Additions to Unilang's Resources on Finnish

Moderator:Naava

maeng
Re: Additions to Unilang's Resources on Finnish

Postby maeng » 2010-04-21, 9:23

Naurava kulkuri wrote:I just came across Learn Finnish pronunciation in less than 10 minutes. Not bad, I think.

Well not bad, maybe you can get the gist of Finnish pronunciation, but at least some of the explanations are clearly erroneous.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2010-04-21, 15:26

maeng wrote:but at least some of the explanations are clearly erroneous.

Yeah, what is he saying about the reason for the extra l in 'laudeliina' :o? Okay, thought mistakes happen, but if you're making a Youtube video for learners, think things through :oops:.

Naurava kulkuri

Postby Naurava kulkuri » 2010-04-23, 19:22

Good points maeng and Varislintu. I was thinking about the pronunciation explanations -- to those of who understand some of English pronunciation already -- mainly and I didn't pay that much attention to anything else (and to tell the truth, I got the link elsewhere).

Hmm, yes, "laudeliina"... I claim my pronunciation has only one 'l' in there!

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2010-04-23, 20:15

Naurava kulkuri wrote:Hmm, yes, "laudeliina"... I claim my pronunciation has only one 'l' in there!

But that's technically "wrong" too (but since you're native, you can't be wrong-wrong ;)). Finnish nouns ending in -e are generally affected by end gemination, i.e. the following consonant is geminated. There are other words affected by this as well, like verbs in infinitive (antaa, syödä) and adverbs with -sti (huonosti, kolmasti). Newly borrowed nouns ending in -e seem to be exempt, however, like 'google' ("guugle"), and for many people it has also diappeared from the word 'kolme'.

(This for possible learners reading this topic, not particularly aimed at you, Naurava kulkuri.)

Naurava kulkuri

Postby Naurava kulkuri » 2010-04-24, 20:16

Varislintu wrote:
Naurava kulkuri wrote:Hmm, yes, "laudeliina"... I claim my pronunciation has only one 'l' in there!

But that's technically "wrong" too (but since you're native, you can't be wrong-wrong ;)). [...]
(This for possible learners reading this topic, not particularly aimed at you, Naurava kulkuri.)
Sometimes I've been thinking this. I've lived my whole life in Tavastia, but my home dialect is Karelian. I'm aware I speak somewhat differently not only because of the words and idioms themselves, but because of the note of my speech. It's not distintively Karelian ("singing"), but it doesn't sound Tavastian (I think more "monotonic") either.

Perhaps on issue here is that according to my observation, the pace of speech of those from Karelia is (much) faster and when veering closer to the standard language, one tend to drop letters like the 'l' in laude(l)liina. Though it could be that because of my very limited sample domain this doesn't hold water. :)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2010-04-24, 20:50

Naurava kulkuri wrote:Sometimes I've been thinking this. I've lived my whole life in Tavastia, but my home dialect is Karelian. I'm aware I speak somewhat differently not only because of the words and idioms themselves, but because of the note of my speech. It's not distintively Karelian ("singing"), but it doesn't sound Tavastian (I think more "monotonic") either.

Perhaps on issue here is that according to my observation, the pace of speech of those from Karelia is (much) faster and when veering closer to the standard language, one tend to drop letters like the 'l' in laude(l)liina. Though it could be that because of my very limited sample domain this doesn't hold water. :)

I know shamefully little about Finnish (or Karelian) dialects, or what developed from what, but since Estonian for example has not got the end gemination I guess it must be quite possible that some Finnish dialects don't either.

Naurava kulkuri

Postby Naurava kulkuri » 2010-04-25, 5:18

Varislintu wrote:I know shamefully little about Finnish (or Karelian) dialects, or what developed from what, but since Estonian for example has not got the end gemination I guess it must be quite possible that some Finnish dialects don't either.
My wife says I have it there, though not that audible since it's so short. If it weren't there, it would sound like two separate words or a set phrase, or an Italian speaking Finnish, but it does not. :) I guess I have to rely on her judgement, she's the one working with languages and stuff (and she's studied vocology etc.). :-P

One lives, one learns.

Miumau

Postby Miumau » 2010-05-07, 21:30

Varislintu wrote:I know shamefully little about Finnish (or Karelian) dialects, or what developed from what, but since Estonian for example has not got the end gemination I guess it must be quite possible that some Finnish dialects don't either.

Yeah, the South-Western Finnish dialects (lounaismurteet) - for example the ones spoken in Turku, Pori and Rauma - don't have the end gemination. For me, that is one of the things that sound the funniest in those dialects... ;) Also one of the most distinct traits. For example, they really do pronounce hernekeitto as hernekeitto, not hernekkeitto :roll: :lol:

These dialects have been affected by Estonian, and apparently also have many other things in common with it.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2010-05-07, 21:46

Miumau wrote:Yeah, the South-Western Finnish dialects (lounaismurteet) - for example the ones spoken in Turku

Oh, Turku :o? Wow, shows that I've mixed pretty exclusively with Swedish speakers during the months I've lived in Turku so far, as I hadn't realised that :blush:. Interesting :)!

kloie

Postby kloie » 2017-09-13, 12:37

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-05-17, 17:09

Does anyone know of any videos or dialogues in Finnish with transcription + translation? I'm trying to go through my textbooks but I'm finding it too boring, but I'm not quite ready for native media either. Really anything bilingual + audio that isn't old folk stories...

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2018-05-24, 19:34

Saim wrote:Does anyone know of any videos or dialogues in Finnish with transcription + translation? I'm trying to go through my textbooks but I'm finding it too boring, but I'm not quite ready for native media either. Really anything bilingual + audio that isn't old folk stories...

I know that you can find many videos on Yle Areena with subtitles, but I don't think they're also provided with a translation. However, I would suggest you try to watch the videos in Finnish with subtitles. I know how frustrating it can be to stop the video and look up the words you don't understand, but I reckon it's a good method to acquire new vocabulary.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

kloie

Postby kloie » 2019-01-22, 21:40

A grammar site for Finns learning English.
https://peda.net/oppimateriaalit/e-oppi ... tal-110915

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2023-01-19, 13:03

You can find an excellent list of Finnish postpositions with examples and translations to English here.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”