Re: Word association game / Sana-assosiaatioleikki suomeksi

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-11-08, 23:51

Massimiliano B wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:väsymys

exertion, strain, effort
:hmm: tiredness, fatigue?

Is this a better translation?

Yes. I haven't heard it used with the meanings you listed, just "tiredness, fatigue, exhaustion, weariness". I know that Estonian you wouldn't use the word väsimus to mean "exertion, strain, effort" but rather for what you feel as a result of those things (tiredness, etc); as far as I know it's the same in Finnish.
For the meanings you listed I think maybe ponnistus, vaiva, or pingotus would work better (but it may be that I'm too influenced by Estonian, which would use vaev, pingutus, ponnistus).

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2021-11-10, 15:41

Linguaphile wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:väsymys

exertion, strain, effort
:hmm: tiredness, fatigue?

Is this a better translation?

Yes. I haven't heard it used with the meanings you listed, just "tiredness, fatigue, exhaustion, weariness". I know that Estonian you wouldn't use the word väsimus to mean "exertion, strain, effort" but rather for what you feel as a result of those things (tiredness, etc); as far as I know it's the same in Finnish.
For the meanings you listed I think maybe ponnistus, vaiva, or pingotus would work better (but it may be that I'm too influenced by Estonian, which would use vaev, pingutus, ponnistus).

Yes, that's true. Exertion would be ponnistus, strain is rasitus, and effort is ponnistus, ponnistelu, vaivannäkö. Ponnistus is something you do once; gather all your strength and then act. Ponnistelu is more like struggling. Vaivannäkö is when you spend lots of energy and/or time to do something.

Fatigue could be translated as either väsymys or uupumus. Both could also be translated as "tiredness" or "to be tired" or "exhaustion". The difference is that uupumus is stronger or lasts longer than ordinary väsymys. For example, if someone complained they're väsynyt in the evening, I'd think they've been awake for too long and need to go to bed. If they said they're uupunut, I'd think they've been doing something very taxing on that day.

pingotus is not related to these. I suppose it's a false friend? It means that something (e.g. a piece of fabric) has been tensioned or stretched. It's also used metaphorically to mean that someone is too pedantic about something. (For example, this news headsline that says pingottaja stressaa vapaansa pilalle - pingottaja ruins their free days with stress.)
vaiva means burden, inconvenience, bother, or ailment.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-11-10, 16:35

Naava wrote:pingotus is not related to these. I suppose it's a false friend? It means that something (e.g. a piece of fabric) has been tensioned or stretched. It's also used metaphorically to mean that someone is too pedantic about something. (For example, this news headsline that says pingottaja stressaa vapaansa pilalle - pingottaja ruins their free days with stress.)

Definitely a false friend then. In Estonian it does mean exertion or effort. You can also specify that it's jõupingutus (physical exertion), vaimupingutus (mental strain), ülepingutus (overexertion), etc. It does mean "stretch" or "tightness" (as of fabric or a chain) in Estonian too, but not anything related to being "pedantic".

Naava wrote:vaiva means burden, inconvenience, bother, or ailment.

Vaev means the same in Estonian, but particularly "burden", and I'm pretty sure it's used in the sense of long-term hard work and strain (as a burden). Like where I might say in English that something would require a lot of effort and exertion, in Estonian I think I could use the word vaev. Now you've got me questioning that though. Maybe in English I'd just say it's a lot of trouble and there's no connection to effort and exertion after all. :mrgreen:

Edit: wait, no, I think it is....
Naava wrote:effort is ponnistus, ponnistelu, vaivannäkö

Your vaivannäkö for "effort" is vaevanägemine in Estonian, and EKSS lists vaev as a synonym for vaevanägemine. As a verb it becomes vaeva nägema - this is what I'm thinking of and how I would use it. In English you "put forth" effort or something "requires" effort, but in Estonian you "see" (or experience) vaev. Kind of like how in English saying that someone "takes pains to do something" is another way to say they put in effort to do it. Is nähdä vaivaa used this way?

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2021-11-12, 0:22

I had in mind the Italian word "fatica", which I know in Finnish is väsymys, but then I searched fatica on wordreference (Italian-English), and the first words I found were "exertion, strain, effort", so I wrote them

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”