VSL documentation project

Moderator:Naava

geoff
VSL documentation project

Postby geoff » 2006-06-12, 9:12

Terve!

The Finnish VSL is very lucky to currently have such dedicated teachers which go to great lengths to answer the questions of the students here. One of my peet peeves about the forum, however, is that these answers tend to get lost inside long threads over time, and especially new people don't usually feel liking reading through long threads if they are looking for a possibly simple thing that has maybe already been answered.

What I would like to encourage with this thread is that (some of) the many explanations given here in the forum be documented in the Wiki. I think it wouldn't be unreasonable that after having a question answered, and having understood the problem, the student would go to the Wiki and write up on the topic (in a general manner), using the example sentences given by the teacher in the forum, for example.
Some of the students here might feel too lazy to actually go and write about it afterwards, but please consider that your teacher wasn't too lazy to answer your question either!

Assuming this would work the disadvantage here would be that the Finnish section of the Wiki would probably turn into a bit of a mess, with random bits of information about random grammar questions, but I believe the wiki system is flexible enough for these sections to eventually grow together and be interlinked in some coherent form.
And at least it ensures that the grammar topics being covered are actually useful, as someone at least sometime was unsure about this information.

I have personally almost given up on getting people in the forum to add stuff to the wiki, so it would
only work if the teachers here actually encouraged and supervised this.

I think this could turn into a good resource and reference for the Finnish learners here, and also it would be a good base for creating new material, as it is usually very hard for native speakers to come up with teaching material without having some foundation to work on.

Mitä luulette?

geoff

MP: Sinun täytyy nousta ylös. Aurinko paistaa.
PM: Höh, mitä ihmeellista siinä on?
MP: Talvi on ohi, kevät on tullut ja elämä on ihana.
PM: Nukkuminenkin on ihanaa.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-06-12, 9:34

brilliant, I'm supporting this idea :wink:

geoff

Postby geoff » 2006-06-12, 12:50

Alcadras wrote:brilliant, I'm supporting this idea :wink:

Oletko tukemassa, vai tuetko? :wink:

geoff
Last edited by geoff on 2006-06-12, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

MP: Sinun täytyy nousta ylös. Aurinko paistaa.
PM: Höh, mitä ihmeellista siinä on?
MP: Talvi on ohi, kevät on tullut ja elämä on ihana.
PM: Nukkuminenkin on ihanaa.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-06-12, 12:57

ilman muuta,tuen :wink:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-06-12, 18:07

I don't know how it is for non-native learners, but the reason I usually find it so hard to get myself to add to the wiki is the difficulty of putting everything in some sort of logical order, when you are not intending to write a very thorough article.

Also there is the fact that I usually have no clue about official terminology, or which things are most important to a learner, or which explanations were truly helpful. Basically it's some warped perfectionism on my part that makes it hard. In the end I believe learners can understand what is meant even if you don't know the correct terms :).

That's why it would be great if indeed learners here could find it in themselves to add to the wiki those explanations that they thought were well formulated and/or helpful. You know which ones those are, so you are in a good position to do it :).

hreru

Postby hreru » 2006-06-12, 19:48

Well, generally a good idea indeed, but talking about any possible wiki contributions from me personally ... how to express this in the best way ... got it: my only hope is that those lazy students won`t be mistreated in the future. :oops:

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”