North Germanic language.
Image Image Image | Image Image | Image

maeng

Postby maeng » 2011-06-01, 21:46

Seriously?

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-06-02, 10:37

I see now that I misunderstood you question.
I don't know why that is, maybe because of immigrants? I really don't know, it's a big distance geographically indeed.
Image Image Image | Image Image | Image

maeng

Postby maeng » 2011-06-02, 12:02

One would expect for you to know the answer seeing that you are a Colombian native living in the US. Why (asking how would seem more sensible in this context) is English related to Hindi? Languages don't have to be geographically adjacent to be related. At one point Hungarians were pastoral nomads and they migrated towards the west along the steppes and gradually reached Europe. Also Proto-Finnic was originally spoken more to the east. Both Finnish and Hungarian are derived from a single proto-language which was once spoken somewhere between the rivers Volga and Kama. I won't go into more detail since it hardly seems worth it.

Parasztember

Postby Parasztember » 2012-05-19, 8:30

Reinder,
The distance between hungarian and finnish language at least so great, like the distance between the dutch and the greek within the indoeuropean family.
We can understand actually nothing from finnish, but we can understand a few from croatian and slovak for example.
Finns and a hungarians have a few hundred relate words, and the pronounciation is somewhat similar. Both language is agglutinating, but that's only about.
Furthermore, our historical cohabitation with finnish people is unprovable in archaeological, cultural and genetical point of view.

Moniqiili

Postby Moniqiili » 2012-06-03, 16:20

maeng wrote:One would expect for you to know the answer seeing that you are a Colombian native living in the US. Why (asking how would seem more sensible in this context) is English related to Hindi? Languages don't have to be geographically adjacent to be related. At one point Hungarians were pastoral nomads and they migrated towards the west along the steppes and gradually reached Europe. Also Proto-Finnic was originally spoken more to the east. Both Finnish and Hungarian are derived from a single proto-language which was once spoken somewhere between the rivers Volga and Kama. I won't go into more detail since it hardly seems worth it.

Please go into more detail I am so interested in Finno ugriq Uraliq Turqo Altaiq and Ainoo Japanese and korean are so similar but they are so different from chinese Yet Kanji has heavily influenced them.
Save languages, learn new ones,

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”