Populääri Musiikkia

Moderator:Naava

Jaikkuli
Populääri Musiikkia

Postby Jaikkuli » 2011-04-03, 11:39

I'm reading a book and I've came across a sentence which I don't fully understand how it works, despite getting a clear enough understanding of what it means. Hopefully someone can help take the time to deconstruct this sentence so I can get a better understanding of why it is this way.

"Olin viisivuotias, ja kuulin lähestyvien koneiden jyskeen."

The word "Jyskeen" is the problem. It is illative or genetive?! And why is it either, couldn't it just be nominative or partitive? My best English translation, keeping faithful to the grammatical structure is as follows:

"I was five, and I heard the approaching of the machines' growl"

Why "jyskeen", why not partitive or nominative. Can someone phrase it in English differing from my translation that might make it clear? :hmm:

Varislintu

Re: Populääri Musiikkia

Postby Varislintu » 2011-04-03, 12:17

Jaikkuli wrote:I'm reading a book and I've came across a sentence which I don't fully understand how it works, despite getting a clear enough understanding of what it means. Hopefully someone can help take the time to deconstruct this sentence so I can get a better understanding of why it is this way.

"Olin viisivuotias, ja kuulin lähestyvien koneiden jyskeen."

The word "Jyskeen" is the problem. It is illative or genetive?! And why is it either, couldn't it just be nominative or partitive? My best English translation, keeping faithful to the grammatical structure is as follows:

"I was five, and I heard the approaching of the machines' growl"

Why "jyskeen", why not partitive or nominative. Can someone phrase it in English differing from my translation that might make it clear? :hmm:

(The title should be a compund word: Populäärimusiikkia ;).)

The word is in genitive or n-accusative (they're identical, and some claim they're the same thing). Nominative 'jyske' (thumping by something hard and heavy). It's in n-accusative (/genitive) because it's the object of the sentence.

Translating, it would be:

"I was five, and I heard the thumping of (the) approaching machines."

Hope that clarifies :).

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”